Model Ventilation Fan - Daylight inspired

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Since i'm a huge fan of the movie DAYLIGHT (+1) with the infamous sly stallone i always wanted to have these huuuuuge ventilation fans ingame, and DasMatze inspired me to finally give it a go !
different approach this time. Releasing the model i have so far to see if there should be more different sized versions, maybe slower animation or another "darker" texture variation(?) to fit a wider set of background textures to build on.
Again sry for my mismatching mapping brushwork on the screenshot :D
Prop should be used as prop_dynamic, as it has basic rotation animation :)
Anyways, have fun !

Download:
http://acumen-design.de/projects/show/fan.rar

fan_ingame.jpg

This thread uses images in microscreenshot-format - copyrighted to eeerieone

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
IT IS 640 :eek:~~~~
i go change to 639 now !

edit: AHA ! it's 600px max - you can up your screenshots 100px !!!
:D

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
hahaha, still i see the uglybar, make the screenshots max 640 wide :)

It can be set in your user options, I think I have mine to 1024 wide :)

On topic: Looks great, I could probably use them for Panic, but that dark skin you mentioned would fit in much better!

I haven't checked the speed of the rotation, but personally I would like the options of: 1. full power 2. idle spinning (slow but fluid) 3. off

Nice work

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
i was thinking about doing something like this, but you beat me to the punch, and I dont mind cause this fan is AMAZING. Im gonna be throwing these babies in my map. thanks Acumen!

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Is there an idle animation that doesn't rotate?

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
actually i was also thinking along Ravidge's line. 3 animations - fast, slow and no rotation.
i was experimenting with a darker texture yesterday, but not too satisfied. think i need to see on which textures one might use the fan. i'm thinking about 3 textures, grey, beige and dark grey version :)
will report update in a couple of days !
till then, i thank you for your feedbach :)

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
For cylindrical things like that, having a big "lip" around the edge makes it a lot easier to snug them into brushwork.

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
this fan is really impressive. I'm gona use some on my maps. And then i shall see how it works :D Btw, Nice work acumen :)

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
terr, how you mean that ?
i was actually imitating the sewer_grate modeling work, don't know if you mean that ?
thx, ricardojvc6 :)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Cutting out a circlein brushwork is no fun. making the seams hidden by a prop are even less fun. So if you make the tube behind the fan xx units then the player can make his hole xx+8 units and then you should have the wall mounted part of the fan extending to xx+32 units or something like that so that the mapper can be rough and use as few brushes as possible when making their hole for it.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I haven't seen it ingame yet, but the textures seem a little un-TF2-y to me. Are they from the game?

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i still don't understand, youme, sry :(
i just built it exactly the way the sewer was made and thought mappers would know how to handle it, since i've seen the sewers in quite a few maps.

Trotim, i guess you'll just have to try it out. you can still decided whether you think it fits or not :)

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
i still don't understand, youme, sry :(

Imagine your fan is actually a sewer pipe with bars across the front. If you stick it straight into a brick wall brush, then someone looks through the bars and sees.... a brick wall inside the pipe.

So then the mapper needs to cut out a hole in the brick wall, and needs to do it so that nobody can possibly see "around" the outer rim of the pipe to see the gaps.

Having an extra-wide "lip" to the pipe/fan that widens out where it touches the surface of the wall can help disguise these joins and make it easier on the mapper.

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
but isn't this the lip i marked on that picture, that you are talking about ?
i mean, like i said, i modeled it almost completely after the sewer model

fan_lip.jpg