View Full Version : Model Lettered CP Holograms

Artesia
05-11-2009, 03:14 AM
Lettered CP Hologram models

created by Sean Pennock

Installation:
Extract tf folder to 'Team Fortress 2' steam subdirectory

Usage:
create a normal Command Point using the team_control_point entity. Change the RED Model, BLUE Model, and Reset Model values, add _(pointletter) to the end of the model name. Example: to get the letter D model change cappoint_hologram.mdl to cappoint_hologram_d.mdl

After the models are set correctly in the team_control_point, it should work correctly in game. There is no need to trigger the model to change that is taken care of identically to how the default control points function.

NOTE: Custom CP models do not appear in Hammer, they only appear IN GAME. Just the same as when you change a command points owner in hammer it doesn't show that teams icon, it stays at the standard neutral, custom models on the CP aren't shown until it is rendered in game.

These models are slightly higher than the standard icons, this was done to accomidate a larger hologram for legibility.

Feel free to use these in your maps, I would ask that no one attempt to take credit for my work. I would appreciate being given credit for this.

I may release more custom CP holograms in the future, once you figure them out they're not that hard to make.

eerieone
05-11-2009, 04:01 AM
dude, that definately rocks

wow :)

Mar
05-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Give me an "S"!
Give me an "E"!
Give me an "X"!
Give me an "Y"!

What's that spell!

!SEXY!

:cool1:That's cool, your cool! :thumbup1:

Dustoxx
05-11-2009, 07:38 AM
thanks dude! :D

A Boojum Snark
05-11-2009, 09:41 AM
NOTE: Custom CP models do not appear in Hammer, they only appear IN GAME. Just the same as when you change a command points owner in hammer it doesn't show that teams icon, it stays at the standard neutral, custom models on the CP aren't shown until it is rendered in game.
Hmm.... *jots down notes for next version of FGD*

But uhh... this should be in the models board *modpowersactivate*

YM
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
How large is each texture? ie: will using these signifficantly impact on the map's filesize.

Icarus
05-11-2009, 10:27 AM
well, seeing as the entire package is only 400KB, it's safe to say that none of this will have any significant impact on filesize.

EDIT: I just checked, the largest file is 214KB.

This is totally kickass, I will totally be using this in Grinder

Rexy
05-11-2009, 10:50 AM
These are a very nice and practical and most useful. Great work.

HojoTheGreat
05-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Unnnnreal! I fully intend to try these out in Matterhorn. From the screenshots they look like that might be a liiiittle big. Regardless though, very cool and totally practical.

Micnax
05-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Damn, These look awesome!

eerieone
05-11-2009, 11:55 AM
i might use them for cashworks :D
the filesize is awesomely small

MangyCarface
05-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Excellent work!

DJive
05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Looks great!

Make a post so we can "thank" you!

Zanpa
05-11-2009, 01:19 PM
i might use them for cashworks :D
the filesize is awesomely small
I don't think it would look good in a Payload map :huh:
Imo it's more suited for CP.

And that's a great job ! :thumbup1:

Artesia
05-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys. I might come out with other versions later... like 3d letters etc... Eerieone, I noticed you had logo textures for cashworks and was trying to catch you online, it would be very easy to make one with your custom logo... in fact... I need to round together a template package and tutorial for making a custom CP... I likely wouldn't include my 3ds max file since not everyone uses it, or version 2009 but I could include smd's which can be edited in notepad to apply your own custom materials to a cp icon.

The reason I made these so big, is so they can be read from a distance, my purpose behind these are to reduce the need for signs in the CP area just so people know what CP they're at (only relevant for certain gametypes), and the CP itself is a good place to put such info. for a custom hologram template I would release it with the default model size

Icarus
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
if you would, default sized holos would be very much appreciated.

I'm not concerned about readability at a distance, because most of the time CPs aren't seen from such distances.

Artesia
05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
are you wanting a template or default sized lettered holograms?

Icarus
05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Default sized would be perfect. If anyone really wanted to, they could always just skin the textures themselves.

HojoTheGreat
05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Agreed, default size would be best. The letters are large enough that people can see them from any reasonable distance, plus Icarus put it best; CPs are generally in places more enclosed, with few long sightlines.

Artesia
05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
yeah the large icons were made for my map really, I might make them smaller later... atm I'm working on the template/tutorial on how to easily reskin the default hologram

Artesia
05-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I just finished the templates

they can be found Here (http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=6617)

I assembled everything so that no 3d work is needed, just notepad, find/replace, the model compiling thing and an image editor...

Also while making the tutorial, to make sure it worked I followed the workflow I described (rather than doing everything in 3ds max) and made the hologram for cashworks for eerieone as well as anyone else who wants to use it, just credit me and the maker of the logo (forget the name its on the link)

Cashworks Model (http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=66083#post66083)

anyways let me know what you think ;)

Icarus
05-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I didn't need something as complicated as the template. All I needed was a model that I could retexture, so I just went ahead and downloaded the cashworks model and modified it to suit my needs. Thanks.

Artesia
05-11-2009, 07:13 PM
but its named with the cappoint_hologram_cashworks still? its best not to reskin unless you can rename things so it doesn't conflict with other things. doing it that way you wouldn't be able to see the cashworks logo if it were used in a map if I'm not mistaken... why not just recompile? it only takes a few minutes...

Fireman
05-11-2009, 07:14 PM
I love you for doing this, thanks, thanks, and thanks again!

uma plata
05-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Artesia, this is badass, good work

Icarus
05-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Strangely enough, only BLU's holo is blurry like that, but not in the official BLU logo.
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7421/blurrogram.jpg

Same goes with your other skins
http://forums.tf2maps.net/geek/gars/images/2/6/7/5/cashworks.jpg

Artesia
05-15-2009, 11:58 AM
hm, might be a problem with the UVs

logo's are actually 2 models on top of each other, one for the base color the other for the hologram effect, it appears one might be shifted very slightly to one side...

I'll take a look at it when I have time, I'm behind in some college classes and need to catch up ;)

Shadow Monkey
05-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Awesome, dude! Thanks!

eerieone
05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
complete overlooked you asking me in this thread, sry for that

just want to give you a GIANT THANKS for the custom holograms
they look awesome and now everything in cashworks is consequent :D

blu hologram seems a little blurry, but thatīs just a minor problem and you donīt notice it if you donīt look too close

:D