Old 08-21-2010, 06:29 PM  
absurdistof
Veteran Member
Thanks given: 397
Thanks received: 390

Default Zero G

Greetings from koth_zero_g!

Note: This map is getting resuscitated! You may notice some of these posts dating back to 2011, this is because I pretty much left off development for Zero G when I started...

Last edited by absurdistof; 05-23-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement Sponsored links

Old 03-06-2011, 02:50 AM   #60
Moose
L6: Sharp Member
Thanks given: 599
Thanks received: 296

Default Zero G

Yup, I played well and had a good time. I didn't like that new route with the fancy doors, though. They seemed like they were just crammed into the map, and you could spam at the spawndoor right next to them pretty easily.

Thanked by:
Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #61
grazr
Mmm, hhhyes. indubitably.
Thanks given: 1,204
Thanks received: 3,434

Default Zero G

demos and soldiers had it pretty easy when it came to spawn camping. Especially ontop of the enclosed ramp section that overlooks one of the spawn exits. There are alternative doors which is good but it shouldn't be an issue in the first place. If it can be avoided, do so, and you can start by reducing the amount of health and ammo directly outside the spawn areas.

Overall i thought there was a little too much health and slightly less ammo than there should have been. Engi's would rather setup their gear at spawn and move up with it than try to setup anywhere else independantly. More than likely because of the ammo issue, but also that the map tended to lean towards rambo style play. This isn't entirely a bad thing, it's certainly sufficient for PUB play. Just be wary that it can lead to pub stomping when the objective takes a while to cap and only one team cooperates or some clan members team stack.

Pyros were a little UP because of all the health packs, but also the number of doorways. Demo and Soldier ambush style was a powerful tactic, the burst damage is way more effective than a DOT class that is the pyro. Infact i'd have said the only reason for the pyros was actually to counter all the demo and solly activity with the airblast more than flamethrower ambushing.

I want to say the point was hard to attack and easy to defend, personally i found it this way, but the point changed hands way more frequently than i've seen other maps like harvest which tend to be 1 switch that favours the original capture's team. I found this made the map way more exciting to play on but i wouldn't play it for multiple rounds like harvest because it's that much more intense.

Last edited by grazr; 03-06-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #62
Godslayer57
L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Thanks given: 65
Thanks received: 220

Default Zero G

I personally Think that what you think of the map depends on how you like to play. The map with a full server was absolute chaos, but thats kinda made it really fun as I personally could walk around as a spy and me knife happy.
Though the compactness of the map means chaos anyways,and you can get fall damage in low gravity

21:50 - Godslayer57 |¦FG¦|: I need.....Twelve jammy dodgers and a fez
21:51 - Okrag: Godslayer wears a stetson now
Godslayer57 llGHll: Is it true valve has a massive of secret snacks ? :3
Captain Chaos: secret? no,but massive yes
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8923481/Arakawasig.jpg

Thanked by:
Old 03-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #63
absurdistof
Veteran Member

Default Zero G

Thanks for the great feedback guys!

I agree with pretty much all of you have said. I wish I could thank a post more than once :x

I think I'm going to try to find a new way to take space up with the area right outside of spawn, or at least find a way not to make that pathway intrusive. I need something in that upper area to break the space up, otherwise it turns into a slaughter for the spawning team there.

I've also messed around a bit with the health packs, so they should be less forgiving, and I'll be tweaking the koth timers down to 3:45 or 4:00.

Thanks again for the feedback guys, it really means a lot and I really appreciate it Beta time now

Old 03-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #64
absurdistof
Veteran Member

Default Zero G

Time to overcome the shame of self-necroposting...

Gentlemen, mapperfolk, I bring you a relic of times past! It is time to bring this map through the finish line (which, let's be clear, is still a ways away ).

I'm going to get this back into the testing cycle, and see if some rounds in the ring can't get this back in shape!

Download

New screens!

All the land that the sun touches is yours...

Revamped lift room! (Yes, that is a force lift, yes, it's definitely subject to change)

Reworked back area!

Artsy shot of lower back area, under connecting bridge

The hill itself, mostly the same. The surrounding areas have changed quite a bit!

New spawns!

Last edited by absurdistof; 03-28-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Thanked by: (2)
Old 03-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #65
stevethepocket
I can fix it!
Thanks given: 255
Thanks received: 1,147

Default Zero G

only 90s kids will remember this map

Thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #66
Ms. Mudpie
Oh, let me tell you about my operation!
Thanks given: 247
Thanks received: 359

Default Zero G

Ooh, this looks cool!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #67
Kraken
L5: Dapper Member
Thanks given: 55
Thanks received: 55

Default Zero G

Wait a map from 2011 is getting resurrected.
And it looks good.
Iluminati confirmed.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #68
absurdistof
Veteran Member

Default Zero G

Alright, just looked over the playtest data. Thanks for testing all!! Will edit with changes soon.

** EDIT ** New content ahoy!
Download

The back area was simplified, and the path to the point was removed

New spawn entrances into map! I'm hoping this will make camping less of a problem, but we'll see.

Interior for new spawns! (The spawns themselves are through the doors on the left)

Changes to the courtyard! Added a route down to the below-mid area.

I'm excited to see how this plays! A little worried that the space is too complex for its small size, here's to hoping it's not too big of an issue.

Last edited by absurdistof; 04-10-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #69
absurdistof
Veteran Member

Default Zero G

Alright ok, alright alright ok. New version! Thanks a million for everyone who tested last week, got three with a full 12v12, it was gold, gold I tell you!

Before anything else, Download

Notes for the new version (longer winded, not bullet form)
The big goals I had with this version were to tie each area of the map to the hill. In the most recent playtest, a few people commented that the map could feasibly become an arena map. To me, this spoke to how separated each section of the map had become from the objective.

With that in mind, the lower area of the map (back area) was completely redone to be a very direct flank route to the hill building. The upper area also got some changes that will hopefully establish it as a point of control on the map that influences who is holding the hill.

This was also one of the very few times that I've ever felt I need to expand some areas in my maps. Most of the time they need to be shrunk by a factor of >2

Lastly, I wanted to push out this version so I can hopefully make playtesting, but I'm not happy with how the spawns work in the map. I'm planning on redoing most of them to hopefully achieve the following goals:
  • Distribute players into map towards important areas
  • Prevent spawn camping
  • Provide clear (they go where it seems like they'll go) routes with clear distinctions
  • Allow the map to 'bleed' into spawns, such that there isn't a wall of "THIS IS MY TEAMS AREA HAHA I WIN" at either edge of the map.

Ok, that's pretty much it. Big rant over. Screenshots!

The upper courtyard was expanded by 128 units lengthwise and widthwise. Also note that the flank route to the lift room now goes to the lower floor (sloppy sightline fix, plus could be cool)

The new back area (I'm tempted to call this zone the 'yard' now) was redone to focus on the flank route that leads up to the hill room, and to provide sneaky/ambush classes some room to play.

Artsy pic of the entrance to the hill building. The new back area has lots of stairs.

The hill was moved up to make it more controllable. This also fixed some sightline issues, and will hopefully make the hill room more approachable/capturable.

Map overview! You can see the squareish spawns that very rudely barge into the rest of the map. This shot also gives another angle on the back area

While this was a small change, the lower entrances into the hill building were widened. I'm hoping this will make it easier for players to enter, without making it impossible to hold the point.

Huzzah! New route smack dab in the upper middle of the map. This was intended to give the lift room a valuable advantageous entry into the 'mosh pit' zone below, as well as a sightline to the hill.

Ok, wall of text over! Thanks again for testing, I'm excited to see where this goes!

Last edited by absurdistof; 05-01-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Comment  

Previous Release Next Release
Release Tools