Abyss

zornor

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 14, 2009
This map will be a pl_goldrush style map, except with some abysses to fall down and die a painful death in! Also featuring some custom rail pieces and a drill prop at the very end, and a custom skybox.

Currently WIP, 1st stage only.

EDIT: 30/01/10 Alpha1 Screenshots added, new YouTube video soon NOW!

Youtube: alpha1 walkthrough video
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuikNedjdzw"]YouTube- pl abyss a1 walkthrough (TF2 Custom Map)[/ame]

Youtube: Old pre-alpha flythrough video
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9Vx-O748s"]YouTube- pl_abyss pre-alpha flythrough (TF2 custom map)[/ame]

Last edited:

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
actually looks pretty good - my only concern is the length of the first stage

zornor

Jan 14, 2009
Too short or too long? I feel it's about right, maybe a bit longer than Goldrush Stage 1

EDIT: I've actually decided to remake stage 1 due to it being the worst optimisation in the universe ever, and difficult to work with. Based on how people feel about the length of it I may also make it from the video shorter/longer.

Last edited:

Firest0rm

Sep 27, 2009
the style looks nice, blu seems to be similar to 2fort style, and i like 2fort style. However, you made the mistake of treating red geometry like blu geometry. A red building that's a cube dosen't make sense, just look at 2fort and at this to understand

zornor

Jan 14, 2009
That's not the criticism i was looking for, since the geometry/detailing is still very basic. I already understand the styles of TF2. Thanks anyway.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
The lighting doesn't seem to match the skybox. It's pretty nitpicky, but you should have a firm grasp on your lighting style before any major release.

zornor

Jan 14, 2009
Any opinions on the length of the first stage from the video? or anything else? I'm remaking it as I type this and it'd be good to know.

Aug 10, 2009
From the beginning of the flythrough the map looks a bit open and blocky, I don't know what is going to happen with those low roofs it they aren't clipped, which could be confusing. Also, in addition to the lighting not matching the skybox, I'd brighten up the indoor lighting and add a bit more white to it, at least for that 'dark room' in stage 1. On the light_env note, please brighten it/make it more angled, the lighting was pretty flat.

zornor

Jan 14, 2009
Pakratted .bsp version uploaded. Playable version of the revamped first stage, with better lighting and layout. This also makes the screenshots very outdated... enjoy :D

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
This map is completely and utterly Abyssmal.

Sorry, now that's out the way, it looks pretty cool, but it is very open and has little cover form what i've seen. I'll give you some proper feedback tomorrow though :)

zornor

Jan 14, 2009
This map is completely and utterly Abyssmal.
D:
Sorry, now that's out the way, it looks pretty cool, but it is very open and has little cover form what i've seen. I'll give you some proper feedback tomorrow though :)
:D

I think the amount of cover is fine, except for maybe the very start and very end. 'Proper feedback' appreciated!

zornor

Jan 14, 2009
So, how about those 6 month later updates.

I've actually been doing pl_abyss_a2 for a bit, with some feedback from the stv demos which I may or may not have followed properly.

However, I made this on an unrelated offshoot and thought, well...

greatidea.jpg

At least the Steam group chat (nb: 3 people) thought it was good. It could work in the map I guess.

Last edited: