Europa

surgeon

L1: Registered
Apr 5, 2010
this is my first tf2 map, i started a map with a similar theme a while ago but never got past blocking out the middle. it's set on europa (i don't know why, there's not much reason for the teams to be there besides to mine ice, but it's something different) and it's a regular CTF map, but with more routes into the intelligence. the overview looks complicated but it's fairly simple - there's a big central area with two levels, and the spawns and intel both have 2 routes, one to the upper level, one to the bottom.

i've only spent about 6 hours on this so far to get the layout planned and blocked out, but it's designed with all the classes in mind and to try to avoid stalemates. i need to sort out all the gameplay entities, but i should have a download link some time tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
looks good! love the space theme...needs more stuff though to make it interesting..

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
You'll go far, son.

To the moon.

Just... seal up that skylight.

surgeon

Apr 5, 2010
You'll go far, son.

To the moon.

Just... seal up that skylight.

this map is basically an evolution of the other map i started, which was based on total recall, and had the same hole in the ceiling. if you rocket jumped, airblasted etc into the middle you got sucked out and then exploded. i haven't included that yet and might not at all, but the idea would be that they're turning the water under the crust into oxygen and somehow a big hole in the ceiling is important in the process.

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
That is actually a very cool idea. The map looks very nice, put it up for gameday so we can try it out!

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
From the screenshots it looks like there might be too many narrow pathways and not enough open fightin' area, but obviously I haven't played it yet, so I can't tell for certain. It does seem like that ledge in the first pic might need some stairs or a playerclip so players won't have to jump up it to reach the doorway, though.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
I don't like the fog.

Other than that, wow.

surgeon

Apr 5, 2010
updated with a link, this is only one day's work so if there are any problems they hopefully wont be hard to fix.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Well.

I'm intrigued. I'll offer any texture work you may need.

Aug 10, 2009
The thing about space is-- it's bland, in fact it's very very bland. Asteroids are grey, moons are grey space is black and stars are white. The fog in the level enhances this and while giving it a theme of desolation I think giving the map a hint of clarity and cleanliness could be very effective. Making sure it's well lit and easy to see through will go a long way aesthetically with helping this.

EDIT: Upon further inspection I came to a small conclusion that the gameplay around mid will end up very channeled. I mean this in the sense that from the screenshots provided, there are only 4 specific places in which the teams could meet. Personally, I value combat that isn't chokey, especially in a mid. So I propose that you seal up the floor on the bottom level, with glass or something, so that there can be open combat there allowing for the mid to act as a combat hub, so that the combat isn't squeezed out into adjacent hallways.

Last edited:

surgeon

Apr 5, 2010
It's all indoors so I don't think the blandness of space would be much of a problem, you can see out some windows to the side and there will be mountains and other buildings out there. Inside, I'm using Moon (the Sam Rockwell movie) as a reference for some of the areas, especially the spawns and smaller tunnels so it should look more unique. It also gave me the idea to use different coloured lights (yellow/orange and blue) to define each team's side instead of relying entirely on textures:

moonmoviecontrolunit.jpg

I thought there would be one main chokepoint - the room next to the intelligence. The upper and lower routes both meet in there so it's a good place for a sentry, and also the spawn exit into the top level which is a good back route into the intel, although you have to pass the spawns to get there. Depending how it plays though, I might add an X shaped catwalk across the middle.

Sep 12, 2008
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude D:
Maybe make the team's side a bit more obvious with coloured textures?

surgeon

Apr 5, 2010
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude D:
Maybe make the team's side a bit more obvious with coloured textures?

I've got 2 sets of textures, these screens are the red spawn which uses yellowish/tan colours and lights, the blue side is really light blue, but I do need to work some more obvious colours in.

I do not believe this statement.

I've been mapping for years but on the few times I tried mapping for TF2 I couldn't get the scale or style right. I'm getting bored of my other maps though so I'm taking a break to do this before going back to them.