[TOOL] VIDE - Valve Integrated Development Environment

Apr 19, 2009
http://www.riintouge.com/VIDE/

This thing is freaking amazing.

Hammer Splitter Editor
...allows for the changing of Hammer viewport draw distances beyond Hammer's built-in options. It also allows viewport types to easily be changed, and includes the option for the Logical (Entity Flowchart) viewport type not selectable in Hammer.
Mass VMT Editor
...a straight forward tool that allows for the quick editing of VMT files by the thousands. Options include the change of Shaders and the addition and removal of Parameters and Proxies. For any VTF file selected, a skeleton VMT will be created if one doesn't already exist.
Particle Editor
...the most complex tool VIDE has to offer. Allows for the manipulation of PCFs, including quick generation of particle manifests, verification of unique element GUIDs across multiple files, movement of systems between files, and conversion between the three most common PCF formats.
VBSP Editor
...a simple form for structured editing of VBSP files.
VMT Editor
...a simple tool for the interactive construction of VMT files.
BSP Info
...provides more interaction with Valve BSP files. The tool translates the file header into a table of human readable values and allows for the appending, extracting, prepending, and replacing of file lumps.
Entity Lump Editor
...a recreation of Entspy with an improved filter and ability to import from BSP, LMP, and VMF and export as LMP and VMF.
Pakfile Lump Editor
...a recreation of Pakrat with a few improved features, such as more reliable scanning of a wider variety of content, more control over what is scanned for, the editing of ASCII text files from the Pak, extracting the Pak as an uncompressed ZIP, and showing more statistics about the contents of the Pak.

And a video showing how everything works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkOEo0FzfV0

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
I doubt I'll use much on there, but the PAKrat/PackBSP replacement is a definate use, it actualy seems to find all the custom materials but also seemed to want to add a couple of model skins I haven't used :confused:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
@mick: This doesn't make lighting easier. Fog can already be tuned ingame then set how you like in Hammer. Fade distances can be done easier in Hammer because you have the "set to camera" button (plus an -onlyents compile).

Overall this seems like a nice tool, but most of it is either redundant or lacking. In particular I don't see the usefulness in the particle/vbsp editors if you can't see the stuff.

Mass VMT editor looks like the most useful thing to me, even if I wouldn't be using it very often (still more than the rest though).

Oh and not remembering the last used directory = horrible for workflow efficiency. :(

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
If someone sees something they like that I should steal (er, re-implement) for PackBsp let me know and I'll add it to the todo list :p

The video link said:
But it runs on the dot-net framework instead of Java, so it's a lot faster, and it crashes less because Java's very buggy

Wat.

I'm a little annoyed that the guy who seems to have made that video (based on the startup logo) redistributes a ton of other people's projects (including PackBsp and VIDE) without providing any links to the author's home-pages. :(

Last edited: