TF2Maps.net

TF2Maps.net (http://forums.tf2maps.net/index.php)
-   Mapping Questions & Discussion (http://forums.tf2maps.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Major Leak Problem (http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8704)

Kazagin 08-11-2009 06:07 PM

Major Leak Problem

So I tried compiling my map about half an hour ago, and it didn't work.
I put my Compile Log on Interlopers, and it told me two things.
1.) I had a leak
2.) I had a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges
3.) I had vvis running in "fast" mode.

This isn't my final compile, mind you, so the vvis fast isn't a problem.
It said I could ignore the displacement thing because all it did was mess with the lighting, also saying that it can be ignored.
Which brings me to the leak...

When I was first told that my map had a leak, I immediately deleted my Skybox, and made a new, bigger one. I thought that doing so would fix the leak... I was mistaken.
Not much else can be said, I have a leak in a brand new Skybox. Nothing is outside of it, and it's new, so nothing could have punctured it.
I tried the "Load Pointfile" thing, but I can't find the Pointfile.

Interlopers says that this is due to me nothing having entities, yet I have eighteen (18) properly functioning Spawn Points.

Anyway, why don't I have a Pointfile? Is there a special kind of entity I need?

DJive 08-11-2009 06:11 PM

Leak can be because you have func_detail into space or your skybox brush is not touching all the brushes to create a nice seal.

I'm not doing anything so if you want, send it my say and ill see what the leak could be.

alecom 08-11-2009 06:13 PM

Did you make a big skybox brush then hollow it out? (not a good idea)

Kazagin 08-11-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alecom (Post 92993)
Did you make a big skybox brush then hollow it out? (not a good idea)

That's is exactly what I did.
I thought that it was the correct way to make a Skybox. :unsure:
And Djive, I really appreciate the offer, but I don't know how to send maps to other people. How do I send a map to other people?
Also, if you don't mind, can you take a look over it and give me some advice on improving it?

Terr 08-11-2009 06:38 PM

The best way to go about it is to think of the skybox texture as "super holographic ceiling and wall paint" and that everything is a series of rooms and tunnels underground.

...Comprising the set of "The Truman Show 2".

Kazagin 08-11-2009 07:18 PM

Upon further investigation (retracing my steps though what I did since my last successful compile), I fixed the leak!
I was using a Nodraw box to act as a boundary between the playable area and little bits of playable, but unreachable areas.
I got rid of it and made the Skybox Brush hug the water brush (the biggest brush in the map) and now the leak is gone. :)

Unfortunately, I still can't compile.
I got an Error Message stating
"The command failed. Windows reported the error:
'The system cannot find the file specified.'"

That is what was happening when I first found out about the leak, and I thought that the leak was the problem.

DJive 08-11-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazagin (Post 93016)

Unfortunately, I still can't compile.
I got an Error Message stating
"The command failed. Windows reported the error:
'The system cannot find the file specified.'"

Make sure you don't have a space in the file name.

Kazagin 08-11-2009 07:27 PM

I changed the map name to "Pancakes" (as a homage to Scout), and it still gives me the error.
I'm going to take a break for about half an hour, so I won't be responding until 9 PM EST.
EDIT: OK, I'm back.

alecom 08-11-2009 09:08 PM

It will give the "can't find file" when it can't complete the first stage of the compile (bsp), meaning the file is not created. This is needed for the other two stages (vis and rad), so it gives you the error.

Also, if you made the skyboxes properly now (not just a hollowed out brush, now separate connecting wall skyboxes with a ceiling skybox) you will be able to get a pointfile - if there is a leak.

Kazagin 08-11-2009 09:17 PM

The leak has been fixed, so I'm fine with that.
Why is it unable to complete the first stage of the compile?