[WIP]cpl_snaketemple

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
haha nice idea ! I was considering slaughtering all left players in the wrong spawn, but your solution is more humane :blush:

As for the issue with blocking capture, I'm thinking of the following setup :

Capture zone still send the OnNumCappersChanged input to a math_remap and a logic_case to change cart speed.
There is a trigger multiple of the same size, filtered with the ennemy team. This trigger disable the logic_case and set the cart speed to zero. When leaving the zone, it enables the logic case again.
This should let the capture zone show the "blocked" state. But I fear the enabling won't make the cart advance if num_cappers doesn't change. Maybe I should disable the capture_area then enable it some ms after ?

Anyway the question is the following, does blocking a capture or ending the block DO change the NumCappers variable ?

Last edited:

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
I 've made the setup for the teleporters, fixed cart collision and managed to make teams able to stop ennemy cart progression

For this I've chosen to disable the func_capture_area and played with custom CP icons to show this :

2e8adaef-0ab3-4b8a-a60b-1414ba6daa42

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
First full server test session was messy yesterday. Mainly my fault, I just forgot to remove the instant respawn time...

So first lesson is either not to play with instant respawn or make spawn rooms way farther. Today I'll try with a respawn time of 20s.

To help give teamplay more edge, I'll try a 5 level push ladder: that is the cart goes faster for each people pushing it up to X5 (goldrush is capped to X3)

Finally, partial victory conditions will be used with more advanced team winning the race at the end of the main timer. Only two nearly equidistant carts will generate sudden death/stalemate

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
I finally managed to make some hud to follow cart progression, playing with cp logic and custom textures

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Very nice! The colors look very bright and irritatting though, if possible you should try desaturating them a little.

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
Love the custom HUD, looking good.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Thanks, I see it needs to be toned down... some one is proposing me a new design

Anyway I quicly wrapped up all of this to get a new testable version

The dynamic snake sign now shows the corresponding location. This should help people understand where they are. I've done an ugly texture change to help differentiate the two sides of the map. Gameplay wise the cart has 5 level of speed ranging from 0 to 1.35 and respawn wave time is set to 20s. I hope this will allows any of the team to achieve the goal.

After this I should alter the map structure and begin eye candy

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
You really need a frame around that auboros thing, looks weird pasted right on the wood.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Thank you for the palette.

yup, I plastered it directly here for people to see, and didn't do any graphical work this past three days beyond some color tuning, because I wanted to rush directly at defining the gameplay. To be honest, I've not chosen yet where these signs should be placed.

Last tests gave me some highlights :

-with respawn time not set to instant, and larger push scale this map is definitively winnable (in 15 and 5 min precisely)
-engies are overwhelmed. Defending need definitively more cooperation. I will use a 1m setup time with barriers cutting the map in two halves. This should make first preparation more important. In our first test medic + demo where the winning move to halt the other cart' progression
-spawn rooms should be set a bit farther from the tracks.
-circular HUD makes it very easy to guess what the situation is.

My greatest issue is that people get stuck into the cart on a regular basis. I don't know what to do.. my model has no collisions, the track_train is set to unblockable by players... I added a invisible brush moving along to block nades and other projectiles. People are genly pushed by the cart but when it turns it may "swallow" players and let them stuck in.. :( I don't really know what to do about this.

PS : on a gameplay viewpoint some complained defense was sometimes very harsh. I've the choice to make spawns stay immobile until capped by the other team, rather than make them move with the cart. This should create some quite different gameplay...

Last edited:

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
I added a fair setup time with doors cutting the map in half and winning condition for getting the cart farther when the timers ends. Couldn't do a new test, though.

Before trying to make the place nicer, I'd like to share an alpha version, but I still have issues with players getting stuck in the cart, mostly in tight turns. Maybe I should get rid of them completely...

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I finally managed to make some hud to follow cart progression, playing with cp logic and custom textures

I like that a lot. Have you tried using the circle thing that shows up when you're capping a Control Point, though? I think that would look a lot nicer on the HUD, and everyone would be instantly familiar with it.

Last edited:

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
You mean the texture ? Maybe I should. For the circle itself, that shows up when capping, I can't use it for cart progression. It helps mainly to know if one is pushing.

Last edited:

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Screens of the latest build, featuring the new HUD (I finally understood how to make them sleek and clean) and the two cliff sides for comparison

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Now that HUD is a lot better. Well done.

The screens look really nice, even though that circle overlay looks very out of place.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
I still have collision problem with last update. I'll try with a physic_ovverride, since it's how valve do it.

I'm going to give each spawn an upstairs exit. blocking a cart sometimes involves camping near them.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I think physics_override is only for the pit on stage 3, when it falls down. I use a prop_dynamic and it works perfectly. This problem is really weird, I wish I could help. :/

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
yep, It didn't help at all.

I heightened a bit the path_track so as to set the same height on track train as in goldrush. But still, when letting me pushed on the track there is always a moment where I'm swallowed by the train and I can't go out :( This time I've directly used track_train and prop_entity from the decompiled version of goldrush.

EDIT : I've added a func_push to gently push players who stand in front the train. This should prevent getting stuck in it unless on really seek to "enter" the train. I smoothed most curves, but the core issue remains... and if I can' tackle it, the map is screwed :(

Last edited:

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Excellent new HUD!