PDA

View Full Version : Model Tractor

ethankarnopp
12-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Modeled in Sketchup, painted in Photoshop, I'd love to collab with a REAL modeller on some things ;) hope you enjoy.

Mod edit: Added in images and download link to Acumen's finished model.

The Gentlemanne
12-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Nice

Engineer
12-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Wow! That looks great :O

Acumen
12-11-2009, 09:02 AM
woha, that looks fantasticly awesome !
don't know what you need a "real" modeler for. you seem to be able to pull everything of on your own :o

i'm absolutely loving this picture right here:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/geek/gars/images/6/7/5/4/tractorpaintover.jpg

screams tf2 all over it !
also the rest of your portfolio is pretty impressing :)
hope you'll be contributing much more to this community in the future ! maybe there'll be a tiny thing or two one can model over here ^^

edit: on a serious note, i really can't understand that you don't model this on your own, since you can use sketchup to such an extent that you shouldn't have no hard time to get into another modelling application :)

Westerhound
12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Oh god you're another one of these people who annoy me just because you're so awesome :|

Nutomic
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
If i wouldnt just be starting modeling, i would give it a try, but i think i wouldnt be able to do this...

Really nice portfolio you have.

Sgt Frag
12-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Really nice work there! Could be alot of fun to model.

frothy
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Wow, very awesome.

Acumen
12-11-2009, 12:53 PM
so, while starring at this picture over and over again.
would you want people to model this nice piece or what exactly was your intention.
cause i'd love to give it a go :)

Nutomic
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Thats exactly what he wants.

Acumen
12-23-2009, 04:56 AM
so, finally i could start with my try at your awesome tractor concept :)
after a while of blocking volumes out and getting lost in some details i got kinda confused about certain parts, because you were shifting details around on your concept sheets. some parts were on the left, then right. then you just left them out in some of the angled shots.
bottom line is, could you maybe put some minutes in this concept piece again and share some more detailled shots or higher res stuff with me ? maybe we could talk over icq/anything comparable and work through the parts i have problems realizing ?
or maybe i shall just draw some circles over your concepts to show which parts i mean ?

Anyways, here's the current progress so far :D

http://acumen-design.de/projects/show/tractor_wip.gif

ethankarnopp
12-23-2009, 09:03 AM
So cool dude, keep up the good work!

Acumen
12-23-2009, 09:07 AM
so could you enlighten/detail some areas when i tell you which ones are unclear to me, or shall i just model it, as i imagine it to be (some tractor research tells me to) ?
or do you have maybe higher res pictures of the sketchup models ?
Just thought i shall be as close to the concept as possible :o

Acumen
12-23-2009, 11:06 AM
k, another update :)
i kinda managed to get everything a bit more detailled. the behind is still to be done, but i'm gonna have to dig deep into google to find something - since you did some kind of rocket boost or whatever that is on the rear end :D

http://acumen-design.de/projects/show/tractor_wip2.gif

Dr. ROCKZO
12-23-2009, 09:17 PM
It's like an easy spot-the-difference. Well done Acumen!

Limesimme
12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
All I can say is
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1423216/TF2Maps/tummenupp.png
looks great!

Acumen
12-24-2009, 07:28 AM
k, since ethankarnopp is somewhere unreachable i spend the last day looking at vintage tractor pics which is kinda......well boring :D
So this is the progress so far. revisited almost every area i felt lacking and am now ready to tackle next stage, the cleaning up, since everything is rather sloppy ditched on top of each other ^^

http://acumen-design.de/projects/show/tractor_wip3.jpg

DaBeatzProject
12-24-2009, 08:05 AM
k, since ethankarnopp is somewhere unreachable i spend the last day looking at vintage tractor pics which is kinda......well boring :D
So this is the progress so far. revisited almost every area i felt lacking and am now ready to tackle next stage, the cleaning up, since everything is rather sloppy ditched on top of each other ^^

http://acumen-design.de/projects/show/tractor_wip3.jpg

Love it! Love it! Love it!

ethankarnopp
12-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey dude, sorry I was out and a bout with my buddies who are back in town from college, sorry I didn't catch that. Looks like you got by without me, awesome job so far dude, I gotta find a way to subscribe to this thread or something so I don't miss out on any of the new updates. Let me know if there is anyway I can help you further! Looks rad!

