PDA

View Full Version : [Conceptart] Engineer Electrogun

ethankarnopp
12-20-2009, 02:44 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/ekarnopp/engiegun2.jpg

Working out some ideas for a new engineer rifle, here is the start, I'm pretty happy with the idea but not sure if this is the final iteration. The idea is to have a rifle that shoots electrically charged 'pigeons' which are then shot afterwards with an arc of electricity coming from the gun. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'll hopefully have another update on this in the coming days.

ANova
12-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Looks like its from Borderlands

Rexy
12-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Would you be opposed to someone creating this as a 3-D object?

Trotim
12-20-2009, 02:57 PM
So it shoots projectiles that hurt all enemies that are near the projectile? That's pretty cool, but doesn't sound like something Valve would do. Nice model though!

ethankarnopp
12-20-2009, 03:10 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with it, right now the ideas are kind of rough but if you or anyone else wants to take a shot go right ahead, I was going to do a SKP model of it (maybe after some modifications) but if you would like to model it in max go right ahead, I'd be honored.

Sel
12-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Looks like its from Borderlands

^

Gonna guess that that's why he posted it.

Rexy
12-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it, right now the ideas are kind of rough but if you or anyone else wants to take a shot go right ahead, I was going to do a SKP model of it (maybe after some modifications) but if you would like to model it in max go right ahead, I'd be honored.

I think I might, just because I've always wanted to turn concept art into the actual deal. It would be a fun project!

ethankarnopp
12-20-2009, 03:17 PM
So it shoots projectiles that hurt all enemies that are near the projectile? That's pretty cool, but doesn't sound like something Valve would do. Nice model though!
Yea, the basic premise is you shoot a disc out of the bottom part of it (similar to a clay pigeon) then when it is over whoever you shoot it with the electric beam, it explodes and I'm not really sure the effect. It would have an AOE but I haven't decided whether to have it have something like a slowing effect or damage.

I think I might, just because I've always wanted to turn concept art into the actual deal. It would be a fun project!

Go for it, I can do some orthos or detail specific areas if you need it, this was just to get a rough idea of what I want it to look like.

Jonah
12-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Looks awesome
I'd like to draw stuff like that too but I'm so lazy :/

Dr. ROCKZO
12-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Very Professional.

Would the Arc deal damage? Because I could imagine setting "tripwires" up with this by shooting across a busy path..

Rexy
12-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Go for it, I can do some orthos or detail specific areas if you need it, this was just to get a rough idea of what I want it to look like.

Please do! All I'd need is really is side, and top maybe, the illustration is so well done--it leaves no question as to detail. Fantastic work.

FreeLance_FoX
12-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I checked your blog out, Ethan, and I was very impressed by this one you put up:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9jWLsUmZM0w/SyHfMSQP98I/AAAAAAAAAM8/4lLIbOpha-8/s400/tractorpaintover.jpg

You should have that modeled as well :D

Boylee
12-21-2009, 01:00 AM
I checked your blog out, Ethan, and I was very impressed by this one you put up:

{image}

You should have that modeled as well :D

lol, see here: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=10971

cyked
12-21-2009, 05:10 AM
This is great stuff!

Probably not something valve would actually do, but great none the less.

ethankarnopp
12-21-2009, 05:19 AM
To those who responded 'Valve wouldn't do this' could you elaborate on why or what you think they would do instead (related or unrelated to this design). I'm just curious to get some input, maybe I'm missing out on something but I've noticed a pattern with these updates in that they are generally trying to break class constraints with updates. IE the sniper update allows the sniper to get in to mid/close range as opposed to the original weapon set which was designed for long range only.

Micnax
12-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Looks retro-punk'y

I like :D

Zwiffle
12-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Keep em coming, your stuff is cool.

ethankarnopp
12-22-2009, 01:12 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/ekarnopp/electricortho.jpg

Some quick orthographics I threw up for rexy, if you need more than this just let me know.

drp
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/ekarnopp/electricortho.jpg

Some quick orthographics I threw up for rexy, if you need more than this just let me know.
iirc, ortho drawings are at 45 degree angles

looks amazing tho

Rexy
12-23-2009, 01:48 AM
I'll make this the official WIP thread for this model, and I'll add screenshots as I get them.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1293763/electroskeet_01.jpg

ethankarnopp
12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Awesome man can't wait to see more!

ethankarnopp
01-07-2010, 09:38 AM
So I've been working on some more Engineer-centric upgrades but don't want to flood the forums with all of my junk so I'm just going to start putting them here.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/ekarnopp/moonshine-1.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/ekarnopp/moonshineriterations.jpg

The idea behind this concept was originally to be a replacement for a dispenser replacement, that would hover over you and buff the engie for a certain amount of time. But upon showing some friends I soon realized that it looks WAYYY more like a flying sentry and have kind of been going with that idea. It is called the 'moonshiner' because the idea of it is that it is a flask (of presumably moonshine) that transforms into the deadly flying sentry seen above. Any input as far as the ideation or design of this contraption would be greatly appreciated and I hope you guys enjoy. I'll keep ya'll posted with future design choices on this.

