Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Geit
Site Staff

Thanks given: 110
Thanks received: 401

Default Feedback II

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazr View Post
I feel i should remind you that sometimes it's unrealistic to ask or expect not to be killed when submitting a feedback as many pieces of feedback with the exception of signs or broken doors are left in highly contested areas such as choke points. It's unreasonable to ask the game to be paused for 30 seconds whilst one person writes an annotation.

But there is however nothing stopping them from revisiting or visiting the map prior to test sessions to avoid that dilemma.

As for the non-regulars who probably don't have that level of patience i should remind people that Geit did add in the functionality to view and leave annotations whilst in spectator. So instead of trying to unsuccessfully leave feedback during combat there's nothing stopping you from jumping into spectator the next time you die and flying around for a bit to assess and leave the relavent feedback.
Only just saw this message, sorry for the double post! - As part of Milestone 3, functionality will be added to "bookmark" a location. When this happens, the back end will attempt to download the map and take a screenshot of the location. The screenshot will then be uploaded to the web panel, and when the player next joins the server, a new round is started or the player enters a specific command, a dialog will pop up and ask them to annotate each screenshot. They will also have the option to skip doing this if they've forgotten why they bookmarked the location, the bookmarks will automatically be deleted after 7 days unless they are annotated.

That should help with the problem of having to break the flow of the game to create a feedback. It could also be bound to a key to make it even simpler.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
Trotim
Veteran Member

Thanks given: 1,065
Thanks received: 954

Default Feedback II

I dunno how to feel about this. The feedback plugin right now works even if it is a bit simplistic, and yes more stats would help, but I just have this inherent fear of feature creep and the plugin becoming too cumbersome if all that stuff is done.

Yes it would be great if all this were made and worked. It just seems like such a colossal project. Good luck anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trotim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
LeSwordfish
semi-trained quasi-professional

Thanks given: 1,138
Thanks received: 2,048

Default Feedback II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geitiegg View Post
Only just saw this message, sorry for the double post! - As part of Milestone 3, functionality will be added to "bookmark" a location. When this happens, the back end will attempt to download the map and take a screenshot of the location. The screenshot will then be uploaded to the web panel, and when the player next joins the server, a new round is started or the player enters a specific command, a dialog will pop up and ask them to annotate each screenshot. They will also have the option to skip doing this if they've forgotten why they bookmarked the location, the bookmarks will automatically be deleted after 7 days unless they are annotated.

That should help with the problem of having to break the flow of the game to create a feedback. It could also be bound to a key to make it even simpler.
So to clarify, I can, say, hit "T" to save a location, and then at the start of the next round or when I type a command, it shows me all the locations I've saved, and I can put feedback on them?

Will I be able to do this from outside the game/map/server? Being able to save them for later then annotate them the next day through the website at work sounds cool.

Last edited by LeSwordfish; 04-24-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
Geit
Site Staff

Default Feedback II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotim View Post
I dunno how to feel about this. The feedback plugin right now works even if it is a bit simplistic, and yes more stats would help, but I just have this inherent fear of feature creep and the plugin becoming too cumbersome if all that stuff is done.

Yes it would be great if all this were made and worked. It just seems like such a colossal project. Good luck anyway.
The feedback plugin itself won't be changing much, the inherent system design is just getting spruced up in some places, all the end user stuff will be almost identical. Milestone 1 is a redesign of the existing system and Milestones 2 and 3 are extra features that shouldn't touch core functionality. - I understand your worry, and it's one that I share, however I'm also extremely concious about anything that would slow a system down too massively, so everything should remain nice and fast, even with the extra features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
So to clarify, I can, say, hit "T" to save a location, and then at the start of the next round or when I type a command, it shows me all the locations I've saved, and I can put feedback on them?

