TF2Maps.net

TF2Maps.net (http://forums.tf2maps.net/index.php)
-   Map Workshop (http://forums.tf2maps.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Zero G (http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=14810)

absurdistof 08-21-2010 06:29 PM

Zero G

Greetings from koth_zero_g!

Zero_g is just a little sidemap I have been working on while thunderclap hasn't been in testing, it's simply a koth map set in space. In future versions I'd like to work out a low gravity setting for the outdoors, but right now the trigger_push I was using to accomplish this made the map rather buggy. If I get a working low gravity environment in later versions it will be added to the map rest assured.

There are a few things about the map that I don't expect to last very long. These are
- The open spaces between the spawn and the hill
- Possibly the location of the hill relative to the spawns [CHANGED]
- Cap times, spawn times etc
- The skybox. I'm going to start work on a custom space-themed one very soon. EDIT: tried and failed that, may try again sometime :)

If you have any comments about the map please don't hesitate to post them here. I don't care how major the changes you suggest or problems you point out, if they are not fixed they will remain in the map. I only say this because I've had a few cases where I change something I should have changed before, and then people tell me "yeah I didn't like that point anyways". So please, if you have anything to say about it, I don't care how rude or mean it is, let it be said.

Also, don't hesitate to critique my [dev] detailing. This is probably what the brushwork will look like in beta, so don't hesitate to stop me from making anything bad now :)

Finally, thank you to
- Boojum, for helping me resolve areaportal problems, and for the resource pack.
- WastedMeerkat for pointing out the existance of func_gravity from which I found trigger_gravity.
- Void for his cleaning nozzles models
- Anyone who tests this!

absurdistof 08-21-2010 06:34 PM

Breaking news, trigger_gravity discovered, recompiling for a1b :O.

Fredrik 08-21-2010 06:36 PM

It looks good.
Good that you're going to fix those open spaces.
I'm quite worried about the gravity though, don't make it to low.
And ofc, space theme's awesome.
Realy looking forward to test this map!

Penguin 08-21-2010 06:52 PM

By the Gods, you actually created a map called ZeroG and didn't know of the trigger_gravity?

Son, I've never been more dissapoint than I am now.

absurdistof 08-21-2010 07:02 PM

Wellllll I was planning to use a trigger_push buuuut :(

(I am ashamed D:)

EDIT: Don't worry, I'm only planning to have the gravity at about .75-.65 of what it is usually. The goal is just a tiny bit longer of a jump so the player can feel it just a tiny bit, but not for it to affect gameplay.

FiLi 08-21-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absurdistof (Post 189667)
Wellllll I was planning to use a trigger_push buuuut :(

(I am ashamed D:)

EDIT: Don't worry, I'm only planning to have the gravity at about .75-.65 of what it is usually. The goal is just a tiny bit longer of a jump so the player can feel it just a tiny bit, but not for it to affect gameplay.

I've only heard of one other map with low grav. Moonbase. I hated it. Make this better. Maybe, based on the scale of the gravity, make the map some size bigger to make up for the height difference in the jump.

Zarokima 08-21-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiLiPiNo_KiD (Post 189672)
I've only heard of one other map with low grav. Moonbase. I hated it. Make this better. Maybe, based on the scale of the gravity, make the map some size bigger to make up for the height difference in the jump.

That's the CTF map with the low-grav area in the middle, right? The problem with that was that it's just a bunch of walkways with low gravity. The low gravity is the only interesting thing about that area (and really, the whole map).

As long as the low gravity isn't used as a gimmick, but rather enhances play in some way, it could be pretty cool. Can't really say without running through it, though.

absurdistof 08-21-2010 09:01 PM

Well unfortunately it probably will be more gimmicky then it would a game mechanic. The most I can think to use it for is maybe to allow for some jumps that wouldn't be possible, but I wouldn't want to use anything significant because it makes short range and projectile classes much more difficult to use.

Godslayer57 08-21-2010 09:34 PM

I think that if someone dies in low gravity area they stay in a low gravity whn the respawn. You would have to have the whole rest of the map in the defult gravity setting of 1 and have the points which they have to go though so they can be reduced to normal,

absurdistof 08-22-2010 01:11 AM

Updated to koth_zero_g_a1b!

Changelog
+Added trigger_gravity (with the gravity setting at .68)
+Removed a major sightline

DOWNLOAD LINK HERE

Quote:

I think that if someone dies in low gravity area they stay in a low gravity whn the respawn. You would have to have the whole rest of the map in the defult gravity setting of 1 and have the points which they have to go though so they can be reduced to normal.
Hrm. That makes a lot of sense because whenever you die you respawn with .68 gravity. Thankfully the majority of the map isn't inside, and it's not that significant of an impact. Will change though, thank you for that :)