[TIP] Making Sure Your Map Is Ready To Test!

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
So you've got a map. You're ready to compile. But what do you need to do before you compile to make sure nothing is broken? Here's a handy list of things to doublecheck:​

Spawnrooms
Are there 16 spawn point per spawnroom per team?
Is there a func_respawnroom in the entire spawn area?
Are there any resupply cabinets?
Is there a func_respawnroomvisualizer for each door for each spawn?

Gametype Entities
Are the entities you need for the gamemode placed and set up properly?
Lights
Are there light entities inside of buildings?
Is there a light_environment for outdoor lighting?

Cubemaps
Do you have cubemaps placed 64 units above the ground?
You should have more than one.

Sealed
Turn off all visgroups except for World Geometry, and then turn off displacements and water. Do you have any leaks, or areas that stare into the void?
Optimization
Have you func_detailed stairs and other brushes that stick out?
Have you added hints and areaportals where needed?
Did you nodraw unseen faces?

All Visgroups Checked
Are all visgroups checked off?

Now you've compiled. You're anxious to test, but we wouldn't want to test a broken map. Let's doublecheck and make sure everything compiled correctly, and you didn't make a mistake.​

Compile Log Errors
Are there any errors in the compile log?
Head on over to Interlopers and paste your compile log into their Error Report.

Spawnrooms
Do both teams spawn in their respective spawnrooms?
Can they leave their spawn?
Are they not allowed into the other teams' spawn?
Does the resupply locker work?

Gamemode
Can you cap each point (cp)?
Can you pick up and capture each flag (ctf)?
Does the point unlock when it's supposed to (arena, koth)?

Lights
Is the map lit and not fullbright?
Clipping
Are all places clipped properly?
Don't worry about "clipping with a fine tooth comb" for an alpha. But don't let me out of your map, either.

Cubemaps
Did you build your cubemaps?
From the main menu, open console and type the following: 'mat_specular 0' then 'map <yourmap>' Once it loads, 'buildcubemaps' and then 'disconnect' Then 'mat_specular 1'

Packed
Did you pack any and all custom material into your map?

If you answered 'Yes!' to all of those, you're ready to test! If not, go fix 'em and try again. And remember not to rename the .bsp manually after you compile or build cubemaps! Always rename your .bsp by compiling it as a new name in Hammer. If people are harsh to you for having big errors in your map, just know that if you fix it next time, and truly fix it, they'll give you some good feedback. But don't be mad if we skip the test due to errors.​

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
I disagree on only one point: Clipping. You dont need to go clip with a fine tooth comb for a1.

Oh yes, damn you. I literaly had a list almost identicle to this sitting on my harddrive, ready to post here. Oh well. The only difference was that it was formatted in a way that could be printed out, and check marked next to places that need be.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Needs more mat_reloadallmaterials after mat_specular 1.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure it does what it says, reloads materials after building cubemaps to display reflections properly without restarting TF2. But you might as well omit it, as you've gone without it with no problems.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
That is not something that needs to be done for them to work. It merely reloads everything so you can see them immediately. Once you've done buildcubemaps, they are in the bsp, period.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Assuming you don't rename that. Add that to the list. Don't rename the bsp.