CP Frozen

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
cp_frozen (3 Stage CP A/D Map)
Author: Joe 'Fr0z3n' Radak

Email: nightsfrost@gmail.com

This is my entry for TF2Maps.net's 72hr Mapping contest. It was largest entry into the competition. It was ranked first seed after preliminary voting. (/me rubs his tiny ego). It was voted the #1 map of the competition.

Red has taken over a snowy alpine, cliffside town and converted it into a complex of frozen (and green) evilness. Using the power from five turbines to run their defenses, red is in possession of a machine which, for lack of a better word (and lack of creativity) isn't very nice. Blu must fight through the alpine/cliffside village and capture this not-so-nice machine (3000! (c) ) and stop whatever thing red was planning on doing.

Okay, that was an absolutely HORRIBLE story for the map, so it'll change. But won't change is the premise. Blu must go through 3 stages. Each stage there are 2 control points. capture the control point and shut down a turbine.

Please leave feedback. You'll get a cookie.

Special thanks to (and if I forgot someone, please tell me)
ABS for the Gametype library
Seba for the wind turbines
Ravidge for the shovels
dabp for the snowy tire tracks
Everyone who has given feedback... Good, bad or angry.

As always, I have this on ALL my maps: If any of my maps go official , I will donate half of my stamp money to the Childs Play Charity. Its a great charity doing a lot with the gamers everywhere.

No Editing of this map without permission to the author, please. Either post here or email me at the above email.

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
I had fun, Frozen. First stages last CP was pretty intense though to be honest.
Or was it second stage, I can't remember to be honest.

Anyway I practically held down half the team with that one sentry spot till they sent 4-5 demomen after me. Besides that though, great layout for only 2 days working on it.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I like how the map's name is frozen, your name is frozen, and the map froze my comp

Nah jk, it didn't do that.

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
It's pretty interesting how good these maps are, tight deadline and pressure seems to generally benefit people (who didn't give up right away)

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright, well, I got a enough feedback to know how to fix up the map for entry in 12 hours... (Just raising cap times a tiny bit probably on stage 2-1 and 1-1)

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I will definitely keep up with this map (fingers crossed) after the contest, since there seems to be some interest in it.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I really liked this, shame I had to leave after just one round. I like that cp_frozen actually works as a name here too.

I had fun, Frozen. First stages last CP was pretty intense though to be honest.
Or was it second stage, I can't remember to be honest.

this is good plain honest feedback

Vincent

aa
Sep 5, 2009

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Well, I just posted the contest version here. Lots of Good mappers entering, lots of maps entering and this is my first contest... so wish me luck :D

I did a lot of gameplay adjustments last night, added a flanking route in S1-2, adjusted respawn times. Hopefully they all work well, they did last night. Although 2-2 is a little tough still. I will fix that after the contest.

Now I wait :/

EDIT: Also updated screenshots with the HDR compile from the contest.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Added DL link for the contest version. Dev thread is also up at Playstuff.net

I'm going to start actually doing development on this (no deadline now :D). So I'm looking for some specific feedback, and if you could answer SOME of these questions, that would AWESOME. And please, be honest! My feelings will not be hurt.

• What is your favorite parts of the map? (Can be the tree divider between s1 and s2, or it could be a specific point)
  • What is your LEAST favorite part of the map (see above for examples)
  • How do you feel about the ammo/hp placements?
  • How do you feel about spawn times? If you are blu, do you feel that red is constantly there? As red, do you feel like your standing around waiting for a couple blu people to show up, or do they show up in waves?
  • FOR ATTACKERS: Do you notice the flank routes, or are they a tad hidden?
  • FOR DEFENDERS: Do you feel like you can build a stable defence at each points, or is there a particular area that isn't very defendable?
  • What do you think about the layout of the map?
  • Did you have fun? Or did you hate it? (a reason why would be nice)
  • Did you find the dogbread?

You do NOT have to answer all of these, you can if you want and you will get a cookie, but answer whichever ones you feel you can honestly answer.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright. Heavy isn't OP. Yyler is.
I'll make sure to detail it nicely.
That area still seems to have issues, can't tell if its players, or the layout. Need more testing.
That balcony is to take out sentries. Mangy suggested it (thus making it 100% correct, right?)
I'll detail it to be that way.
Yea, I was thinking about adjusting that somehow. not sure yet... suggestions?
Which small brush? wanna MS paint it for me?
I'll do a better job clipping/bullet blocking it for a1 (next version). Do you have sugesstions on how to clip/block the blades?

