koth_seismic_b20003.jpg

New capture zone size and cover added:
koth_seismic_b20004.jpg

koth_seismic_b20005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
First of all, with the Egypt theme, make sure that people know what end of the base is which, this is particularly important with a map like KOTH where people will be trying to retreat. Also there are some pretty long sightlines that would get dominated by snipers and some very open areas that would be dominated by sentry's. Thirdly, the structure of the point is very small and narrow and would be a air-blast pyro's/FAN scout's dream. You should probably make it a single large platform with some obstacles on it to provide cover.

By the looks of it and i'm only guessing here, once the point is capped, it would be very hard to take back because of the massive defensive bonuses.

It's probably a better idea to go and make sure that everything is working in the map before posting a download as people would be hesitant to play it.

I'm only taking these from the screenshots but when you fix some of your map problems I might download it and take around. Fix these, and your map should be much better

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The sightlines aren't as bad as they look. I am careful of that. There is plenty of opportunity for sniping, but you either lose portions of the room or you can't actually see over a wall, etc. It's about the same as Nucleus, in that regard. Sentries can dominate some areas, but there is always a way for a soldier/demo to take it out.

With the Egypt stuff, it shouldn't be too hard. I'm going to have the sides of the 3D skybox look different for orientation, and there are signs/will be more signs.

I don't think the point would be hard to cap back, but that is what gameplay tests later will show. Right now, no one who has seen this map has thought it would be difficult to recap.

Um, I did realize that I didn't pack the drill in though. So anyone that downloads this won't see it. No big deal, but hey.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Use this please.

Your mid looks very dark and with odd shadows, I suggest adding some generic lights in places that are dark or could use more light in general.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I have added a lot of light, actually. All I wanted on this release was comments on layout. A2 will be a lot better lit.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The second alpha is now out. This marks the first playable release.

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

There are issues I am aware of: nodraw error in the egypt section looking onto the point, a ramp that doesn't touch the ground, the bridge up to the roof area is hard to climb on, playerclipping on some of the blocks. Bring anything you find to my attention, please, I will greatly appreciate it.

A2 changes:
Changed lefthand spawn exits.
Changed paths around the side of the point.
Added a roof area to the Egypt section.
Added 3D skybox (needs adjustment)
Death pit works.
Added health/ammo pickups.
Marked capture zone.
Added NODRAW to some surfaces.

Screenshots:

koth_seismic_a20000.jpg

koth_seismic_a20001.jpg

koth_seismic_a20002.jpg

koth_seismic_a20003.jpg

koth_seismic_a20004.jpg

koth_seismic_a20005.jpg

koth_seismic_a20006.jpg

koth_seismic_a20007.jpg

koth_seismic_a20008.jpg

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
One problem I am having right now is that I want to make doors that open after 30 seconds have passed -- ie, I want some doors to open after the point unlocks. I am not really sure how to do that, though -- team_round_timer? Anyone?

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Create your doors and name all of the func_door entities 'setup_door'. Then create a logic_auto and give it an output with these parameters.

Code:
My output named:		OnMultiNewRound 
Targets entities named:		setup_door
Via this input:			Open
With a parameter override of:	<none>
After a delay in seconds of:	30 <--change this value to your setup times in seconds.
*squints* yeah that should work, not sure if it's the optimal solution but that should do it.

Really nice concept, I am intrigued and would like to test on a full server.
-snip-
A2 changes:
Changed lefthand spawn exits.
Changed paths around the side of the point.
Added a roof area to the Egypt section.
Added 3D skybox (needs adjustment)
Death pit works.
Added health/ammo pickups.
Marked capture zone.
Added NODRAW to some surfaces.

However, I'm not going to upload to the server I admin for until there's some optimisation as it can be a nightmare having 24 people on the server, all complaining of framerate issues. So go stick some areaportals in there!

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I know, I know. Optimization and texturing are my next big projects with this. I was hoping for some more initial layout feedback before I went ahead with optimizing, but that's alright. I will plow ahead.

Thanks for the door help!I hope it works. If not, I can probably bang something out from that.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The door set-up works great! The only problem with them right now is that when they spawn, they are playing the door open noise and they never stop playing it, and I may have missed it but I don't think they ever play the stop sound either.

These are Egypt doors, by the way -- if I leave the sound fields blank, it plays regular door noises and appears to work fine (but it sounds weird).

