[WIP] space something or another.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Something I've been working with the last many nights. currently around 12 hours into it.

dot.jpg

No its not much looking.. but man, i went crazy on brush work lol. I didn't get a closer shot but the walls are ...pretty darn detailed

Currently with just the hull its 10k faces, however thats not optimized any bit at all right now.

Going to be a very simple CTF map. as to the layout I'm not sure. The middle area's will have ramps down to the ground level which will be the spawn points for each time. The map will have many triggers I'm going to try to play with the ideas of CP's time will make the other teams ramp start to close, ETC.

Anyways, just wanted to map some post it here, its been a while.

Whether this will be anything of a functional map i don't know, but I'm having fun making it =)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
wow, that looks nice, but with that many windows its going to be a b**** to optimise (also, would some kind of space base have that many windows? (how many did the eagle lander have)

Make sure you get some kick ass senery for the surface of the moon/planet/asteroid/commet that means displacements like mad, craters, boulders... You'll need new textures too (if you want some I might help you out, just shout and I'll see what I can do)
Looking forward to it :D

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
damn thats some fancy brushwork. me likey.

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Good stuff DJive...

Im not sure about the optimizing part, but that is some serious brush work there. Brush work is fun when you get going on a roll.

PS, I would think that if there was a hotel in space it would have lots of windows... maybe call it _lunarhotel or something like that

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Beware that even if it's small you can easily get up to source brush limits. I think chaos has about 87%-ish brush capacity in it according to the compile summary. :*(

ChickenHunter

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 12, 2008
Will there be defult low gravity? :p
I love low gravity
cant wait to play it

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
wow, that looks nice, but with that many windows its going to be a b**** to optimise (also, would some kind of space base have that many windows? (how many did the eagle lander have)

Make sure you get some kick ass scenery for the surface of the moon/planet/asteroid/commet that means displacements like mad, craters, boulders... You'll need new textures too (if you want some I might help you out, just shout and I'll see what I can do)
Looking forward to it :D

Would be cool, TBH i haven't even thought of texturing/skybox yet lol. In time i guess. ty for the offer, when i get there i'll make sure to ask.

That is not mapping, but modeling!
I'm feeling quite small now, looking at me own map...

Don't be at all. All my maps are brushwork type. I have a lot of experience with it. If you love what your doing, keep doing it and before no time you'll be great at it. BUT to be fair, i bet you know a ton more of triggers then i do =p *grumbles*

Good stuff DJive...
Im not sure about the optimizing part, but that is some serious brush work there. Brush work is fun when you get going on a roll.
PS, I would think that if there was a hotel in space it would have lots of windows... maybe call it _lunarhotel or something like that

So true ;) I like the lunar part, maybe when more is added i can make something of it.

Beware that even if it's small you can easily get up to source brush limits. I think chaos has about 87%-ish brush capacity in it according to the compile summary. :*(

Urgh, stinkin limits! I'll have to check the log, i think imma do a quick optimization to give me an idea.

Will there be defult low gravity? :p
I love low gravity
cant wait to play it

Never messed with it, but love the idea and would fit this perfect!. However... is the low grave a brush or a server.cfg? IE i would only want low grav outside the space thing, not it.

Ty All.

bazola

L1: Registered
Feb 12, 2008
That is very cool. Very, very cool :)

Some thoughts on optimization. If you put the thing in a crater or ravine and made sure to keep that out of sight of everything else, I think it would run well and also be pretty fun. If you did something like that you could probably func_detail the whole thing. I'm not sure but I think that would keep it from sending you over the brush limit.

ChickenHunter

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 12, 2008
try using a trigger_push brush but with lowers speed pointing upwards so that when you jump you jump higher and float down slower giving the feeling of low gravity. i can send you a file with such an entity if you want

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
try using a trigger_push brush but with lowers speed pointing upwards so that when you jump you jump higher and float down slower giving the feeling of low gravity. i can send you a file with such an entity if you want
I may have to see that when i get to that point, would be awesome. ty.

Just a small update... but who doesnt like screenshots!

Worked on trim and forward Spawn room. Also added the "get on station ramp archway"

Not shown is the door, i forgot to compile it, ah well.

dot1.jpg

Oh!. I went around as a heavy for a second and thought how cool it would be if all the glass was func_breakable? yay/nah?

Last edited:

trackhed

L3: Member
Jan 24, 2008
wow and depends how far visibility goes from a certain set of windows

if you could perhaps shoot out windows that made a perfect little sniper path? too much room for exploits

carefully calculated it could be done

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
only problem i can see from a gameplay perspective with breakable glass would be if their is visibility from the outside = too much fun for snipers :D, awesome brushwork love how you fitted those lights into the side walls :)

jamin620

L1: Registered
Jan 30, 2008
you know, this looks really good, but I have one complaint: Im not sure you need this much complexity in brush work. that said, it still looks good so far

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Oh!. I went around as a heavy for a second and thought how cool it would be if all the glass was func_breakable? yay/nah?

This did not work as i wanted it to, was a quick test. Didn't fit well with the feel of the map and seemed to "cheese" so its a big nay.

you know, this looks really good, but I have one complaint: I'm not sure you need this much complexity in brush work.

I agree Jamin. I kinda want to make something that im proud of, and something that someone else may look at and go "you can do that in hammer".. maybe it will stop some people from releasing alpha maps and want to aim a bit higher. Like the forest map for HL:2 =) but im no were near that lvl yet.

Update to my map, it now has CP's that will unlock the forward spawn *seen in the picture*

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Wooow man this look awesome! even for orange so far=)
Don't make it breakable since everybody would just shoot the glass in the beginning and it would be annoying.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
^^ hop in steam chat some time =p Have been doing quicks of it with Roden and trackhed. Getting some great ideas, already a bunch of changes.

Heh q3a type-ish. if other people remember one how architectural that was.