[BETA]Dom_Complex

TheBladeRoden

L420: High Member
Oct 26, 2007
[BETA]Dom_Complex [updated 2/10/08]

Go to http://tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=24 for download and lastest update info!

--

Alright, I'm finally able to make a thread on here. This map is a port of my unfinished HL2DM map which is in turn a port of a Perfect Dark map which is in turn a port of a Goldeneye map.

It's kind of half CP and half Battlefield type gameplay. Er, I'll refer you to the readme.

Objective:
Capture Control Points to gain more spawn locations for your team and in turn rid the enemy of theirs. First team to control all 7 Control Points wins!

Secondary Objective:
Holding Control Points over time adds to the Domination Score of your team. First team to 100% Domination wins!

Well, since is a beta, let's post the issues.

Issues I know about:
-Yeah, textures and lighting and all sorts of decorations are not done yet.
-No health or ammo items.
-Cubemaps may or may not be functioning.
-Optimization. yup, no hint brushes yet.

Issues that need testing:
-Size matters: Even after scaling from its HL2DM form by 140% it's still only the size of half of 2fort. That and a lot of the rooms are connected by narrow hallways, so it could become cramped, so testing on these factors will be needed.

-Time matters: Until I can start testing this, it's tough to tell if the timing of the CP captures and the round length will need tweaking. CP's bring in 0.5 points every 5 seconds. So a team holding 4 points the entire match will get to 100% domination in 4:10 minutes. It may need slowing down.

-Mobility matters: I was trying to balance the right height for the railings in this map, since in the console games you'd always have to walk around them, but in TF2 people don't take kindly to those hinderances. So I made them jumpoverable here, we'll have to see what that does to the gameplay. Also, I've been putting up noclips everywhere to prevent escaping soldiers and demomen, so I'll need people to test that.

So yeah, here's some screens anyway.

complexpromo1.jpg

complexpromo2.jpg

complexpromo3.jpg

This one has the CP layout as you can see.

Download Link is:
http://tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=24

You can also find it in rotation on my server at:
75.134.31.20:27015

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2007
I did a quick tryout. Interesting map. I like the score system you setup, and the gauges you have at the two base CPs.

During my quick test, I noticed that if one team owns no CPs, the players spawn in a room without any exits. Do you have spawn points near all the CPs, so when your primary CP is taken you can spawn at another CP? If your team captures a CP, while you are in the jail room, how do you leave (suicide)?

Some parts of the map could use being a bit bigger, but it is a good start. Good luck with it.

TheBladeRoden

Oct 26, 2007
I did a quick tryout. Interesting map. I like the score system you setup, and the gauges you have at the two base CPs.

During my quick test, I noticed that if one team owns no CPs, the players spawn in a room without any exits. Do you have spawn points near all the CPs, so when your primary CP is taken you can spawn at another CP? If your team captures a CP, while you are in the jail room, how do you leave (suicide)?

Some parts of the map could use being a bit bigger, but it is a good start. Good luck with it.

I've been trying to figure out some solutions for what happens if a team loses all their spawns (which are tied to CP's) before the game ends.

1.By default when Blu (for example purposes) runs out of of active spawns, the game will have them spawn at ones owned by red. I guess this would motivate Red to take all the neutrals before going after Blue's last point, lest they get a flood of Blu behind their front lines, but it could be an annoyance.

2.Once Blu runs out of spawns, you'd best cap another one before you die, or else wait until someone else on your team fares better. Though then, suicide is the only way back out of jail. I think if it's possible, I can use a combination of proxy triggers and team filters to detect when no Blu players are left alive in the main arena, and then end the game swiftly, rather than wait until Red effortly caps the last point, or instead decides to be griefy and fart around until time runs out.

3.Make it so a team never loses their starting spawns. It's an easy solution, but I'm not particularly fond of it since it makes the map less freeform and fluid than what I was going for.

Oct 25, 2007
I've been trying to figure out some solutions for what happens if a team loses all their spawns (which are tied to CP's) before the game ends.

1.By default when Blu (for example purposes) runs out of of active spawns, the game will have them spawn at ones owned by red. I guess this would motivate Red to take all the neutrals before going after Blue's last point, lest they get a flood of Blu behind their front lines, but it could be an annoyance.