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
I'm confused,

A. I didn't see spawns (or if I did I didn't recognize them as spawns)
B. if the hill is underground, who would be above ground (other than for the hole in the ground)
C. are these the final textures?

Create your doors and name all of the func_door entities 'setup_door'. Then create a logic_auto and give it an output with these parameters.

Code:

My output named: OnMultiNewRound
Targets entities named: setup_door
Via this input: Open
With a parameter override of: <none>
After a delay in seconds of: 30 <--change this value to your setup times in seconds.

*squints* yeah that should work, not sure if it's the optimal solution but that should do it.

thanks, I've wanted to know that for a while (couldn't find it anywhere)

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I'm confused,

A. I didn't see spawns (or if I did I didn't recognize them as spawns)
B. if the hill is underground, who would be above ground (other than for the hole in the ground)
C. are these the final textures?

A. There's not a lot of signage, but the spawns are currently the only way to get up to the top area, and I mean there is a resupply cabinet in there, and you start in there
B. That's most of the point, though I am thinking about adding areas to drop down into later.
C. No, of course not! My second to last post started with me saying I was going on a detail run, and this is A2!

A3 should be out soon. I hope to include some optimization with it.

lilBro'

L1: Registered
Jul 11, 2009
yyler, I had no idea you map. Any way, here are a few thoughts:

There isn't a way around the point other than the one-way doors or going above ground, which isn't very good for that because it only leads you to a drop above the point.
I think adding a route on each teams side leading underground and back (i.e. not a hole) would solve that.

Also, the spawn doors float above the ground :v

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Oh hi. This is my first time actually.

Do you mean routes from the Egypt area to down below and then back up to Egypt?

What I have thought about doing is taking out the one way doors/replacing that with corridors in the walls. I don't really like those doors, but the initial concept was a ramp going up with props to climb beside it, but that granted too little cover. I am thinking it would be a good idea in general to just make the map more circular.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Not sure about why the door sounds aren't working, sorry. Best advice I can give is to search these forums and find a decompiled version of cp_egypt, you can check out how the doors are done in that.
I have been referencing that throughout constructing Seismic, and as far as I know the doors are fine and exactly how heyo did them. I can only assume that the decompile process broke them, similar to how it breaks other things (areaportals being one). I'll check it out later.

Anyway, A3 is out! I had meant to get it out for gameday last night but oh well.

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

A3:
Texturing. A lot of it isn't final. Lighting may need adjustment.
Optimization.
info_observer_point entities added (though the one overlooking the cap is wonky)
Probably other stuff I forgot

No screenshots because it isn't very different, but I might take some later.

The info_observer_point above the cap is wonky insofar as before the round starts it doesn't show the capture point or the hologram, but it does later. Anyone know why?

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
The info_observer_point above the cap is wonky insofar as before the round starts it doesn't show the capture point or the hologram, but it does later. Anyone know why?
Because those entities aren't active before the round starts.

WRT to the door sounds there is a work around you could use:
  1. Make a couple of ambient_generic entities for the door sounds and name them, say door_sound_opening and door_sound_opened.
  2. Set a max audible distance on them (in the entity keyvalues) and also uncheck the 'Play Everywhere' flag. Duplicate these and put them near each door.
  3. Select all of the func_doors and go to the flags and put a check on the 'Door Silent' flag.
  4. Set one of your func_door entities to have these outputs:
    Code:
    onStartOpen > play > door_sound_opening 
    onFullyOpen > Stop > door_sound_opening
    onFullyOpen > play > door_sound_opened
Now all of your doors will be silent by default, one door, upon opening will trigger the opening sound and once fully opened will stop the sound and play a fully opened sound (like a thud I guess) for all the doors.

Still, it would probably be better to work out why they're not working normally, but if you can't figure it out then this should work for the meantime.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Oh. That makes sense about the point. Guess I'll change the welcome point.

I'll try that with the doors later. That might be how heyo did it! Who knows. I'll keep you updated.

Tyker

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 1, 2009
This glass needs to have the wiring through it. Right now it is kind of invisible.

Also, you are able to get into the opponents spawn. Because of that, the testing kind of went awry so I don't have much else to say about the map.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Oh, shit. How can you get into the enemy spawn?

Also, it's weird that you don't get hurt by the fire -- I copied them straight from cp_egypt. Maybe that entity breaks in the decompile? I think the smoke does too.

Anyway, thanks. I'd appreciate anything else anyone has to say too!