Portal 2 - Perpetual Testing Initiative (May 8'th)

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
I just realized... what if the special surprise thing they're adding to TF2 this summer... is a version of this tool for TF2?

Well you have a point of such, it would be useful to have a tool like this to create a very rough and basic blocky version of a map using the editor and then build around it in Hammer, and it's automatically mirrored along a central axis etc...

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well you have a point of such, it would be useful to have a tool like this to create a very rough and basic blocky version of a map using the editor and then build around it in Hammer, and it's automatically mirrored along a central axis etc...

I think what you're thinking is something like sketch-up but with a vmf plugin.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It doesn't export to vmf, it saves to vmf.

But yes I guess you could in theory use this to block out TF2 maps. You'd need to manually rotate/mirror the map and as you say swap out textures and add entities.

Though it doesn't seem hugely worthwhile since there's no way to add geometry smaller than 64 units, which happen a lot in TF2

And JFYI I'm not turning into some kind of plugin generating machine. I made one tool that I plan to expand a little.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
It doesn't export to vmf, it saves to vmf.

But yes I guess you could in theory use this to block out TF2 maps. You'd need to manually rotate/mirror the map and as you say swap out textures and add entities.

Though it doesn't seem hugely worthwhile since there's no way to add geometry smaller than 64 units, which happen a lot in TF2

And JFYI I'm not turning into some kind of plugin generating machine. I made one tool that I plan to expand a little.

I meant, like, if you were in search of other ideas.

And you can lay out a hell of a lot of a map on a 64hu grid. IIRC jackal was on a 64 grid almost entirely until I added the walkways. I also made a arena map without dropping below 64.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Portal 2 66% off and with way more replay value, might actually buy it now

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Ugh, don't remind me. I bought this game for my cousin back during I guess the Christmas sale, because I had recommended the original to her back when it was briefly free and she loved it, and never got around to giving it to her. So I could have waited until now and saved six bucks without anyone losing out on anything.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Oh man, at the very minimum I love all the new Cave lines they added for the PTI. There's something like 25-30 minutes worth.

It gets pretty :O after a while.

Also, Chariots Chariots.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I like the alternate universe Caves. Particularly the one that tells you to fight Manmen.