[WIP] space something or another.

kimangroo

L3: Member
Mar 15, 2008
But what's different about your water setup compared to standard water setups like 2fort? I've been messing about with water a bit and want to use it in my map so I'm interested in exactly what kind of problems I might come across.

Do you have moving water, or water with different levels? Water in a glass tank shouldn't be any different to normal water... If you're using func_water_analog to get moving water you need to use it with either nature/water_dx70 or nature/water_movingplane textures, no other ones work. Unfortunately that means you don't get any cool underwater warping or fogging effects but you can still see out of the water.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
2fort doesnt have you view water from more then 1 side. *the top*

If you are using regular water with nodraw, it will create a graphic *glitch* or sorts when viewed from outside/under or even above because water cant have more then 1 side to it.

Using water_analog at least allows me to have people see the 5 sided water, however you can not see from the bottom floor, to the top of the biodome, the water is a solid color from below. From the top however its transparent.

kimangroo

Mar 15, 2008
thanks DJ, I think I get what you're saying now... but not quite!

Please don't bite my head off for being slow, but why do you need to apply the water texture to more than the top side? If you have people viewing the water from the side through glass walls, well there shouldn't be any funky reflections or underwater warp effect anyway (think of aquariums).

I'm doing exactly that in my map and the only problem I've got is that the two cheap textures that you're supposed to use with water_analog don't have any fogging or nice blue watery color. Just the underwater sounds, the bubbles and the sediment-like particle effect. Viewed from outside the glass walls it looks a little like they're flying. So to get around that I've faked it by adding a one unit thin layer of blue tinted color glass to the sides of the tank. Once I've finished the map I plan on making a simple custom texture to give it a more watery feel.

I haven't added lighting, cubemaps or anything special so I don't know if this way of doing things will have problems, but from my test compiles it looks fine as far as I can remember.

Apologies if I'm completely missing the point!

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
From what I am getting, couldnt you just tint the glass to appear to be water colored?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
update? wow been a bit

no screenshots as the stuff im doing is small tweaking.

1. I finally fixed my elevator in the way or call triggers and doors and elevator waiting on each floor.
2. I cut a hole out of the floor corner in the biodome. This is to allow players to drop down to prevent elevator camping.
3. Added back in the old "break glass to capture" and enable forward spawn
4. Fiddling with the damn bio-dome glass textures to make them not look..well awful. urgh pain in the butt.
5. Made my water how i wanted... kinda. It lacks the realistic look however it does exactly what i needed it to do so ill take the trade off =)

Request?

I feel horrible for asking but i tried the tutorial "how to convert .vmf to .mdl" and couldnt seem to do it right.

The attached file is the "beam" in my map. there are roughly 12 or so in my map. Having been told making those to .mdl's will help a ton im asking for some help. The beam prefab is the attachement. There are no custom textures just the stock ones in TF2. Anyone willing to take a shot and convert it into a model thanks a ton.

Last edited:

kimangroo

Mar 15, 2008
Request?

I feel horrible for asking but i tried the tutorial "how to convert .vmf to .mdl" and couldnt seem to do it right.

The attached file is the "beam" in my map. there are roughly 12 or so in my map. Having been told making those to .mdl's will help a ton im asking for some help. The beam prefab is the attachement. There are no custom textures just the stock ones in TF2. Anyone willing to take a shot and convert it into a model thanks a ton.

I'm trying to learn how to do exactly that because of the same crappy MAX BRUSH SIDE NUMBER error. Not having much success compiling though. If anyone does take DJive up on his request, it would be great if they could post a quick walk through of the steps taken here as well!

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
Bump? Just thought of this map today and I was wondering how it was going? If it was going?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
='(

is all i gotta say hah.

lost in the mapping halls, nothing but a pretty little picture.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
aww =(

Its just point and case mapping without a point. Providing i had a plan from the start awesome.. but i sadly didn't =(

Maybe now with arena *being pretty much a DM.. i don't see the different* i can somehow make it into an arena map and revive the dead. who knows =)

Thanks for the interest all, i didnt delete the file when i restored so i can pick it back up.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Sure, Arena mode gives a whole new opportunity for those no attack/defense maps. Deathmatch lets mappers with little constraints :)

Memento Mori

L2: Junior Member
Mar 25, 2008
This would definately make a great arena map. To be honest I think the textures looked really nice, kind of TFC style, but they fitted the moon base theme really well. Arena maps also don't need as much RED/BLU side texturing so I think you could stick with what you have and it would be fine. There would probably be modellers willing to help you cut down on the brush limit too.

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
any updates?
And no, dont make it a arena map, please, please!

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
any updates?
And no, dont make it a arena map, please, please!

Pay no attention to the Lolz behind the curtain.

Getting this awesome bit of brushwork in ANY playable format is cool by me. Arena rocks! :thumbup:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
ah !@#$ !

Velvet....... any chance you have that model you made me? I opened my map file today and noticed a ton of "error" all over the place realized it was that beam you sent me i forgot to carry over =((((

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Make it anything, I just want to see this released or something :(