DaBeatzProject
12-24-2009, 10:05 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/4j9k6a.jpg

SiniStarR
12-24-2009, 10:10 AM
acumen...ftw

Tapp
12-24-2009, 09:32 PM
:O Waaant! The rear top (boot) seems a bit bare, maybe add a hose or something. Or leave it, either way looks great.

Sel
12-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Good model, only thing I have to say is that you should consider making the front and back grates just be done in the texture, rather than modeled in.

Either way though, great work.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow
12-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Can't believe I didn't see this before.

Overall, looks pretty good with the tf2 style (exaggerations and whatnot). A couple of things are off compared to real life tractors, such as the cab sitting far forward and the lack of stuff in the back (hydraulic hoses, draw bar, 3 point hitch) but I actually work with/on tractors, so thats just me :-)

Acumen
12-25-2009, 03:03 AM
thank you so much for your feedback all around !
gotta tell you guys one thing, it was reeeeally hard for me to capture the level of detail of the concept and add some missing details to it on the back and inside of the tractor. i'm still not quite there but on a good way i think. I'm really excited to see how this one develops since it's a rather huge object for me again comparable to the drill model - so i hope i have the energy to finish it soon !

ethankarnopp: if you don't mind i'd leave it as it is - i hope i stayed true to your concept ?

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow:
yes it was kinda weird to actually search for vintage tractors and to find out that a whole lot of tech sits in these machines - especially in the back side which was often the most detailled part - which put me in a bad situation, since ethankarnopp had the back side the least detailled. So i took something from this tractor, and something from that and invented this weird back side with tool box attached underneath it :D

Selentic:
the grates definately need to be modeled for such a huge object :)

zpqrei
12-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Holycrapsexy

ethankarnopp
12-25-2009, 09:23 AM
yea man you did a great job so far, I definitely dig it so far and am excited to see the next steps. The entire concept was pretty simplified, I didn't want to draw up tons of mechanical doo-dads in areas that would just busy up the overall shape of the tractor. While it may not be completely accurate, I think as a whole the likeness is still present without needing to worry about loose mechanics. Anyway as I said, great job, hope you still have the energy for more :)

12-25-2009, 03:19 PM
thank you so much for your feedback all around !
gotta tell you guys one thing, it was reeeeally hard for me to capture the level of detail of the concept and add some missing details to it on the back and inside of the tractor. i'm still not quite there but on a good way i think. I'm really excited to see how this one develops since it's a rather huge object for me again comparable to the drill model - so i hope i have the energy to finish it soon !

If you'd like, I could head out to the shop tomorrow and snap a few pictures of the console area/rear of a few tractors. We've got 2 or 3 that look very much like what you're doing, and several others from that time period, though cabless (they're all put away for winter, so some of the shots many not be pristine lighting).

Acumen
12-26-2009, 02:20 AM
i think that would be really helpful for some nifty detail.
but like i said, the stylized look doesn't scream for 100% accurate stuff so i hope you wouldn't be mad because i left some (or even more) things out - e.g. "artistic" (as artistic as this might get) freedom :D
i really don't wanna make promises on this one. i'm definately be trying new shapes and details but if i should think it doesn't go too well, then i'll leave it as it is.
so i think it's up to you if you think it shall be worth your precious time :)

12-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Understandable, but it just might be nice to know (particularly for the cab) that there are some levers/pedals and where they generally go. :-)

It'll be later today before I can get out to the shop.

Vander
12-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Threads like this are why I love this community.

12-26-2009, 06:59 PM
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l35/TheDarkestShadow_2006/TF2/inspiration/tractors/

Various shots of the back/cabs of tractors, as well as a few body shots of some that are similar to what you're doing :-)

Dr. ROCKZO
12-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Threads like this are why I love this community.

Then I REALLY love this community.

