Instance causing vbsp to crash

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Anyone ever had a problem like this? I hope so.

I have a certain instance in my map. When I compile with it, vbsp crashes, reporting unbound volumes all over the place. Without the instance Hella compiles fine.

The instance itself has no problems. It's just a massive func_detail sitting in the void. The problem checker reports that there is no player start and that is it. It compiles without issues.

Any ideas?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
No displacements, and anyway that's an error that would show up in the log on either file.

NoodleCollie

Stoat fiend
aa
Jul 30, 2009
I didn't know TF2 even supported instances. I know they're visible in Hammer but compiling with them always caused me problems because it's only the L4D2 and above compile tools that are programmed to be able to interpret them. You can, however, collapse the instance into the map in the instance menu before compiling.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I'm not even sure what that means. Maybe that's what we're doing?

You just place a func_instance in your map, point it to a vmf file relative to your map file, and that's it. I don't know what "collapsing" is in this case.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Wikis tend to go out of date, but I don't know when it was changed. The earliest I can recall using instances was for the artpass contest back in fall of 2010.