BTW if a mod could modify the title of this post to something more appropriate that would be greatly appreciated! I'm pretty new to the forums but if I could make a quick suggestion it would be REALLLY useful with all of the updated iterations of things to be able to have a 'last update on MM/DD/YY' or something (just an idea) :P.

Acumen
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
loving it. man i gotta tell you, you got the style really nailed on this one. the gun is a bit vague, still but this item, especially its illustration is horribly awesome :D
i could model your concepts all night long *singssong*

Nutomic
01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Dont know, it looks a bit to modern for the 1960s.

Besides that, looking really cool :thumbup1:

Malcolm
01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Reminds me a bit of the turrets in BioShock...

But nice work anyway ;)

YM
01-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Reminds me a bit of the turrets in BioShock...

Yeah I agree here, I'm not sure something that flies is really right for TF2, set in the 60s, using tech from more like the 40s.
The ammount of computing power required to have something like that keep level and track someone would be massive in those days, to see it so small is kinda odd.

It just leaves me with a remarkably :mellow: feeling, just like the previous weapon it just doesn't fit with anything else in the tf2 universe:(

Acumen
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM
wasn't there a hitchcock movie with such a little flying helicopter following around someone or something like that ?
anyways, such little helicopters were available in the 70's for everyone, so going for a jamesbond superhitech flick that always featured tech from the "near future" it may be quite appropriate.
when i compare that tech level to the sentry animations i don't think it's too high fetched.

but...taste differs :)

Zwiffle
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey cool shit man. I like the dispenser replacement idea better I think, because I like the idea of a flying R2D2ish dispenser following the Engineer around beeping and giving out health/ammo. Plus I think its better for gameplay purposes - the nest becomes a little easier to destroy but the Engineer now gets to play a different support role and maybe get in on the front lines a little more. There's all kinds of cool ways a flying dispenser could affect a battle over a traditional dispenser.

Acumen
01-25-2010, 09:36 AM
so, ive been kinda working on that weapon concept of yours lately and i reaaaaaally really hope, Rexy is not upset that i tried the same model, but i didn't know whether he would be continuing with his version. so plz, don't be angry at me, for doing so :/

i thought, maybe we could submit this to the contribution page, if you don't have any problem with it, ethan ?

http://www.acumen-design.de/projects/show/electrogun_overview.jpg

Spammish
01-25-2010, 11:06 AM
That came out beautiful, kudos to you, are you sure you can do joint contributions? I wouldn't be surprised if they held onto it to use a model for the engie's real unlock, that's the quality that I think this is, valve quality (and not the lazy valve:P)

YM
01-25-2010, 11:51 AM
That's pretty impressive stuff acumen :)

Despite my dislike for the weapon in general, you two certainly make quite a creative team!

Westerhound
01-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Is the electric sappy thingy inside the glass moving?

Sel
01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Right now the front doesn't really give any indication it's gonna fire a beam, maybe paint something in the texture, or model something there to better convey the idea behind it, right now it looks like it's meant to pick up radio signals or something, rather than fire electricity.

Westerhound
01-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Right now the front doesn't really give any indication it's gonna fire a beam, maybe paint something in the texture, or model something there to better convey the idea behind it, right now it looks like it's meant to pick up radio signals or something, rather than fire electricity.

Isnt it just better so that the enemy doesnt know he is gonna die instead of being radio signalized? :P

Acumen
01-25-2010, 02:22 PM
oops, now you say that, i see that little blob in the front dish.
thanks for pointing that out, selentic !

the beams are not animated right now, i tell valve to do so, if we submit :D
its just a alphatexture mockup :)

YM
01-25-2010, 02:24 PM
What you really want is to put a bone at either end of the glass bit and to get a particle effect going between the two ;)

Acumen
01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
well i really WANT that, but i have no clue how that stuff works, neither where to find some resources on it :/

gamemaster1996
01-25-2010, 03:29 PM
If you get what i mean i feel like bam at the end of thug2 just looking at it.

Exist
01-25-2010, 05:29 PM
If you get what i mean i feel like bam at the end of thug2 just looking at it.

I get the referance, and the face is just correct.

I personally think it should lay trip mires like someone suggested...

Lancey
01-25-2010, 06:38 PM
well i really WANT that, but i have no clue how that stuff works, neither where to find some resources on it :/

I'm not a modeller, or a particler, but this (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particles_on_models) may be of use.

absurdistof
01-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Wow that's a really accurate re-creation. Props :D

FlavorRage
02-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Acumen.

You're amazing. You model with particular acumen.

Rexy
02-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Looks really good--I think I have to disagree with some of the color choices on the final product, they just don't seem to be the best, almost dull. And the surface properties, I'm not sure about either. But overall, the model looks very fitting! Nice work.

Bermuda Cake
02-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Do want shotgun replacement... even if it would make no sense

Legosheep
02-17-2010, 07:08 AM
If you want it to seem more TF2 then change the yellow to team colours.