Wadi

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
Wadi

Introducing Wadi, my new King of the Hill map. Featuring 3 distinct levels for gameplay, Wadi has fast-paced action in a relatively small area, with lots of cover from snipers. On another note, I find it's difficult for one engineer to hold the map, since there are several routes everywhere, with the possibility to be outranged.

Please play and leave feedback whenever you can.

-nik

Last edited:

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
You should ask Muffin Man if you can use the name. He's not working on the map anymore...

nik

Aug 14, 2009
I actually didn't see anyone using the name, I looked it up on tf2stats and it showed nothing, so I didn't bother looking here. Is it acceptable to use since this is a KOTH map and his is CTF?

I'll ask anyways.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Wow, it's quite the coincidence that this looks so similar to mine.

This is also the second time in a few months that someone has taken one of my names! :O

Anyway, I'm not going to stop you from naming it Wadi.

keithgarry

L2: Junior Member
Apr 16, 2009
Looks solid. I recommend adding more LOS blockers, though. Much of the level is wide open. Also, I'm not sure if you know about this possible exploit:
wadi1.JPG

wadi2.JPG

Maybe a support beam for this bridge?

The waterfalls are a nice touch, and the sniper towers are EXCELLENT! Anyway, good luck in the map testing tomorrow. :) I plan on doing full reviews for everyone.

nik

Aug 14, 2009
The waterfalls are a nice touch, and the sniper towers are EXCELLENT! Anyway, good luck in the map testing tomorrow. :) I plan on doing full reviews for everyone.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I know about that one, I might just make it non-solid.
I couldn't attend the gameday, so I don't know how it went D:

EDIT: can somebody tell me how it went? :D

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
People decided to be whiny bitches today so we didn't play through the entire test. Basically, there are long sightlines across the map and along the sides that made people cry. It's right, though, your map could probably use a lot of scaling down.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
arghhhh I lost what I wanted to say after I clicked on one of the images :(

Basically, I enjoyed the building underneath mid and think you should keep that how it is for now. Up top though is where the scaling issues kicked in and the sightlines weren't very friendly either. I would like to see the map scaled down with that mid interior kept the same.

After that, should be good to go for some proper testing!

edit: Make sure to clip stairs!

Last edited:

brick

L3: Member
Apr 12, 2008
Scale is the biggest issue with this map. Also why when you run outside of spawn you have to run so far right, I just thought that was annoying and added to run time to the point. Once you get the scale down I can tell more about how it went. It was too short of a play test for me to say more.

People decided to be whiny bitches today so we didn't play through the entire test..

When arent they during a playtest.

nik

Aug 14, 2009
Thanks for the feedback all.

I'm thinking of adding an exit from spawn in the centre, where the team logos are. As well as some obvious LOS issues and definitely some shrinking of the map, A2 will have lots of minor fixes.

brick

Apr 12, 2008
If you have the team exit straight it will help with travel time, but I think there is a huge sight line on that and that is why you have to go to the right or left. So when your doing that take that into account.

nik

Aug 14, 2009
I'm thinking of doing this:
wadimods.png

sorry if it's hard to read

brick

Apr 12, 2008
If you do that the reroute will need another way to get up other than that sewer i think as It is very tight there and pyros will just camp that. It does look like a good move. You maybe able to move the actual spawn rooms closer the point. to help with the scale down. You have to think of anything to really help with shortening travel times. Also I just thought of this. Make the top of the building more interesting as its just a big flat point. Add props or something.

nik

Aug 14, 2009
If you do that the reroute will need another way to get up other than that sewer i think as It is very tight there and pyros will just camp that. It does look like a good move. You maybe able to move the actual spawn rooms closer the point. to help with the scale down. You have to think of anything to really help with shortening travel times. Also I just thought of this. Make the top of the building more interesting as its just a big flat point. Add props or something.

yeah I was going to add a roof or something, but I can't really think of anything that would belong up there D:

brick

Apr 12, 2008
Yea true it is just a roof, adding a roof on top will not be that good of an idea I think as a solider or demo will be nice to jump up there instead of a roof. (TOO MANY ROOFS)

You have to think of a theme and add stuff on top that will fit that theme. Only thing right now would be just vents or split it up with brushes. Not really sure its hard with out a theme going to just throw random props up there will look bad and not work correctly.

nik

Aug 14, 2009
Yea true it is just a roof, adding a roof on top will not be that good of an idea I think as a solider or demo will be nice to jump up there instead of a roof. (TOO MANY ROOFS)

You have to think of a theme and add stuff on top that will fit that theme. Only thing right now would be just vents or split it up with brushes. Not really sure its hard with out a theme going to just throw random props up there will look bad and not work correctly.

I was thinking more along the lines of a dilapidated shingle roof with holes and parts missing, possible planks dropping down