The blooming effect...

Drexer

L2: Junior Member
Jun 23, 2009
You know, there is still a difference between using pseudo-HDR as it is called and calling it FAKE as you so eloquently put it. The difference in technology of course did not allow them to integrate the full realistic HDR effect due to pre-DX8 processors, but they did use the Z-buffer to composite the images.

The fact is, even though they did not use the proper HDR method, they had HDR-llike graphics which is what we're discussing. Is it possible to create bloom without HDR? No. You can get a graphical effect similar to it, but it will always seem a bit off.

An option you could have though now that I considered some more details, is faking it through very heavy light sources on the 'bloom' area, with perhaps some refractive surface nearby. But like I said, that will always seem a bit off.

But if you prefer to check my sources and then complain about the minutes you've wasted when i only wanted to help, go right ahead.

MoonQuake

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2009
ABS: Yep, that's what I tried and it works.
I just wish I could have that subtle effect without doubling the size of my map... :)

Drexer

Jun 23, 2009
I have to ask though, is it really such a problem the increase in map size? Nowadays most users already expect a map size in the approximate order of the one needed for HDR, so is it much higher detailed or is there any other reason for the huge concern in map size?

MoonQuake

Jul 18, 2009
Drexer: I don't really mind the size personally, it's just some people don't like waiting for downloading (even on fast download servers) and sometimes it's enough to make them disconnect. I just wish I could just bloom it up without the increase in size.

Bad Vlad

May 23, 2010
I might be missing the point here...

If you're trying to add bloom to a picture overlayed on somebody's screen, can't you just take the bloomed up image and make that the texture?

edit: I mean, I don't know what else you could mean by "full screen" and "screenoverlays". Don't impale me.

Last edited:

MoonQuake

Jul 18, 2009
Vlad: I just want to add the rendering effect "bloom" to every player's screen.

Just like you could use screenoverlays or color correction to tint the screen red, except the effect I want is bloom.

Screenoverlays is an entity in the game that allows you to place an image on the screen.
I said full screen just so that people understand it's an effect that should affect everything on screen.

Me no want to impales you. :(

MQ

Last edited:

MoonQuake

Jul 18, 2009
I haven't other than making my own materials, with some spec or normalmap.

D'you know of a way to create a material that could bloom the screen when used as an overlay? Or any other way?

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
Drexer: I don't really mind the size personally, it's just some people don't like waiting for downloading (even on fast download servers) and sometimes it's enough to make them disconnect. I just wish I could just bloom it up without the increase in size.

Players D/C because they really dont care enough to play the custom map. The double file size isnt the deciding factor on if someone plays the map, its how much they care about custom maps.

MoonQuake

Jul 18, 2009
That also, adds up to the chances of disconnecting, unfortunately. I agree.

Last edited:

Bad Vlad

May 23, 2010
tepes.jpg

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
If you're concerned about file size... Well, what are your current VRAD settings? I was able to shrink ctf_2fort_revamp by about a third by disabling per-vertex model shading on everything that didn't absolutely need it. (In other words, every model that didn't have some sharp shadow edge across it.)

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
If you're concerned about file size... Well, what are your current VRAD settings? I was able to shrink ctf_2fort_revamp by about a third by disabling per-vertex model shading on everything that didn't absolutely need it. (In other words, every model that didn't have some sharp shadow edge across it.)

file size optimization is far too often overlooked since most mappers don't bother doing it until rc.
hdr with a good lightmap optimisation doesn't get a lot heavier than ldr without lightmap optimization.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
That would be a useful tip to put into the tutorial section, if it isn't already in there.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
I really, really, REALLY hate bloom and think it should be abolished from the gaming world.

[rage]

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
I really, really, REALLY hate bloom and think it should be abolished from the gaming world.

[rage]

HDR is like the auto-level setting in photoshop in that it exaggerates differences, so that the lighting range can be perceived more accurately than a monitor can display.
Bloom is when people can't be bothered to use HDR, so they try to make it look like they have HDR.