Acumen
12-27-2009, 07:21 AM
hey TheDarkerSideofYourShadow, these are some really helpful shots !
especially for the steering wheel and gadgets around that area - i'll definately go over that area again !

haha, and i tell you something. when i was on my way home i saw a similar vintage tractor standing in backyard of a neighbour - but i was too afraid of running around that thing and taking photos :D

12-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah, we have some old tractors. I mean from the war old. The problem is no one knows which war :-/

If you ever want to do a tracked tractor (like a Caterpillar) we still have some of the small ones around, the rest we recently disposed of for a shiny newer one.

gamemaster1996
12-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Have you got it to work in hammer yet.
If you have can you please make a tutorial for the process you've done (made in sketchup and textured in photoshop).

ethankarnopp
01-02-2010, 07:10 PM
I haven't used the skp plugins for hammer, nor have I ever really used hammer other than just messing around. I think even with sketchup you will most likely need at least blender to touch up the model a bit and texture it, but I'm not really a 3D guy so I'm kindof clueless. Personally I just used sketchup for making quick orthographics, I'm a 2D artist so if I'm drawing something that requires a lot of linear perspective it's way quicker for me to quickly model in sketchup and paint over it rather than draw out perspective grids. Ontop of that it's also great because once you have the model you can make some quick orthographic projections for modelers. I could do a tutorial for making sketchup models but from there I really don't know much about converting them to anything that can be used in-game.

Note: I do know that Sketchup pro has export to .obj feature which might save you a lot of trouble if you are really into it.

Westerhound
01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
So wait, are you telling me that you made all that in google sktechup? O_O

gamemaster1996
01-03-2010, 10:22 AM
I haven't used the skp plugins for hammer, nor have I ever really used hammer other than just messing around. I think even with sketchup you will most likely need at least blender to touch up the model a bit and texture it, but I'm not really a 3D guy so I'm kindof clueless. Personally I just used sketchup for making quick orthographics, I'm a 2D artist so if I'm drawing something that requires a lot of linear perspective it's way quicker for me to quickly model in sketchup and paint over it rather than draw out perspective grids. Ontop of that it's also great because once you have the model you can make some quick orthographic projections for modelers. I could do a tutorial for making sketchup models but from there I really don't know much about converting them to anything that can be used in-game.

Note: I do know that Sketchup pro has export to .obj feature which might save you a lot of trouble if you are really into it.

Ok in which case can you maybe show us through the sketchup bit an then maybe work with someone through the rest of the process?

The Political Gamer
01-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Acumen I think that is some of your best work yet! :D

Acumen
01-04-2010, 01:43 PM
thx, was a pain in the ass to finish this texture :D
man i hate these complex models ^^
anyways i guess it was vfig who suggested to try the phong shading with the whales so now i tried it with the tractor too and don't know which shading to go for. Left or Right?

http://www.acumen-design.de/projects/show/tractor_ingame.jpg

Sel
01-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Excellent work.

Owlruler
01-04-2010, 02:16 PM
left

Smetzle
01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Left looks a bit better.

EArkham
01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Definitely left.

Oh, and damn fine work!

Kep

YM
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Edging slowly towards the right, what lightwarp are you using? weapon, hand...?

I'd personally go for a smoother lightwarp than what you're using.

Acumen
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
the pyro one. i just copy/pasted this line from the bombcart material, since i'm not too much the material tech genius :/
just did some research, which of the existing lightwarps would you use ? Or did you mean, make my own ?
anyways, just did a little map mockup to pay tribute to ethankarnopps original concept !

http://www.acumen-design.de/projects/show/tractor_ingame2.jpg

VelvetFistIronGlove
01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
I think the one on the right looks better. Most detail props in the game are not phong lit (although the old-style truck is IIRC an exception). But since this is a large prop that won't be densely used, I'd say go for it.

Acumen
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
the bombcart uses one, too. well i'm not too sure on this. YM said i should try a custom lightwarp, which i did, but i see hardly a difference and kinda like both effects...
right now it's 3:2 for the lefter side :D

EArkham
01-04-2010, 04:14 PM
To be fair, the rubber parts of the wheels do look better on the right, but the metal/body parts look so much better on the left that it's no contest for me.

I wonder how much our respective monitor settings are affecting our choices, heh.

Kep

VelvetFistIronGlove
01-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Well then, use a phong mask with a high exponent on the body and a low exponent on the tires (or is it the other way around? I forget).

Westerhound
01-04-2010, 06:42 PM
YOU ARE SO AWESOME, ITS FUNNY TO ME!

Also note that you are credit to team
and
flawless victory, now do it again!

Rexy
01-04-2010, 06:42 PM
I'd go with just specular, unless you can find a lightwarp that looks really good. As YM suggested, a custom one might be the way to go. But as much as I have found, (this isn't always true) phong shaded items are usually reserved for gameplay items, weapons, resupply cabinets, player models and so on. If you're making a vehicle for tf2, check out what material parameters are being used for other vehicles in tf2. That would clue you in.

