Emerge

PL Emerge a9

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Map by Joe 'Fr0z3nR' Radak
joeradak.com

A 3 CP Single Stage Payload Map nestled the Alaskan Wilderness. RED's taken over an old mine for something, and naturally the BLU Corp doesn't like it... or they do like it, and want it for themselves... who knows, it's probably gravel.

This is currently my weekend warrior-esque project when I don't feel like staring at other projects.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Updated.

a4:
Moved second point further up the track.
Added Rollback zones around second point.
Added visuals to all rollsback zones
Adjusted first building before first point to be less sentry campy and promote sentry spots on the outside of said building.
Made finale exterior again.
Did a base texture pass.
Added a second resupply locker to blue spawn

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Hey, frozen you can disregard some of my feedback that I gave during the test. I don't think BLU has a clear advantage over RED, more rounds proved that it was possible to defend. I think it was just teams being a bit unbalanced and I was tired.

However I still think the map is unbalanced in the favor of BLU scouts. They have too much access to height advantages over RED and it often lead to spawn-camping. Possibly soldiers as well.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
New Flank Route on Emerge
pl_emerge_a50000.jpg
pl_emerge_a50001.jpg
pl_emerge_a50002.jpg

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
This map is kinda weird. The overall flow and shape of the map makes it difficult to both defend and attack because players get spread across all the numerous inter-connecting routes that seem to lack purpose.

Another thing is that when I enter an area, it should be pretty obvious what I'm looking at. "Oh, that's the sniper balcony", "That's the sentry spot", "That is where I should be going", but none of the areas have that level of readability and none of the areas are places I want to be in.

For example, take the following:

QMoJKeR.jpg

I don't know what I'm meant to be focusing on here. There's so much stuff that distracts me from what is going on. The ledges get in the way, there is a weird sightline on the door in the centre, and the height elevation on the right is a massive blocker that breaks up the area too much.

From a reverse angle it's the same problem:

KtLYDcH.jpg

The pillars and ledges make me not want to move forward because they block me from moving easily and create strange, thin sightline blockers that ruin my view of the area. Again, the massive block in the middle gets in the way too much and makes the area feel really cramped.

V9t97NE.jpg

The crate and railing on the left ruin the flow especially when there's a bunch of players around the cart. Same for the building on the right; it's too close to the cart track.

upload_2015-12-13_18-47-34.png

The numerous doorways here make the area feel unfocused. It looks and feels messy.

upload_2015-12-13_18-50-4.png

I don't know what I'm meant to do when defending last. There are no sentry spots and there's no cover. It's also really easy for blue to spawn camp if they have a demo/soldier on the pipe and other team members at the other exit. There should be at least three exits that are relatively far apart to discourage spawn camping.

That's all I have for now. The map needs a lot of refinement before it can start to become enjoyable.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010

Yea, these are a bunch of issues I was experiencing/knew about. Lots of parts of this map was me just throwing weird/new ideas down, and seeing what happens. I liked the style, but in the end, I don't think it played out as well as I had hoped. May end up scrapping it.