5curve 

Map Version: Final 
Type: PL
Released: 03-13-2012 
Last Update: 08-05-2013 
ics
L3: Junior Member

Thumbs up 5curve

This is a payload map with a slight twist. It has one extra control point compared to basic Valve maps which makes it have longer track. 5 control points and the map is curvy, thus, 5curve since i already used the name curve earlier. Plays just like normal payload map!

Current version: pl_5curve (out 5th of August 2013) Download here

If you want the earlier version with dynamic elements and bottlenecks, pl_curve, click here

Map by ICS, ics@ics-base.net, www.ics-base.net, http://steamcommunity.com/id/ics

Thanks goes to:
Hakk1tus - You know why!
WeryBigMonk - initial testing, cubemap testing
DrShush - Early testing
othername - initial testing
Everyone who played b1-b9, rc1-rc5, pl_curve, pl_5curve_beta, earlier and gave feedback - thanks!

Changelog

Extensive changes since development started. Earlier versions:
pl_curve_b1-b9, pl_curve_rc1-rc5, pl_curve, pl_5curve_beta. Currect most final version is pl_5curve and it seems final so far. Thanks.

You can read all major changes by following this topic. All known issues have been adressed and fixes/adjusted/enhanced/remade/rethought and so on!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
Tom Hoen
L4: Senior Member

Thanks given: 241
Thanks received: 245

Finally curve is here!

Tell us more about it. What are the dynamic elements? How many points does it have?

Last edited by Tom Hoen; 03-13-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
ics

Thanks given: 45
Thanks received: 37

Added some new screenshots.

Tom Hoen: I'm keeping the dynamic element as a secret for now to avoid duplicate inventions. However, this has 5 control points, one more compared to badwater, upward or barnblitz

Last edited by ics; 03-20-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added reply to 1st question.
The Following User Says Thank You to ics For This Useful Post:

Old 03-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
ics

Updated screenshots & log.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Wilson
Founder of Wankhouse

Thanks given: 683
Thanks received: 716

You're detailing feels really messy.

I look at your images and i see buildings constantly changing texture, best example for this is your 3rd image, where brownish wood building suddenly has extension made out of red wood. In same image, in distance, other wooden building seems to be made out of 3 different woods.

Try not to use so many different textures in such small area and same building. More simple and consistent the texturing is, better the map looks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wilson For This Useful Post:

Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
Ezekel
Veteran Member

Thanks given: 227
Thanks received: 243

personally i disagree with wilson.
if you look at valve maps, there's a case for "extensions" on wooden buildings being made of a different colour of wood.

however in the case of image 3 - the texture on that lower extension with the diagonal surface doesn't really work. you'd prob be better with the wood bridge texture there or the brown elevator facade one.
- the barnblitz textures are notably different from the other wood textures, and the one you use there has a sort of dominance quality due to it's colour and the strength of the black lines. (i.e. it'd work better as a main building texture rather than as an 'extension' texture).

the building in the background of image 3 is fine though as is.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Sergis
Veteran Member

Thanks given: 643
Thanks received: 788

I believe the textures are fine. They are different, but similar enough to give overall tone to the area. It's not like they go from red to green to yellow to blue within the same building.

The map looks good, but you better be prepared to do some serious changes since as far as I can see, it's untested.

Originally Posted by grazr View Post
the fact a map recieves feedback from us at all is like a God send

Last edited by Sergis; 03-27-2012 at 05:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sergis For This Useful Post:

Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Fr0Z3n
npc_contest_holder

Thanks given: 2,605
Thanks received: 2,420

The one thing about the detailing that bugs me is that you have flat displacements. They are extremely un-realistic. Add some "piles" or something up against walls. just give the ground a bit more bump, besides that it isn't half bad, remind me of koth_mill.

I've never seem wilson detail anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fr0Z3n For This Useful Post:

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Wilson
Founder of Wankhouse

Thanks given: 683
Thanks received: 716

Quote:
if you look at valve maps, there's a case for "extensions" on wooden buildings being made of a different colour of wood.
I am aware and i am fine with these, but when you look at the images, this is happening way more often and in such small area than any Valve map.
I have nothing against of using different textures for buildings, it is just that here it goes bit overboard and looks messy.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
ics

That image 3 texture (actually the lower extension) does look a bit akward there, i'll see if i can find a better shape for the lower part or swap texture for that spot. I'll deal with it when the time comes.

The Valve style - yeah i kind of got the idea from them about not having all buildings the same texture. It would look dull and having some buildings here and there with different texture makes the map look better than having all the buildings with the same one. I know some textures can creatively to be used a lot in the same places though.

Displacements are sort of flat but not all of them. There are some other ones too and i haven't had time to detail aka adjust the displacements yet that much. I just painted alpha on them while i did the payload track. I'll rase and lower and add some more during building and tuning.

It is also important to remember that these screenshots are just a shot from one angle and do not contain all the places, pathways, details and improvements there could be.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

Today i finished sealing the map up and started adding areaportals. Next move is to add playerclips, skip/hint and see how it performs after that.

Comment  

Previous Release Next Release
Release Tools