CP artpass_bench

bench

L1: Registered
Jul 17, 2010
Hello everyone!

I'm kinda new here, and I'm also new to mapping. I'm trying to give a nighttime hightower feeling to the map. I'm probably not going to win because I saw some very nice entries already, but I'll give it a try.

DAY 1.
I started working on Control Point B.​

artpassbench0004.jpg

artpassbench0005.jpg

artpassbench0006.jpg

artpassbench0007.jpg

artpassbench0008.jpg

Last edited:

what would jesus do?

Mar 24, 2008
Make sure you're lighting isn't too dark. Add Spotlights or Floodlights to the outside of areas, make sure it's as lighted as for ex. Pipeline or Doublecross, even though its nighttime you always want players to identify enemies and the geometry.

Making lighting brighter also helps with making things more interesting, generally you always want to have players looking at the outside expanse of maps, and if everythings dark you won't be able to!

You did well for being new at mapping though!

bench

Jul 17, 2010
I think I'm going to post pictures daily, Day 1 is out now.

Note: It isn't THAT dark in-game, you can see everything fine.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
it isn't too dark, but it wouldn't hurt to increase spotlight's intensity by a good one to two hundred. normal lights by 50 to 100. slightly tweaking the environment's ambient light colour and value couldn't hurt either. :)

Looks good so far.

Da_Man

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 23, 2009
Its very gray, but its looking good so far. I'd switch some of the textures around to put more colors in, but thats my opinion. So of the lighting is a tad dark, but its passable.

E.B.

Mar 15, 2009
Note: It isn't THAT dark in-game, you can see everything fine.[/QUOTE]

Are you testing that with bots placed? Being able to see the details is good but what you really need to clearly see is:
1) players
2) team colors
3) class silhouettes

So if you haven't, try placing some spawn points around in the open, spawning bots in the compiled map, and looking at them. If it's not instantly obvious exactly who a character is, you'll need more light.

Also you can tweak the ambient outdoor light with a light_environment entity (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Light_environment). That's like the only mapping trick I know, and I say it a lot, but give it a spin if you want to keep the "dark" look with sparsely placed bright lights while not ruining gameplay.