TF2M Annual Major Contest # 3

andysss456

L2: Junior Member
Sep 28, 2008
So custom material is allowed right? Even that of which isn't made by the map maker, as long as it public to everyone? like pre-existing custom content? As well as that which is made by the mapper?

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Sorry for the delay everyone. Suffice to say I've had some medical stuff that put me out of commission for a few days. In regards to the 2 stage minimum for PLR, I added that b/c I felt like the game mode is already pretty close to death match, and having just one stage would make it moreso. However, I have already given the ok for a number of very creative variations and changes to both modes, so I suppose having a 1 stage race couldn't really hurt. Consider it done, though I'm not in any condition to make an announcement right now. Look for this change and some other notable items in tomorrow's news thingy.

Connect_Four

Jan 28, 2009
However, I have already given the ok for a number of very creative variations and changes to both modes, so I suppose having a 1 stage race couldn't really hurt. Consider it done...
Thank you so much. Now I can finally start sketching :p

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I've begun increasingly worried that the popular vote will be biased towards a specific game mode. I've already heard several people making verdicts on the CTF game mode :(

It's discouraging.

ikem

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 8, 2008
Sorry for the delay everyone. Suffice to say I've had some medical stuff that put me out of commission for a few days. In regards to the 2 stage minimum for PLR, I added that b/c I felt like the game mode is already pretty close to death match, and having just one stage would make it moreso. However, I have already given the ok for a number of very creative variations and changes to both modes, so I suppose having a 1 stage race couldn't really hurt. Consider it done, though I'm not in any condition to make an announcement right now. Look for this change and some other notable items in tomorrow's news thingy.

no one has still gotten back to me about my game style

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
I'm curious with this huge flood on contest maps (I'm seeing quite a few people who's contest entry is there first or second map. Mad props to you for having the cajones to da that) will the non contest maps see an increase or decrease in popularity.

I'm thinking an increase since were going to a 1:17 ratio of non-contest maps to contest ones. I'm thinking people might get just a tinsey tiny bit sick.

I've begun increasingly worried that the popular vote will be biased towards a specific game mode. I've already heard several people making verdicts on the CTF game mode :(

It's discouraging.

Looks like the public should hate both game modes. /joke/

Also, why am I not on the panel of judges? /joke.0.2/

uma plata

Jan 20, 2009

It's discouraging.

I agree, but it can't be helped, other than by designing the best map possible

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I would say a consequence of this contest is that, at some point, people will get burnt out on playing plr or ctf maps all day everyday for gameday :) Thats what I remember feeling during the pl contest, where the rotation consisted of a total of 6 maps with at least half of those being contest entries.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Any chance of having different categories? CTF and PLR?

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008

It's discouraging.

I give high odds that people didn't like the gamemode on your map mainly because you didn't add the trigger that prevents cap when someone from red is standing on the cap...

I'm thinking an increase since were going to a 1:17 ratio of non-contest maps to contest ones. I'm thinking people might get just a tinsey tiny bit sick.

Believe me, this does happen...I no longer like payload due to the last contest <_<

andysss456

Sep 28, 2008
I think that depending on the number of entries in the end. Say if there are more than 10 of each then it should be the best of each type. Otherwise they should all be tacked together.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I think it's important to note the similarities between A/D CTF and PLR, not their differences. They are both fresh new gametypes that don't really have polished, proven maps to use as examples to imitate.

This contest is not about making a map as good as something Valve has made. It is about making the best possible gameplay you can think of based on these new gametypes. That is why some flexibility is being allowed in terms of tweaking the way they work. The challenge here is to design a map around a new game mode so that it is fun and rewarding for players. A clever interpretation of A/D CTF is going to stand out just as much as a clever interpretation of PLR.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
chaos%20signs_gRm.jpg

I've finally made some signs for you 'orrible lot to use in your maps. You only need one of them, but you must have a calculated chaos sign somewhere in your map

You may make your own chaos sign, run it past Immortal-D for him to check it's alright. I haven't ran these ones past him yet, he might want me to make something else as well.. we'll see.

Download - http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1608

also: lol this isn't a sticky?? *fixes*

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
For the new flag gamemode you should make prefabs of Computers you deliver the intel to. Then it makes sense (sort of) when the station spits out new intel for you to deliver to the next computer station.

More intuitive than pedestals and magically appearing briefcases at least.

Last edited:

StoneFrog

May 28, 2008
My map (relay) is kind of doing that, with the intelligence briefcases containing computer override codes to allow the players to progress past gates and (eventually) disarm a missile.