[OFFICIAL] TF2Maps Arctic Theme Pack Thread

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
Anyone know the beartrap with no texture?
Well someone could use the beartrap in the upgradestation as a base for the texture.

Noizeblaze

L1: Registered
Jan 16, 2014
gQq4G.png

WIP.

Last edited:

Jukebox

L2: Junior Member
Feb 21, 2014
I'm making a jarate snowball for a different thing, but I can easily use it to also make some snowmen or icicles. I'd be interested in making some later when I don't have so much on my plate from work and school.

5ef6135099.png

The blue comes from a custom lightwarp but isn't nearly as blue in game, the texture is just white+AO(and the yellow) so it'd be pretty easy to use on other snow props. I'll make a few adjustments to it and post it here if you guys like it.

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I'm making a jarate snowball for a different thing, but I can easily use it to also make some snowmen or icicles. I'd be interested in making some later when I don't have so much on my plate from work and school.

5ef6135099.png

The blue comes from a custom lightwarp but isn't nearly as blue in game, the texture is just white+AO(and the yellow) so it'd be pretty easy to use on other snow props. I'll make a few adjustments to it and post it here if you guys like it.

Will you also make a peed on snow pile? I'd like to put that somewhere with a sniper mug next to it :p

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Working on an alternate snow texture with a bumpmap:

2015_03_26_00018.jpg

Sorry for the quick, ugly displacement. Here's it from underwater (not that it looks good in this lighting):

2015_03_26_00017.jpg

It's quite blue, but I think that it could work in a very icy place. Please tell me if you think I should make any edits.

One more note: The texture is scaled from its .25x.25 proportions in Hammer, so if you're interested in seeing it at a different scale, let me know.

Kraken

Dec 21, 2014
That is very blue snow, try toning it down a little.

Kraken

Dec 21, 2014
I just realized something.
We don't have an accurate definition of "arctic"

Lobey

Mar 27, 2015
Hi there! I'm going to be working on some textures for the pack, probably mostly just brick, cement, wood stuff since I can do that on my macbook with photoshop. :) I'm also totally new to these forums.

That snow does look really blue but snow does look quite blue in the shade so keep that in mind! It's super reflective so snow can be two very different colors if its in the sun vs in the shade.

As to what Kraken just posted ^, I think if someone could post some photos of what they want the style to be (defining the arctic theme) that would be really helpful. For now I will be mimicking similar styled textures on other arctic tf2 maps like coldfront and viaduct. I'm assuming thats what this pack is going for(?)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Something you might want to get together is a 'mood board' (I think they're called that. Thats what I call 'em). They're really big images with a bunch of smaller images to get an idea of what direction you want things to look. This is absolutely necessary for coherent and cohesive artstyles.

An example of one that I made for my game:
lowpoly_organics_moodboard.png

Last edited:

Kraken

Dec 21, 2014
You have your own game?
What is it called?

Lobey

Mar 27, 2015
I imagine something like this would make a great background to any map, but it's not a very exciting environment to move around in.
I think we should have some props that focus on a winter/forest environment maybe something like this (plants and rocks covered in snow). Maybe some military-base-esque stuff to make control points more interesting (I know that pic is some ghost recon shit don't fire me its the best I could find!).

The idea of creating a mood board is really nice, but we already know the art style has to match tf2 so I think we should make our mood board consist of pictures that emulate the setting more than the art style. Then if someone is wondering what to make next they can look at the photos, choose one of the objects in one of the photos, and model it.

Last edited:

Noizeblaze

Jan 16, 2014
A mood board isn't just for art style.

Indeed. I always often search for images I can use and splay out on a huge moodboard to help me design things. Take this old narrow gauge engine I still need to tighten up for sake of example:

gSp1n.jpg

It's a good practice for designing because it allows you to see all manner of interesting possibilities to refer to and you can experiment with the best elements of the visual research you have done to reach an unique conclusion. Don't be afraid of just finding a bunch of images you think will suit the task and playing about with what you have found with no particular plan because sometimes better things come from free-formed improvisation rather than marriage to a vision. The filename for that engine originally denoted that it was meant to have a tender but I thought it was more interesting for it to have a slanted cab with an open back as a tank engine to avoid it just being a square cab.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Fuuuuuck, I mood board is exactly what I need for my game....

Regardless, I'll work on one for the arctic pack as well