View Full Version : Model The pirate prop pack – WIP

11-09-2009, 09:53 AM
After playing trough the new Monkey Island episodes I decided I wanted to make some pirate stuff. And I thought maybe I could make a prop pack for TF2. I have done some skins in the past, but I haven’t really made custom models before. So let’s see how this goes

Here is the stuff I want to include. If there is anything more you want to see included, just let me know.

- nothing

- Cannon (partly textured)
- Closed treasure chest (model done)

to do:
- Wrecked boat
- Open treasure chest
- Cannonballs
- Raft
- Skybox pirate ship
- Skeleton

11-09-2009, 09:59 AM
so far i have modeled the cannon and the chest and is currently working on textures.

11-09-2009, 11:21 AM
impressively impressive, keep it up!

does the cannon have a fuse?

11-09-2009, 12:02 PM
You should, of course, have a cardboard parrot.

11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
You should, of course, have a cardboard parrot.

a parrot is a great idea. Im not good at drawing 2D cartoons. But if someone can draw it for me i will slapp it on a pice of virtual cardboard and include it in the pack.

i finished the skin for the main body of the cannon. it dosen't have any fuse yet. I i will add a fuse and some ropework later.

11-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Looking really great so far! I love custom content for TF2

11-10-2009, 04:12 PM
personally, the wheels look a bit out of place, maybe make them darker since they stick out to me.

11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
That looks incredibly blocky, you could almost make it more detailed with brushed alone :/ (most notable the wheels!)

The advantage of models is that they can be far more intricate than brushes can be. I personally think that you should rework these models so that all your curves have around x2 the number of points in them as they are waaaaay too blocky. as well as adding other details like faps in between planks of wood, chips, a proper race around where the axle joins the cannon's body etc. Then UV map it. then reduce the number of polys and adjust the newly messed up UV coords so that they look as much like the original as possible then compile the model using the LOD commands in the .qc so that as you get further from the model it swaps to the lower poly model to save on rendering.

For this I'd also make a normal map for a better texture in the cannon's body. Just make sure the normal map isn't too deep otherwise it might clash and look out of place with the rest of TF2's assets (which if they have a normal map it's a very subtle one)

11-10-2009, 06:11 PM
For a project like this, I'd give you a budget of 3000 polygons. Seems reasonable, that way you don't end up with ugly blocky shapes like YM suggested.

And the body of the cannon could go a little bit lighter, but that could just be the darkness of the render. Good work so far.

11-12-2009, 06:40 AM
thanks for the feedback.

I'll redo the wheels and add some more polys. Maybe i'll go back and ad some more detale to the main body later.

I have made a costome skinn for one of the boats from HL2 so that it fits more in with the TF2 textures. It's a fairly simple edit and i haven't put much work in it, but i think it should work fine:


11-12-2009, 01:42 PM
You should put more work to it :). Other stuff looks great so far

11-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I really like what you've done so far. Can't wait for that pirate ship.

11-20-2009, 01:14 PM
This looks amazing, great job