Control Point Mini Contest voting thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Fantastic number of entries this time! 33 is masses, great stuff! :)

attachment.php

How it works:You download all of the entries in the packs provided below, load up TF2 and use "map cpoint" in the console and you'll get a drop down list of everyone's entries. Simply load them all up in tern.
Everyone gets five votes. You may award 1-5 points to each of your top five. Here is my example: please use it
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_jack
4 | cpoint_mick
3 | cpoint_ym
2 | cpoint_icarus1
1 | cpoint_icarus2
Here's how to format that, copy paste the below
[noparse]
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_jack
4 | cpoint_mick
3 | cpoint_ym
2 | cpoint_icarus1
1 | cpoint_icarus2
[/noparse]
On January the 1st (same time as the contest deadline, 20:00 GMT) voting will close and I'll have all the votes counted up and announced later that day...Along with another interesting announcement that you should watch for. We will be starting our next major contest on Jan 1st. So if you're considering starting a new map before then, hold off for a few days to see what we've got planned. (Don't try and get a head start, it won't be alowed)

Downloads:
7z pack (110MB) Here

Zip mirror (170MB) Here

Unfortunately there were two entries that didn't quite make it. Octoplasma's entry gave me a 403 error, even with a PM sent to them well in advance of the end, the link is still a 403. Absurditof's also can't be allowed for voting since he only submitted a .vmf and not a .bsp.

Last edited by a moderator:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
no no, you can only give 1-5 once.

5 points for the best, 4 for the next one etc etc. you can't give the same number twice.

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | cp_icarus1
4 | cpoint_menderza
3 | cpoint_eerieone
2 | cpoint_grazr
1 | cpoint_ym

i hope it's ok to post some thoughts after the voting. if not i'll just post it in the other thread ^^

right when i saw icarus screenshot, i know "damn, that was my theme - he just made it 10xbetter" :D
menderza, wow i think your screenshot didn't do your map justice at all. i was so surprise when watching it ingame. i just love the atmosphere - it's just not ma favorite theme atm :/
on eerieone's map i just gotta say, boy i totally like his architectural style in all of his maps. it's just a tad different than anything else but still fits to the tf2-theme. great stuff :)
i think the part on grazr's map where the red walltrim and pillar constructions meet the steeeeeeep rock falldown is a really nice touch. i think that's a really cool idea !
on ym's map i love the high ceiling teamed up with the rock building the boundary - i just love such cave situations in agent settings :D

rest of the guys, you did a great job at finishing your entry too, i just gotta say, i hope you didn't have such a nervewrecking time on submitting phase, like i did :D
great work everyone !

Last edited:

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_icarus2
4 | cpoint_deloras
3 | cpoint_vfig
2 | cpoint_pitto
1 | cpoint_icarus1

Menderza

L1: Registered
Apr 28, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_deloras
4 | cpoint_pitto
3 | cpoint_icarus1
2 | cpoint_void
1 | cpoint_grazr

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_scorpiouprising
4 | cpoint_icarus1
3 | cpoint_eerieone
2 | cpoint_deloras
1 | cpoint_pitto

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_grazr1
4 | cpoint_aly
3 | cpoint_supertoaster
2 | cpoint_eerieone
1 | cpoint_dabeatz

Feb 14, 2008
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_spud1
4 | cpoint_icarus2
3 | cpoint_ym
2 | cpoint_scorpiouprising
1 | cpoint_vfig

I can't believe no one else so far liked Dr. Spud's, it's amazing!

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I voted for the quality and how well-thought out the detail was, not than the size of the rooms. Several entries looked nice, but didn't feel like a Control Point. It is important to keep to the goal of this contest, rather than making a pretty room and sticking a CP model in some random corner.

Points | Entry
5 | spud1
4 | ym
3 | void
2 | vfig
1 | deloras

Overall, great work by everyone. I've never seen so much quality in a mini-contest before.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_vfig
4 | cpoint_spud1
3 | cpoint_acumen
2 | cpoint_void
1 | cpoint_pitto

A few brief comments:

Velvet's use of the texture proxies is stunning. A brilliant result, if only the texture was more static, I found the jerking a little much.

Spud's new creeper models/displacements are great, makes a really nice area.

Acumen's attention to detail was pretty good I espeicially liked his rocks and that creepy window. Not too much detail either.
(forgot to pakrat a few model textures though)

Void's is well executed and clean. I'm not a fan of the fade-to black cop out but I feel the rest of it is sufficiently good for it to not lose out on points. Nice details like the antenna made me smile.

Pitto's I just liked, not sure what element of it made me like it so much. Certainly wasn't the strong vertical element, but the conveyors were great and the style was good.

Honourable mentions:

Icarus' two entries were both stunning, his lighting lacked on his first though it had far too much contrast and combined with the reflections there was a lot of distracting eye candy. A fine example of overdetail.

Deloras' also missed out due to visual clutter and colour saturation, it's very heavily orange and what isn't orange is that murky brown fog.

purequaternion

L3: Member
May 19, 2009
Ok, here's my votes:

Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_Deloras
4 | cpoint_vfig
3 | cpoint_acumen
2 | cpoint_eerieone
1 | cpoint_pitto

Specifics for each map:

Acumen
-Loved the underwater setting. Would love to see a real map done in this style.
-Reminded me of Bioshock (in a good way)
-Soundscapes! Your map above all needed them, bubbles and such.
-Also, some missing model textures or broken cubemaps hurt the overall aesthetic.