01-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Man, looks amazing.

EArkham hit it right on for me. The right looks better for the tires and wheels, while the cab/body look too shiny there, and perfect on the left.

Engineer
01-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Great job!:thumbup: I know i will surely use them one day.

Acumen
01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
K, finished the model today. Did some LOD - Levels as well - what a shitty work task ! Comes with 6733, 4493, 2889 triangles. Have fun, would love to see this model in a couple of maps in the future :)

http://forums.tf2maps.net/enlighten/buttons/download.gif (http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3072&act=down)

Also reposting the ingmae picture, just so you know what's one click ahead - just take the risk !

http://www.acumen-design.de/projects/show/tractor_ingame2.jpg

Owlruler
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Question, is there a collision mesh?

Acumen
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
yup there is :) learned my lesson after people explained the importance of collision meshes to me.
did that hold you back from downloading and having a look at it ?? :O
i always wonder why people just not dl some 5-10mb to just spin it around in model viewer - i always do this with released models :D

YM
01-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Model = stunning and beyond belief

LOD models = very poorly executed and really quite terrible.

:(

Here's why:
The initial model is so incredibly high poly count (stupidly high) but doesn't drop for a big distance, then the first polys to go are the most noticable, and some of the polys left in the very final LOD are some of the least noticable and should have been the first to go.

I'd like to urge you to re-do your LOD models.

LOD | Metric | description
1 | 30 | Small slits in rear tires lost. Front wheel loses curvature on hubcap slightly. Insides of all wheels loses detal. Most detail inside the cabin starts to dissapear, bolts become a single, square plane floating (no side polys). The gearstick can lose masses of polys, can become 4 maybe 5 sided cylinder. Chair can lose roundness. Radiator grills can become straight
2 | 60 | Radiator grills become a single quad, no sides like the bolts. steps on the ladder can become a single quad also, text becomes floating polys, no sides. Most detail in cabin dissapears, chair loses more definition, it's bracket on the floor dissapears all together, put tansfer it's colour to the texture space underneath it instead of having jet black. Maintain the shape of the rear wheel's hubcap at all costs but lose polys in the detail there too. Lose detail in the tire grips before the side profile of the wheel. general reductions in the roof, bumper, exhaust and lose lots from the curvature of the tanks underneath. Lose the hinges from the door on the back.
3 | 90/100 | Sides of the ladders can now be single planes (visible from the front, use $nocull in the vmt or to keep them visible from the back or make them triangluar prisms). Begin to lose detail in the rear wheel's hubcap. tanks underneath should be almost cubes and supports to front wheels should be as simple as possible, text dissapears, if the steering wheel isn't alreadt it should now become a ring of one-sided polys (best to use nocull instead of making everything triangles) the shaft it's held on should be 4 sided by now too. The seat also should be really blocky. Box under the back should be 6 sided now.
4 | 120/130 | All detail on the side of the back wheels should be gone but maintain the shape of the centre hub and get rid of that terrible black ring around it, very unprofessional LOD. Either reduce the tire grip to just the top planes losing the sides or make the texture on the surface of the wheel the right colour (not black) (or do both). steeringwheel shaft should now be triangular prism, as should the gearstick. Door on the back and it's hinges should have their colour transfered to the polygons below and be removed totally. Rear axle, combine the two sides of it into one and make it four sided. In this final LOD more curvature should be lost from the roof as well as the exhaust

Your LODs make me a very sad bunny, seeing such a professional model gimped so unnecessarily by such sloppy LOD models. The LODs are the only reason why I won't consider using this model. I'd absolutely love to get it in any future maps of mine, its just let down so badly by the LODs :(

You need to re-jigger your LOD making attitude, you're keeping details that aren't needed like the steering wheel, chair, gearstick and front wheel supports but losing the details that are integral to the model like the rear tire's shape. At a distance the tires are a large, visible, feature of the model, the interior of the cabin and the grills aren't, those are the areas polys need to be shaved off first.

Please, please, please, re do your LODs and really make this the finest custom tf2 model!

gamemaster1996
01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I think valve'll want this for a map at some point (as they need more farm maps theres only 1/2 officials). They need to redo their old maps.

