OrangeBrush - tool for building orange maps for Source Engine

ALPINE

L1: Registered
Jan 19, 2010
Hello.

A long time ago I've created a program that can build orange maps (VMF) according to SVG figure. Maybe it can be useful for someone. I've just translated it to English language.

Tool is free and it's working on-line: http://orangebrush.romanshuvalov.com/ <-- note, URL is changed

(update: "Orange map" I mean "map under development" without any decorations, etc - see "Raising the bar")

Screenshots:

0_1ed9d_68b7a4f5_XL

0_1ed19_1660db8d_XL

0_1ed9b_6ca9591_XL

Last edited:

StickZer0

&#128153;&#128153;&#128131;&#128153;&#128153;
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I'm torn between wanting to kill you for crimes against humanity for making a program that create orange maps, and wanting to praise you for creating a very interesting tool.
Make it so it isn't aimed towards making orange maps but still devs them out in orange, and you have a winner!

ALPINE

Jan 19, 2010
about orange maps: when I tell "Orange map" I mean "map under development" (without any decorations, etc) - see "Raising the bar".

This tool is created only for converting your ideas described in SVG pictures to working maps - for 3D overview and some gameplay test. It's easy to change something in graphic editor (for example, to scale map, move walls, deleting or adding elements) so you can simply balance gameplay using this tool and THEN start to make decorations using Hammer.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Interesting idea, but it seems there is still a lot that could be improved on.
The bright yellow makes a brush at the level of the dark yellow too, or is the svg layered and there is actually dark yellow there?
Also the second example is, well... horrible. It puts those brushes together worse than the most inexperienced mapper ever would.

ALPINE

Jan 19, 2010
orange maps = maps with orange dev textures
Yes, I mean this.

but it seems there is still a lot that could be improved on.
Of course but I'm not sure that I will work on this tool.

Purpose of this tool - get template of map from vector sketch.

You get the idea. You quickly draw it. You get VMF. You can fix some things in sketch and instantly watch result in VMF. Then you can continue working in Hammer...

Easy and effective.

P.S. I've just found some little bug and fix it. If someone tried to use tool and got message "wrong format" - you can try now. Sorry :)

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
So is the height level decided by colour or...?

ratclaw

L2: Junior Member
Feb 2, 2009
Hmmm, this looks interesting. I'm going to check this out when the weekend comes around.

Feb 14, 2008
I've also got a tool for this and it's called Hammer :D - which I'd personally find easier than building the thing in 2D.

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
:cursing::carve::carve::carve::carve::cursing:
I was also working on a tool like this

Maybe I should still finish it:

It allows multi user sketch creation, and making actual rooms, not just blocks, and probably faster then doing that in hammer.

ALPINE

Jan 19, 2010
Zeewier
Cool, of course, do it. I have absolutely no plans to work on my tool.

P.S. It's strange... MIME type of some SVG files is "text/plain" instead of "image/svg" or "text/xml". I've done some changes in code, and now "text/plain" MIME type is also accept. If anyone had problems with some SVG files - now all your files will be parsed successfully.