Aly
-You nailed the lumber theme.
-Excellent use of verticality.
-Overall well detailed in every spot.

DaBeatz
-Wasn't sure about the snowcave type thing. The rest of the detailing was nice, though.

Eerieone
-Loved the verticality and the mixing of nature/buildings.
-The tower was exactly that, towering...but not too much so. You really nailed this!

Grazr1
-Enjoyed the use of the waterfall inside
-Was amused by the frog down in the pit of death.

Grazr2
-Funny!
-Loved the water. Probably wouldn't work in a game but found it very creative.
-The one downside to the execution is that it really took away from the capture point...putting it in an impossible spot is funny, but I think it should've been more readily visible.

Icarus1
-Wow. Detail everywhere.
-I'm kinda with YM on this though...there was a bit much, and, honestly, there was a little too much shininess to it.

Icarus2
-I loved the blizzard effects.
-Great detail on the house, though I think it could've used some asymmetry.
-I honestly liked this point better on the whole than your other ;)

Jack
-The inside rock area felt a little...square. Could've used some more variation.
-I really liked the waterfall/stream and the outside area.

Jack_one
-Overall good.
-I felt like the upper walls/ceilings needed some attention or more detail. Like vents and supports and such. (Also, there's some sort of problem with one of the brushes that got vertex edited)

Jazz
-Great overall.
-The "resupply" hallway felt a little bland. Maybe pipes above and below the ceiling/floor?

Martijntje
-Liked the greenery, but could've been blended a little better on the rocks. Felt abrupt in places.

Menderza
-Liked the theme and wood, etc.
-Cubemap issue in the "carpet" room?

Mick
-Honestly I think this is a good start. But it's got a ways to go.

Obso1337
-Snow and water was a nice mix.
-Felt a little square.

Owl1
-Liked the pipes/that area.
-Nice and open but not TOO big.

Owl2
-Overall liked this one more than your other.

Pitto
-Loved the conveyors. Great job overall!

Scorp
-Liked it a lot.

SG1
-Overall good. Maybe a little more in the spawn room (vents, pipes, etc).

SG2
-Also good overall. Same thing as above on the spawn area.
-Liked it a bit more than SG1.

Spud1
-Great overall. Can see it in an actual map.

Stickzero
-Loved the heavy rain.
-Liked the differentiation between Red/Blu...maybe accentuate it a bit more?
-Lights on the central building weren't "attached" to anything.

Supertoaster
-Amusingly absurd (the sandvich).
-I really felt it didn't have _detail_ though, which was the point of the contest...

Tapp
-Eeek! Dev textures! (Though it looks like a bad mirroring job on that part).
-A few of the displacements needed stitching.
-Good verticality, tightness.

TPG
-Liked the rocket on two trains...clever use of those models.
-Good open space.
-Needed, well, more. More something.

VFIG
-OMG. SPACE! Awesome idea, and fantastic job getting the Earth in there.
-Loved those oddly placed computers (artificial gravity plating FTW!)
-I'd REALLY love to see this space stuff taken further.

Void
-Loved it.
-Great curves.
-Can you cook and do laundry? :eek:hmy:

Wiggler
-It was really a bit too big and bland. More work and it'll pay off!

YM
-Fantastic, as I've come to expect from things that have your name on them.
-Definitely needed soundscapes.
-Maybe a little more detail connecting the central cap point to the rest? (like pipes/wires under that grating)

OVERALL LESSONS
-I'm guilty of this too, but I think soundscapes were more important than many of us thought. (I judged accordingly)
-While some entries were visually amazing, I really wanted to reward Acumen and VFIG for being off the beaten path in terms of visual style.
-I've learned TONS from seeing all the entries.
-I realize a lot of my criticisms apply very much to my own entry. So don't think I'm being hypocritical!
-Thanks everyone for their entries.

Last edited:

Pc_Madness

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 31, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | Deloras
4 | icarius1
3 | eerieone
2 | spud1
1 | icarius2

I loved Deloras' map, abit cramped though. :) Hopefully you turn it into a proper map. :D It actually makes me want to have a go at mapping. :p

Last edited:

Pseudo

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 26, 2008
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_spud1
4 | cpoint_scorpiouprising
3 | cpoint_vfig
2 | cpoint_martijntjep
1 | cpoint_pitto

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
Awesome contest, once again. :D

I so wish I had more free time this past semester! /cry

Anyway:

Points | Entry | Thoughts
5 | cpoint_pitto | I LOVE what you've done here - great badlands style and what looks like it'd be a very interesting point to play around.
4 | cpoint_icarus1 | Drop dead gorgeous. Makes me sad inside when I think about all the time I put into my (unfinished) submission and how much better this looks
3 | cpoint_spud1 | Very interesting theme - grassy! Without being alpine. Again, looks like interesting combat space.
2 | cpoint_ym | Amazing, awesome looking final assault area (in Blue!).
1 | cpoint_eerieone | Oh so very sexy. I love the industrial building rising into the sky above the gorge. Hot damn.

Very honorable mentions to Acumen, Deloras and Void (sweet architecture, you three!) as well as ScorpionUprising (sweet spytech!) and lastly vfig's space station (which apart from their getting stuck in spawn corner periodically and being able to snipe each other's spawn rooms is a fully bot-functional Koth map!).

Great work all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.