Acumen
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
whaaaaaaat ?
took me so long to do them - oh boy :D

just a quick explanation of my workflow for the LOD's. studied the dumptruck and oriented on the general polycount.
then i put my 4 models in max next to each other. moved them so i have 4 different distances and then i just looked at what details to lose and which to keep.
so my argumention would be just that i didn't know how the LOD would function ingame. i guess i had different distances in mind when getting rid of detail :)
and i never experienced how the model lod's pop up ingame. laziness you are my friend :(

i'll be sure to check over this again since you did such a long explanation ! that's the kind of feedback one can only get when someone tries the model ingame. thanks a ton for that ! i pinned your table on the screen and make my way through it :)

edit: ok i just counterchecked ingame. that was really my misconception. i didn't think that the model will pop out so quickly - i really thought that it would be like 10px wide until it collapses so much. learned another thing from that !

Rexy
01-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I've found that if you're manually editing the mesh to create LOD models, it can be quite imperfect. If you're going to make them, I would strongly recommend an automatic poly reduction application. That way you're not picking out little details to omit to lower the polycount--most polygon reduction tools don't omit details, but rather re-create the mesh at a lower polygon count. This is much more efficient and looks much better. My LOD meshes don't take me any time whatsoever to create, because the tool is automatic.

EDIT: After looking at the model, I also agree with YM that it's really high polycount to begin with. Hopefully not more than 1 of these will be placed in an area at a time, but even if you used the reduction tool to bring it down to about 75% of the original polycount, it would be a tremendous advantage to performance.

Acumen
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
i don't think it's "stupidly high" - higher then the other vehicles for sure, but also more on the detailled side of life.
also i found such automatic tools to not give the cleanest result, so i tried it but wasn't too satisfied.

and and and....and your camper had 13809 polys too !!!!! :D
for me the model wasn't designed to be put in a map 3 times or so. it was just to pay tribute to the awesome concept and build in some more details as i went along. i know it's not too low in the end but still reasonable for the amount of detail you can find, in my opinion. if this was made as a request for someones map specifically i'd leave out quite some detail, that's for sure ! not trying to defend myself, i know the polycount is rather high and could be way lower - that's for sure :)

in other news, i redid the LOD stuff again and stuck quite rigidly to YM's suggestions :D
hope this is better now ! tried it ingame and well, what can i say, i still don't know if it's improved and suits anyone. What i'd like to know:
1) Can people tell hammer to start with LOD 2 right from the start ?
2) Or do you think it would be wise to compile a lod-step and call it tractor_low so people can start with the 7000 polygon version as a starting point ?

UPDATED LOD Levels below

http://forums.tf2maps.net/enlighten/buttons/download.gif (http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3072&act=down)

YM
01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
i'll be sure to check over this again since you did such a long explanation ! that's the kind of feedback one can only get when someone tries the model ingame.
hehe, actually I got it into the model browser and used the "auto LOD" checkbox. as far as I'm aware it accurately represents the scale a model will appear on your screen at the LOD metric. But from experimenting with my own LOD models and valve's LOD models I've learnt to spot reductions.

Also @rexy I don't trust automatic tools to do a good job, I'll admit in places my method, of merging points and altering the UVmap along with a little coordinate modification, isn't the best and leaves me stuggling to cut polys from certain places. But I recon I could do a good job on this without any automation.

Do your automated tools do things like the planes I suggested for the ladder rungs, bolts and steering wheel? If it won't do stuff like that I'd definitely go for doing it by hand.

ethankarnopp
01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
this is why I refuse to do 3d o.o looks sweet though :P

Rexy
01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
and and and....and your camper had 13809 polys too !!!!! :D

...but I reduced it from 30,000 polygons to begin with. And at the smallest LOD is has 2694 polygons. That's extremely reasonable.

And what's here is worse...the older LODs were better. This version is just no good.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1293763/badlods.jpg

Granted, so much of this detail isn't seen from far away, but if you're paying attention you can see the bad changes.

I still suggest an automatic plugin--the tool I use keeps the UV mesh absolutely intact.

EDIT: BTW, nice lightwarp!

MadMax
01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
damn good work i say, loving the custom content and help you guys/girls provide extremely awesome

YM
01-05-2010, 06:30 PM
aha you ninja'd me :P

ooh dear, maybe I should have said your original poly reductions are great and that you should have stuck to them, the new ones aren't enough. Your final LOD is more poly heavy than the highest of the hydro dumptruck.

