My contest contender: cp_spywinder

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
There is still a lot of work to be done on optimizing the map. On 24 players only 3 find it playable, i personnaly had 20-25 fps on E6850+8800gts640. It's a shame since the map is so beautiful.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah, that new build definitely helped with the frame-rate. Since that's fixed, I'm in the process of sticking it on my server for some play-testing.

EDIT: Okay, noticed a broken texture... or at least, that's what I guess it is. If you go up to that wheel under the "maintenance" sign under the center point and face it, the world goes all wonky until you move.

Last edited:

Koei

Feb 23, 2008
I saw some odd textures, but I think you are aware of that. The map really needs to be optimized. I switched to another map after 10 minutes. I was running at 50fps on my 8800GTX. My mate made the comment that he would take some screenshots and print those. If he'd watch his printer spit out the papers his framerate would be higher :p.

Earl

Dec 21, 2007
I ran around this map. I like it, and will recommend it for my clan's server, when its moe optimized.

55-90 FPS with an 8800GTS... this map will kill anything older. I shoot for 120+ when I map.

Here's my advice for optimization:

1. Add fade distances to all models.
2. Use nodraw on faces that cant be seen from the playable area. Especially in the large area behind the glass doors.

Some areas seemed too bright, especially the areas around the 1st and 3rd cap areas. Might want to tone down the lighting a bit.

Koei

Feb 23, 2008
There are doors that open during setup. I think those walls don't block visabilty, because my fps dropped when I looked at them. Have to check that with sv_cheats though :)

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
*Sigh* Yes the optimization never ends. Actually if you look at +showbudget a lot of the lag's coming from swap buffers. I'm removing some of the less important steam effects and adding occluders for this build. The occluders should help to remove the extreme cviewrender::render times. I have nearly everything's fade distance set but I will add even more. Also I will be removing the occasional detail prop to help with that. I totally forgot to nodraw the offlimit area, thank you for reminding me Earl. Any chance you can elaborate on exactly which areas of the cap areas are too bright? For example, do you mean the large array of lights above the semicircle edge of the pool? And Koei, do you mean those doors don't block visibility? I'm not sure they should as they're gone for the rest of the match. Brush entities can't block visibility. Is there another wall you mean?

Thank you for your input on optimization, but at this point I'm really looking for more input on gameplay. Perhaps this is not as testable as it should be at the moment due to fps issues, but could you guys give me some feedback in terms of class balance, cap time, etc?

Last edited:

Koei

Feb 23, 2008
Next to the small door that opens after setup time there is a wall If I looked at that one my fps dropped to 50-55. If I looked at the outside wall (of the level) I had 120fps. So it must be rendering something. It's a route people could take after setup time, so might be nice to look at.

Gameplaywise people had complaints there had no idea where to go, the caps were hard to find and placed a bit odd . It was a bit confusing with all the twists and turns. I know that's kind of the concept, but you might want to take a look at that.

MacNetron

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
Had a run on it this week. It was eating my fps, but reading through the pages on this thread, I think it was an older version. Still, there aren't much maps which reduce my 8800GTX to 30-40 fps :)

Nice map, but to me it is too crowded with objects and different styles. There is a place on top a ramp when suddenly you run into a wooden wall. That doesn't really fit the theme of the map.
The spawnroom with the view across the water is very nice! It's my favorite spawnroom now :)

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Good news on the fps issue, it rises with each update. I'll have a much different version posted later tonight. Thanks for the compliment on the spawnroom!

Speaking about the wooden wall, do you mean the walls near the middle spawn room? I tried to do something different with the mining & industrial theme that the contest requires by making it look like a mine is being built over into an industrial area. I've added some more detail to support this in tonight's build but I guess I'm still not coming through with that idea. Any suggestions that would have helped you understand what's going on with that sort of thing? I was thinking custom overlays or something.

RogueNZ

L1: Registered
Mar 18, 2008
Its incredible the amount of detail you have put into this, it looks awesome. My fps would range from 30 in some places (mainly near water) to 60 in others, thats with an 8500gt. One glitch i found was if you walk up to the sign that says maintanence, just under the center control point i think, everything goes blurry and white and stuff. Great job though.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
UPDATED:
-FPS issues resolved.
Specs: Running full settings (and I do mean full) at 1920 resolution w/ vsync enabled I never drop below 59 FPS. 8800gtx. Also tested on an 8500 gt and got around the same with lower settings.
-Graphical changes made all around.
-New way for Scouts to get to the last caps.
-Doorspeed increased for water exits.
-Cubemap issues resolved.

The link:
cp_spywinder_optim

This will be the version I'd like to be shown this gameweekend.

cpspywinderoptim0002lp6.jpg

cpspywinderoptim0006et5.jpg

cpspywinderoptim0002lp6.jpg

cpspywinderoptim0008ko3.jpg

cpspywinderoptim0000ja0.jpg

cpspywinderoptim0005vt7.jpg

Enjoy, feedback welcome as always.

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
Others may complain about the red lights, but I think it makes that part look SO damned cool!

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Now water looks so much better =)

kimangroo

L3: Member
Mar 15, 2008
I'd like to have a look at your map but I've got a crappy internet connection and it's so slow today it's going to take almost an hour to download it! :(

It might be an idea to compress the file for poor sods like me.

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
Playing this yesterday I'd say it's a real sucess of a map. It looks absolutely stunning and I had no FPS problems - ran smoothly. Hard to fault :cool: Adding to Playground Rotation for this week so I can give propper gameplay feedback as 30 minutes was just a taster :D . Nice one!