CP artpass_swordz

Swordz

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 27, 2009
First i'm texturing everything, and will post pics of the process, then i'm going to detail

Theme: Australium Mine. There's references of the loose cannon comic, easter eggs, and an australium mine.

Basically, it's gorge style. (the path for the control point A is made of wood, like they don't know where they are and find hints that the RED is there.

If you're here to see if i did something cool so you can copy, GETOUTAAHERENAO!

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
D:

The checkered ground is an error with that texture, not cubemaps. It has an invalid bumpmap IIRC, and shouldn't be used. The map itself is very dark and the stripe on blue base looks awful.

Urban

aa
Jul 27, 2009
I agree with Nerdboy that the red and blue stripe on the base looks terrible. And also why would RED put a laser on a roof pointing at the cave ceiling?

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
I agree with Nerdboy that the red and blue stripe on the base looks terrible. And also why would RED put a laser on a roof pointing at the cave ceiling?

I've added the laser before changing it to underground.

I know it's dark, i've just started to make the map. Should add lights soon

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
I think i'm surrendering. those displacements are driving me crazy and Psihomir did everything that i planned to do (and better)...

Last edited:

Eyce

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2010
I think i'm surrendering. those displacements are driving me crazy and Psihomir did everything that i planned to do (and better), it's going to look like that i copied him so why try.

Bit of a shit reason.

In a contest where you're detailing a map with hundreds of people entering, with only a few real themes you can go with, there's bound to be somebody doing what you're doing.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be trying to beat them, not give up. :p

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
Bit of a shit reason.

In a contest where you're detailing a map with hundreds of people entering, with only a few real themes you can go with, there's bound to be somebody doing what you're doing.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be trying to beat them, not give up. :p

Btw i can't manage to do a good lighting. I did holes in the cave and put some light_spot there but the lighting looks ugly as hell.

I think i'm going to continue the desert version.

Last edited:

Efhan

L2: Junior Member
Jun 13, 2009
You have a different version of the underground theme, so don't give up. It's only the beginning, anyway.

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
Thanks for the comments, but i'm going to continue my desert version (it looks better in my opinion), since i can't do lighting in the underground version.

going to change the screenshots soon.

psihomir

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 17, 2008
who cares if it looks like you copied him if you make a final version better than him

init2winit

This. I tried to discourage him from stopping in another thread too. Just look at how many people are doing a village/alpine theme yet they're not worried there are others.

Plus I can see even from your early version that it's going to be different - for example you seem to be planning to have C in a cave while mine was going to be in a techy setting, etc. As for the lighting, stick a brush with the skybox texture on top of the hole and put a light_environment somewhere in the map as usual. I added a spotlight for a better effect too (so that it shines a bright spot on the ground), plus a glow so that it's not very clear what's out there.

Efhan

Jun 13, 2009
This. I tried to discourage him from stopping in another thread too. Just look at how many people are doing a village/alpine theme yet they're not worried there are others.

Plus I can see even from your early version that it's going to be different - for example you seem to be planning to have C in a cave while mine was going to be in a techy setting, etc. As for the lighting, stick a brush with the skybox texture on top of the hole and put a light_environment somewhere in the map as usual. I added a spotlight for a better effect too (so that it shines a bright spot on the ground), plus a glow so that it's not very clear what's out there.

I say as Navi: "Listen!"

Don't surrender, we need you, we need Swordz!

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
Updated the screenshots. I have saved both versions, i think i will stick to this until i discover how to make a good lighting in the cave hehe.

Efhan

Jun 13, 2009
I liked the sign.
Yo could make it progress into a cave, you know?

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
I liked the sign.
Yo could make it progress into a cave, you know?

This would be original, i like it.

I was planning in making a mountain in the skybox that would be the Australium mine, but maybe the red base can be it?

Also, the control points says: "#Cave_A", "Cave_B" "#Cave_C"

I think valve was planning in making an underground map.

Last edited:

Efhan

Jun 13, 2009
Yes! I won't have to change my list, and you will get a cool theme. Congratz.

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
Warning: UGLIEST DISPLACEMENTS EVER AHEAD

I think this is going to affect gameplay...

14w3jly.jpg

Efhan

Jun 13, 2009
You mean like, everytime someone goes in there he has to pause for 10 seconds?
(Why? Use your imagination.)

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
You mean like, everytime someone goes in there he has to pause for 10 seconds?
(Why? Use your imagination.)

i mean if someone goes into the player clip thing, he can't just jump back like you could do before, but i know what you're trying to say haha