I fear to do this but I'm going to suggest you take a third bash at it. You had some good reductions in the original ones that I didn't comment on, and now they're gone D:

Good reductions you should have kept:
floating headlights
removal of the headlight brackets
removal of the slight indent in the headlight
removal of the mann co. logo on the side and the strips under it. both of those should go and have their texture transfered on to whatever is underneath of them. THIS IS IMPORTANT. you can remove a LOT of polys by making sure the surface under them has the same texture, you missed the texture of the hinges on the back too.
reduction in curvature in the profile of the front wheels, these can go to completely flat by the final LOD
removal of the bars holding the box inplace underneath. These are minor and won't be missed at >100 LOD metric, also you didn't make the box an actualy box, it still has redundant polys at the final LOD
removal of the floor plate of the chair. Like I said, this should be removed all together with it's texture applied to the surface below, the same with all bolts, in one LOD if you make a bolt just the top surface, in the next LOD or two it should dissapear entirely
removal of the speedometers, make them a disk like the bolts, then in the next LOD just remove them entirely and use the texture method, doesn't matter how low res the texture below is, you're over X meters from the thing, you can't see that much detail.
You had reduction in the number of segments that made up both wheels, at the furthest LOD you might want to consider this again.
Rear tires - the central set of polys (forming a cylinder) were stretched out to meet the next set (like the attached image) Try to keep the shape of the tire, whilst cutting as many polys from it as you can.

Lastly, in LOD 3 you have an issue with one of the rear tires, the centre hub dissapears, leaving the model lop sided and exposing that nasty black circle :(

(did you get the message about being able to remove mesh as long as the surface under neath it has the same texture as what's above it yet? since you didn't do any of that yet :P)

EDIT: lastly I'm not sure I was right about leaving the grip as floating strips, but their shape can definitely be simplified before their complete removal.
Also, I tear you down, because this model is so bloody brilliant I don't want to see it gimped by the LOD models :P You'll get the hang of them don't worry.

EDIT 2: I agree with Rexy, if you're to give up with the LOD models, at very least let us at the previous version which has the better LOD models of the two attempts.

Dr. ROCKZO
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Acumen, you've done some mighty amazing work here, and I know you've probably learned a lot from all of this which is great for us, because it means you'll continue to make more amazing models! :D

Rexy
01-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah, try again, use the best of both attempts and I'm sure you'll have a good result this time.

The transitional nature of the second attempt was better, but had lots of flaws the original did not.

Besides all this, this is a very impressive model, props to ethankarnopp and Acumen.

Acumen
01-06-2010, 04:27 AM
WORSE ??? man you guys suck :D
you could have said "oh boy acumen these lod's look lovely compared to the others, still the polycount is faaaar too high, man you suck"

concerning the texture moving to the mesh below - how do you think i shall pull that off when much of the mentioned details have unique uv space that i just can't apply to a single plane ? I can either use the texture of the deleted floor plate on the entire cabin floor, or leave the cabin floor as it is with a dark spot on it - which i prefer since i guess that will be the less noticable.

so my plan now would be, get that missing hubcap going on again and then continue working on the LOD with the second try and delete the details from there on. good plan ?
i think what should be clear is that i can't get low to the 3000 mark

UPDATE
www.acumen-design.de/temp/modelfiles_tractor.rar
So the LOD3 is 5962 and LOD4 is 3794. so that's quite a reduction, imo. i just uploaded the model files, this time :)
Better ? Done ? Cookies ?....or....do it again ?

Rexy
01-06-2010, 06:35 AM
That's pretty good. I checked it out myself and I have to say that's pretty solid. Props.

Now everyone can start downloading like crazy.

YM
01-06-2010, 06:38 AM
I know that the underneath part have their own UV space, there are several tricks you can try, simply cut+paste+resize the texture from it's original place into the gap, totally remake the texture in the gap or even taking a screenshot from the model viewer of the area (can be useful to make not-flat shapes flat so that they can go in the UV space of the other surface. let me download the new one and see what it's like.

EDIT: yup these ones are definitely best. It would be nice to see the poly count go down a little bit steeper, but what you've got is absolutely fine.

This model now gets my seal of approval in all aspects. Cookies, definitely cookies!