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
P2eZC.png

You can use a nodraw-textured fan the size of the blades, tie it to a momentary_rot_button, then have it OnFullyOpen SetPosition 0 and OnFullyClosed Open. That might work, I don't know. but tbh, I don't think the blades even need to be clipped.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
-snip-

You can use a nodraw-textured fan the size of the blades, tie it to a momentary_rot_button, then have it OnFullyOpen SetPosition 0 and OnFullyClosed Open. That might work, I don't know. but tbh, I don't think the blades even need to be clipped.
Alright, I'll work on that a bit. And yea, I plan on using a cylindrical brush(s) of noclip and block bullet.

http://i.imgur.com/pPjG6.jpg
bring this out to the fence, maybe add a roof to prevent silly jumps

http://i.imgur.com/0CNwy.jpg
raise the wall, make the ramp a bit narrower

that's really all i can think of atm

Oh, these are good ideas. I'll put them into the next version, see what happens.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Been doing some work (God I hate displacements). Displacements are still rough in some places.... but here is some shots of the newish area between CP1 and 2 in Stage 2.
cp_frozen_72_a10000.jpg

cp_frozen_72_a10001.jpg

cp_frozen_72_a10002.jpg

You can see some of the other changes I've made so far...

I still have things I want/need to do before the next version, but thats okay because I won't be releasing the updated version until AFTER the contest (Or if I don't make it past the prelim voting)

Tell me whatcha think.

EDIT: also updated the OP with new information regarding the map, and its backstory.

Last edited:

Vincent

aa
Sep 5, 2009
*What is your favorite parts of the map? (Can be the tree divider between s1 and s2, or it could be a specific point)
I had an amazing experience with 2 Medics, a Heavy, an Engineer, and myself as a soldier at the last point on stage three, right as you come out of the building running onto the point the Engineer had his setup (all level 3) under heavy fire, he went crazy repairing everything while the Medics kept him and the Heavy alive. The Heavy blocked a little of the fire going to the sentry and I popped off a few shots trying to kill people behind that base.

Thats gonna be a memory of my favorite moments in TF2 right there.

*What is your LEAST favorite part of the map (see above for examples)
At times it felt it was really to easy to lock down a team because they only had about 2 ways to go, if you've fixed this since then kudos. I don't really have a specific area on the map, and it didn't always feel like that (I played offense most of the time out of my experiences).

*How do you feel about the ammo/hp placements?
Never had any trouble finding ammo or health, don't have much else to say about it other than it feels fine.

*How do you feel about spawn times? If you are blu, do you feel that red is constantly there? As red, do you feel like your standing around waiting for a couple blu people to show up, or do they show up in waves?
I'm gonna be honest and say I can never really tell these kinds of things because I'm always using my time to either A)Kill People or B)Think about what I should be doing, what class feels like fun at the moment, etc. I guess I'd say this is also fine from my point of view.

*FOR ATTACKERS: Do you notice the flank routes, or are they a tad hidden?
Hardly notice them :O

*FOR DEFENDERS: Do you feel like you can build a stable defence at each points, or is there a particular area that isn't very defendable?
Never had any issues holding off entire teams of BLU simply going Heavy or Engineer, although that doesn't say much. When playing people that aren't completely retarded it feels perfectly balanced, after 2 ~ 3 minutes of being under heavy fire my team usually caves and we lose. Which is fine, because whenever I play retards we never lose.

*What do you think about the layout of the map?
Lookin' good like it should. :cool1:

*Did you have fun? Or did you hate it? (a reason why would be nice)
I think it's fairly obvious I enjoyed myself quite a bit.

*Did you find the dogbread?
Whats a breaddog?
(no I didn't find it)

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
EDIT: HAHA I lied.

Yea, so that idea got shot down really fast. Going to put the old final point spawns back where they were... and work from there after a test or 2.

What do you guys like/want changed for the final CP? *** Feedback for that would be lovely.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Late night, no clue how to properly use photoshop, attempt to make some sort of teaser:
cp_frozen_a1_poster.png

In all seriousness though, I have changed a LOT from the current version.
Which includes:
Adding a new route for blue between 2-1 and 2-2
Opened up the courtyard a bit before 2-1
adjusted 1-1
Multiple HP/Ammo packs added/relocated
Detailed some bits
Redid 2-2
plugged some holes
Basically did everything listed on the feedback page thus far.
Made map generally more fun
Removed Dogbread

So if you have any other bits of feedback for me. Please, leave it here.