2.Once Blu runs out of spawns, you'd best cap another one before you die, or else wait until someone else on your team fares better. Though then, suicide is the only way back out of jail. I think if it's possible, I can use a combination of proxy triggers and team filters to detect when no Blu players are left alive in the main arena, and then end the game swiftly, rather than wait until Red effortly caps the last point, or instead decides to be griefy and fart around until time runs out.

3.Make it so a team never loses their starting spawns. It's an easy solution, but I'm not particularly fond of it since it makes the map less freeform and fluid than what I was going for.

I do like the jail idea. One thing you could do is add a trigger_teleport for every CP in the jail room. Since you have 5 neutral, you'd need to create 10 trigger_teleports (since each will have a team filter). They each get enabled if you own the CP and get disabled if you don't own the CP.

So, if your team doesn't own any CPs, your stuck in jail until someone captures a CP.

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
Another solution would be just be to have one definate spawn point for each team (maybe far away from any CPs)

K

killanator

ok, i havent tried this yet but i'll look around it a little later. my favorite goldeneye map ever!!! i loved this map back in those days

sounds like 4 minutes is a little to fast, the team should have enough time for 3-5 attempts at a cp before they have no hopes of winning. but again, timing on this map will come with some good playtesting.

about the railings, maybe you should make it so the only way to get over them is to double jump, sticky jump, or rocket jump? just a thought

K

killanator

add it to the server!!!

o speakin of the server why did it change names????

hacky

L2: Junior Member
Dec 13, 2007
- It is very easy to grenade/rocket jump out of the map over the fence at blue spawn. Player clip brushes over the fences are an easy solution.
- The hallways are extremely cramped, and they're only one player wide. The height of the map is close to ideal TF2 scale though. For this, the only thing I can really suggest is to double the map size on the X-Y plane. This would allow for more open gameplay, and give you more room for the actual CP props. I can't see any place where a sniper would be useful as, and the thinness of the hallways impedes normal movement as is.
- The CP prop in the "V" catwalk room is floating in the middle of the water. If you can, either lower it to the water's floor or put a platform or something beneath it.
- The team indicator on the "blue lighted ramp" CP clips though the ceiling.
- The crates at the CP with pipes underneath the grate look weird in TF2 style.

Other than that, keep at it! What it boils down to for the size issue is that you're taking a map designed for 4 people, and are about to apply it to a 24+ player game. The score aspect is pretty interesting as well, once you iron out the gameplay the way you want it we'll see how it holds up in playtest.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
WOOOOOOOOOT because of this layout i want to play the map. Looks very interesting!!!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Great map, played two rounds on it today

Lighting needs to be more even.
The CP in the water is 'floating' on the water, if you get under it you can see upwards through it.
I saw a demoman manage twice to get outside of the map.
It needs to be clear what is going on. we had a full server with people running around going 'WTF WTF WTF' Once we figured it out though we loved it
The passages are too narrow and some don't match up and its easy to get suck in them (not half in the brush but running into a lip that you can't quite see that stops you)
Put a 'domination points' meter at every CP so people know how badly they are being beaten/how well they are doing.
I think the timings are good
Some of the textures aren't very TF2 like.
You need some cameras set up so that when you join or die you don't see areas of the map your shouldn't be able to.

:) look forward to more polished versions

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Apoligies about the double post but I have more to add :)
We have been running dom_complex on our server for a while now and its getting mixed thoughts so we have a thread over at www.coltsplayground.net about it, personally I like it but it's got a lot of people confused. I think that with the new CP symbols (only just got the link working) it will work loads better.
Perhaps if you announced who has the most domination points every minute or mintute and a half that might help clear up confusion in new players.

Here is the link to our thread, newer posts might be added at any time so check it everynow and then.
http://coltsplayground.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=454

TheBladeRoden

Oct 26, 2007
There are messages that say how many points each team has, but it won't work if you have Minimal HUD turned on, from what I hear. So to supplement I am going to put a score meter like this at each CP.

complexscorebar.jpg

I've also scaled the map 1.5 times, I think the main rooms will play well enough, but we shall have to see about the hallways/ramps still.

I lowered the cap times somewhat, before you could easily walk across the map to stop someone from capping, so these last two things should alter that.

Also, the current release has a broken jail system, so I fixed that.

I've also better playerclipped the map.

Things to do before next release:
Fix decorations broken by the size scaling + adding the some more visuals. This includes putting in more directions signs, even though the original spirit of the map was for it to be confusing, I'd suppose. ^.^

Fixing the indoor lighting. I'm suprised people are still trying to play the current build of the level, actually :D

So yeah, theres my progress report.