PDA

View Full Version : How can I open models in Blender?

mmik
01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I have TF2 models decompiled already, but blender won't open .mdl files. I have the script to export models, already, but haven't found anything about importing.

I want to take the train model and try to construct gibs from it. train + explosion = awesome. total modeling nub here, btw. 0 experience other than some Blender interface videos.

edit: oops, I didn't see I wandered off into the downloads forum, just that it was a model-specific forum. Sorry. :x

Spike
01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
you have to open de .smd files

mmik
01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
GCFScape didn't put them into .smd files. Is there a way to compile them or something? Right now they seem to be split into a couple of different files. (I don't really know how this works, so I could be wrong)

Spike
01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
you have to take MDLdecompiler and deompile them, you will get some .smd files, then you have to export them to blender

FaTony
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
.gcf -> .mdl -> .smd. -> .whateverblenderuses

I heard that mdldecompiler still doesn't fully works with tf2 models, but some1 could fix that (Yep, the year has passed since tf2 release).

mmik
01-07-2009, 01:51 AM
mdldecompiler won't work. It just brings up a window with "mdldecompiler has stopped working" and closes.

Zeewier
01-07-2009, 03:11 AM
Do a little forum/google search ;) you must open the file with a text editor and edit the 5th character into a , or something ;)

mmik
01-07-2009, 03:26 AM
what? That's strange. I did search a bit, but "mdldecompiler has stopped working" didn't bring up anything nearly related. >_> I'll look around more and see what it is.

mmik
01-12-2009, 02:43 AM
Sorry, I'm not really finding anything of any use. The closest thing I came to was some guide that talked about opening models with notepad, which obviously doesn't really help me.

mmik
01-12-2009, 03:29 AM
The best I can come up with is it might not be possible to get blender to even work on my Vista 64 bit... what? D:

I am currently trying to get it to detect python, and following this http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11938 was of no use, and the comments in there are a bit troublesome.

Are there any other programs that I could try using?

edit: ok, I found the recourse link in youme's sig, I'm gonna try milkshape and see how that turns out. Says it was originally made for HL1, so I'm assuming it comes pre-packaged with everything needed to export to HL2. (still no luck with the decompiler, but that's a whole different issue)