Will I be able to do this from outside the game/map/server? Being able to save them for later then annotate them the next day through the website at work sounds cool.
Yes - The Bookmarks would be attached to your Steam Account, and you could fill them in whenever you pleased, whether it be through the web panel, or from within the game (In-game will likely only open the page on the web panel anyway)

Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #25
LeSwordfish
semi-trained quasi-professional

Thanks given: 1,138
Thanks received: 2,048

Default Feedback II

That sounds bloody lovely, although i do predict a lot of "I have no idea what i wanted in this area, i'm still hungover" comments. I guess that's what the skip command is for.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
Bereth
L337: Competitve Mapper

Thanks given: 22
Thanks received: 78

Default Feedback II

Personally I like a minimum limit on characters. It means that if someone comes by when you first start to leave feedback you can just hit enter and run away to leave feedback later.

There's two other feature I think would be good. The ability to correct an annotation would be nice. I'm not talking about editing it after you make an annotation, but if you say !ca (correct annotation) you would leave your new location as well as a message attached to your last bit of feedback. It helps with typos and clarifications.

I would also like to have voice chat recorded along with the location of the player when he/she first begins the broadcast. People seem to do this already, and adding it to the feedback system seems like it would be beneficial. Of course the ever present finger slipping off the button is a problem, plus sound files occupy a lot of memory compared to numeric values/text.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #27
theharribokid
Site Staff

Thanks given: 1,662
Thanks received: 791

Default Feedback II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bereth View Post
Personally I like a minimum limit on characters. It means that if someone comes by when you first start to leave feedback you can just hit enter and run away to leave feedback later.

There's two other feature I think would be good. The ability to correct an annotation would be nice. I'm not talking about editing it after you make an annotation, but if you say !ca (correct annotation) you would leave your new location as well as a message attached to your last bit of feedback. It helps with typos and clarifications.

I would also like to have voice chat recorded along with the location of the player when he/she first begins the broadcast. People seem to do this already, and adding it to the feedback system seems like it would be beneficial. Of course the ever present finger slipping off the button is a problem, plus sound files occupy a lot of memory compared to numeric values/text.
Don't demos record ingame voice chat? I think they are a better solution to hearing people's voice chat feedback

I am physically incapable of half-assing a joke map. Shit is super serious business.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Seba
I main Ganondorf

Thanks given: 2,637
Thanks received: 2,044

Default Feedback II

Yeah, you can just watch a demo. Although rewinding back to the beginning of the comment is annoying as fuck...

22:52 - umb: my town has a whale penis lamp in a museum

Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
Geit
Site Staff

Default Feedback II

Added Milestone 4, this is largely an overhaul of the functionality used for the existing Events scheduler, with some added perks thrown in for people who haven't got the ability to create their own events. - Initially the functionality detailed here will be restricted to TF2M only to see how bandwidth/resource demanding it is, if it proves successful, it'll be deployed to any valid servers.

Milestone 4 (9th August 2012):
  • Servers that support the replay system will have their replays copied to the Web Panel and reconstructed into STV Demos and attached to the applicable map page.
  • Servers that support Source TV will have their replays copied to the Web Panel and attached to the applicable map page.
  • Extended Details:
    • Replays will always be favored over Source TV demos if available on the server, if both systems are enabled, only the replays will be downloaded.
    • Map authors will have to opt in to have their demos fetched, an 'Opt-In' is only applicable for a maximum of 72 days after it is created (User selected length for below that) and demos will be deleted 28 days after their creation, or at author or server owner request (dual ownership)
    • Anyone will be able to download demos, however, they must be logged in to do so.
    • Events will have demos recorded automatically for any maps in them, regardless of opt-in status.
    • This option will only be available if the server owner has provided FTP details direct to their server, or they can be harvested using the readily available replay download link - It may also be possible to send them over a socket from the game plugin, however this may not be viable due to performance issues.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #30
stevethepocket
Mobile Ferguson is thinking about his pants.

Thanks given: 235
Thanks received: 1,053

Default Feedback II

Man, if you can figure out a way to piece together whole working demos out of replay files, you can look forward to having Valve knocking on your door. That shit ought to be a standard feature!

Previous Thread Next Thread