Great work!! :D

Acumen
01-06-2010, 06:46 AM
yay, then i reupload the entire model to the database, call this one done and eat my brownies :)
And once again, thanks a ton to all of the feedback especially lately for all the LOD-Help. I wouldn't even know about these issues hadn't you brought it up, YM and also Rexy. That really helped a ton - also something to heavily keep in mind for future model projects :)
What an awesome learning experience from start to finish that has been - although a bit bumpy ride :D
Again, thank you guys !

FINAL RELEASE

http://tf2maps.net/misc/download.png (http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3072&act=down)

Question:
would it maybe possible for a moderator or admin to add this download link to the opening post, since i'm not the thread creator i can't edit the first post, of course :)

ANOTHER THANK YOU
haha, A Boojum Snark is just over the top !!

A Boojum Snark
01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Question:
would it maybe possible for a moderator or admin to add this download link to the opening post, since i'm not the thread creator i can't edit the first post, of course :)

Done. The original author had attempted to change the thread title awhile ago to mention your model in process, so I took that to mean he would be ok with me editing the post.

zpqrei
01-06-2010, 10:45 AM
That's pretty good. I checked it out myself and I have to say that's pretty solid. Props.

Now everyone can start downloading like crazy.

THE PUN IT BURNS.

In other news, <3

The Political Gamer
01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
THE PUN IT BURNS.

In other news, <3
Its very punny.

Also love the finished model!

Boylee
01-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Lush. Really nice job Acumen, and sick design ethankarnopp.

A top prop.

ethankarnopp
01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
This is the first time I've ever had a drawing of mine go from concept to fully functional model and props to Acumen for doing a kickass job while doing so. It's cool to see the process and humbling to realize how much more work goes in, I hope to see this model in some maps in the future and am way too stoked about how the results look. Thanks to everyone for the compliments and high fives to Acumen for being a rad individual! I hope to collaborate some more in the future :) .

Mr. P. Kiwi
01-07-2010, 01:56 PM
This looks amazing!
Keep up the good work and model some more things!

FlavorRage
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Acumen, that's KILLER. You should totally do:

A) A Crop Duster/Stunt Bi-Plane
B) A Semi Truck Cab/Flatbed
C) A Speedboat

...in exactly the same style. Vehicles may be your niche, man! I mean... Holy Hell, that's beautiful :drool:

ethankarnopp
01-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Acumen do you plan to submit your model to the new thinger?

Nutomic
01-14-2010, 11:15 AM
How should he? Its only for weapons and hats.

(Maybe they will change that at some point, who knows)

Acumen
01-14-2010, 11:55 AM
just read about the contribute thing couple of minutes ago. then i saw the concept image of the truck and was confused. then i saw the legal - blablabla - then i thought, it's just a tractor in the end ^^

maybe i shall just submit/write email with a funny liner. if anyone has one to share, feel free to do so :D

ethankarnopp
01-14-2010, 12:58 PM
I think I'm going off into a bit of a tangent but this kinda bums me out that they are doing this, which may be controversial to say on a mod site. I understand that it's a great opportunity for community content to be spread, but at the same time it's a weird sort of undercutting that I hope doesn't affect the art team at Valve. Just my two cents.

Rexy
01-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I think I'm going off into a bit of a tangent but this kinda bums me out that they are doing this, which may be controversial to say on a mod site. I understand that it's a great opportunity for community content to be spread, but at the same time it's a weird sort of undercutting that I hope doesn't affect the art team at Valve. Just my two cents.

I agree with you on this. And at the same time I trust that only the best community content will make the cut. We'll have to see.

FlavorRage
01-15-2010, 08:34 PM
I agree with you on this. And at the same time I trust that only the best community content will make the cut. We'll have to see.

Judging by the fact that "My First Garry's Mod Pose" won third place in the propaganda contest, I'm a bit worried too.

Rexy
01-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Judging by the fact that "My First Garry's Mod Pose" won third place in the propaganda contest, I'm a bit worried too.

Regardless it was a good entry, and they were clear why they chose it.

jakemaheu
01-16-2010, 06:21 PM
If you were watching Youme's Livestream today, you'll see he put a couple in the map he was working on.

YM
01-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Yep I claim first usage! :p

Really is a beautiful thing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2126504/iron_007.jpg
There's one just around the left corner too.

ethankarnopp
01-17-2010, 06:48 PM
SOOOO COOL Youme, get Valve to put your map in the next update so I can feel special :P