Multiplayer crashes

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
Okay, my map (pl_industry_a2) loads fine on my box and others, but when we tried it in multiplayer tonight it crashed the server.

The admin said it had an issue to do with physics (from what I remember over voice chat when the next map loaded).

I have a whole ton of models that I set to "Not Solid" in their solidity. I noticed that when I load the map, every single one gives a red flag console line like this:

SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_farm/wood_support001.mdl)

There must be more than a hundred of these lines in the console. (I did a condump too.)

First, do you think this would crash an MP server?

Second, how do you set props to be not solid without getting this message or without having an error?

Dravu

L1: Registered
Dec 1, 2009
Do you have a team_train_watcher entity? If you have a train/payload and you don't have this entity, I found that it works fine running it locally (I believe it works fine on windows servers as well) but throw it on a (linux?) tf2 server and it'll crash it.

XFunc_CaRteR

May 14, 2009
Do you have a team_train_watcher entity? If you have a train/payload and you don't have this entity, I found that it works fine running it locally (I believe it works fine on windows servers as well) but throw it on a (linux?) tf2 server and it'll crash it.

Yes, I have a team_train_watcher entity.

However, my god, it's a Red payload (Red pushes the bomb) and the only team_train_watcher Valve has provided is for a Blu bomb payload.

Would I have to ask Valve to code a team_train_watcher setting to enable a Red payload?

Dravu

L1: Registered
Dec 1, 2009
Yes, I have a team_train_watcher entity.

However, my god, it's a Red payload (Red pushes the bomb) and the only team_train_watcher Valve has provided is for a Blu bomb payload.

Would I have to ask Valve to code a team_train_watcher setting to enable a Red payload?
It should have three options for what team you want:
red, blue, and "any"

Make sure it's on Red

XFunc_CaRteR

May 14, 2009
Okay, I set it to Red.

When it loads it gives the right message to each team (i.e. tells Red to push bomb, Blu to stop bomb), but the train watcher still looks blue.

I hope this will work.

MoonQuake

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2009
My guess is that it's not the above error that's the problem, but the number of entities you have. You said you had a lot. Well, it's a possibility and easy to test.

Load up your map, then type in the console:

report_entities

at the bottom of the list, you'll see the number of edicts. You want to keep that number below 1200. (since polycount update)

Having too many entities often means you'll bust the number of edicts these entities can use up while you play.

Can't go above 2048, so knowing that all players use a lot (about 800 on a full 32 man server), try to reduce the number of entities and use as few physics entities as possible. (turn prop_dynamics into prop_static...etc..)

See this post for full details:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showpost.php?p=118676&postcount=5

The reason why it won't crash when you're alone on the map testing, is because you don't have all the other players using up the edicts and busting the limit.

MQ

Last edited: