Mistakes I've Made: Learning to Texture

Geuel

L1: Registered
Feb 28, 2008
A list of mistakes I've made, and the way to avoid making the same mistake.

Feel free to share your own mistakes.

1) Not using all TF2 textures
When choosing a texture, enter "tf" under "Keywords."

2) Texturing the entire brush / Texturing things that won't be seen
Texture the entire brush with "No Draw." Then bring up the Texture tool, select your texture and Right-Click to apply that texture to a single face of the brush.

3) Using "model textures" on brushes. / Why does my floor glow?
Don't use any textures that start with "model/" or "prop/"

4) Texturing multiple brushes that make up one wall-face separately.
When you have more than one brush that make a consistent wall, you can treat them as one face when texturing.

Clicking on the "Texture" tool will open the "Face Edit Sheet" window. Left click on one brush to select it. Hold Ctrl and to select additional brushes that make up that wall. Click on "Treat as one" in the Face Edit Sheet window and then Right-Click to apply the texture.

Last edited:

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I did all of those things when I first started :) Do not use the carve tool, except when making cubes or square shapes. Your grid will get smaller the further into the map you are, so start w/ 32 or 64 units.

Pseudo

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 26, 2008
ALT+Rightclick on a face will apply the texture from the selected face to the target, treating the faces as one. Shift+Leftclick will select the entire brush. Shift+Rightclick will apply a texture to an entire brush.

Fyfey

L2: Junior Member
Jan 24, 2008
I didn't realise there were so many hidden key combinations when I started using hammer...

So in the face edit sheet...

Shift+RMB Textures the whole brush
Alt+RMB Textures the face treating it as one with the one selected
Ctl+RMB Copies the texture from the selected face?

are there any more?

Also... the textures with a red/blue bottom half, and concrete top half; when using with the corresponding whole concrete texture (to put above if using a large wall) is there a way of easily aligning the textures nicely? It's more obvious when using the concrete block red/blue textures.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
valve use some HL2 textures when mapping TF2 so saying limit yourself to TF2 textures is not a good idea. You just have to be selective and decide what fits with the style of TF2.

Skwii

Mar 16, 2008
Do they? I don't think so...

Never seen hl2 textures in tf2 official maps (Is it just me?). Of course hl2 textures can be found in some custom maps, but I think there was a part in tf2's official mapdevelopment wiki that mixing content with other games will not have good results since, for example the ones who do not own hl2 will not see those textures and only have errors around the map. Some do not want hl2. They want only tf and we should make the maps tf -ish. Of course (totally) custom content in that matter is a different and a refreshing thing :)

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
What about texturing at angles? For example, I have a metal beam that angles and when I apply a "metal beam" texture (like the one that has rivots) it doesn't line up right. I try and rotate it and it comes close but one side will be off slightly. I know it can be done, I have seen other beams with same textures at angles and those match up just right.

Backslash

May 10, 2008
...since, for example the ones who do not own hl2 will not see those textures and only have errors around the map. Some do not want hl2...

From what I understand about the SDK, HL2 content(textures, props, etc.) is included with the core source games, which includes TF2. You just run into problems when using content from other core games. eg. DOD models in TF2. Just my understanding...

-Backslash