What Admin Mod?

Kaiser

L1: Registered
Mar 24, 2008
What Admin Mod is everyone using to manage their servers?
I'm currently using Mani, but will soon switch to SourceMod or BeetlesMod, Mani is good and all, because I've been using it for years, and know all the commands, and can hook it up with our donator database, but its...Well it has a lot of broken stuff that can't be used in TF2. Hoping other admin mods can do as good a job and have more features made for TF2/OrangeBox engine.

TheBladeRoden

L420: High Member
Oct 26, 2007
I use Beetles mod, but I can't vouch for its superiority over the others since I never tried them

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
i'd recommend sourcemod - just for its optional plugins, so you can have as little or as much of the features running that you actually require. For me its perfect - basic admins setup by steam id / rtv / mapchooser/hlstatsx /ads and thats pretty much all i want running.

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
I'm a seasoned user of both Sourcemod and Beetlesmod. At the moment I use both in tandem, letting Beetles do the grunt work handling class limits, ads, random map cycle and subadmin levels for my server staff. Sourcemod's extendability led me to install it for the Medipack and Ammopack plugins, as well as the sm_cvar command which was later mirrored in Beetles anyway with admin_cvar/@cvar. Generally Beetles is stable and full featured while Sourcemod is modular and occasionally conflicts arise between plugins. Beetles is easier to install I've found, while Sourcemod requires Metamod:Source to be installed first and an edit to your gameinfo.txt on the server.

Both have advantages, but there's no harm in setting yourself up as the sole root user of Sourcemod simply to access the plugins. Both play nice together. If you want simple and quick, use Beetles definitely. If I didn't like mods so much I probably would've ditched Sourcemod since all of its admin functions have been added to Beetles over time.

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
On all the playground server I've settled on Source Mod, with MetaMod and Mani installed within, since there is a great plug in for metamod called maxclass - allowing per map restartictions. I also like the partymod for special occassions.

I find mani by far the easiest for day to day admin and the other two are used simply to be compatible with as many useful plugins as possible.

I've used bettles mod when the server was TFTrue. For me, an ex CSS admin, the familiarity of mani was a comfort.

FernFerret

L2: Junior Member
Mar 25, 2008
I've used Beetles, and for the average server I think it's best. Now with that said, we use SourceMod on ours, mainly because when we need something special, a plugin that would do sounds on actions, and so I extended the saysounds plugin for sourcemod to include actions, aka actionsounds (for those of you wanting actionsounds, see saysounds hybrid edition)

So if you want a bunch of little custom things then go source, but if you want a good overall easy to setup full featured plugin, i say go Beetles

FernFerret

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
We use Beetle's and sourcemod....

Source mod for when I ban someone, it globally bans em on all our servers. Beetle's for all the other stuff.

We tried all the different admin mods in combinations, this is the most stable (and they're being updated more frequently, unlike mani's)

MacNetron

Dec 12, 2007
Are all mods used for when everything is running? Or do they also have a front-end on uploading maps and editing maplists, mapcycle, motd and server.cfg?? Or is that still good ol' dos ftp?
Just asking because I'm making a webpage capable of doing ftp-thingies and editing the textfiles. Just to see if I can develop it :). Would be nice to see a fully developed product to see how they are doing stuff.

Paria

Dec 12, 2007
sourcemod has some mysql functionality included, mainly for the admin side of things i think, but basically most of the alterations i need to make are text editor editing and ftp.

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
The database features in Beetlesmod extend only to admin data, ban lists, etc. There's no direct way to edit the mapcycle, motd or server.cfg through the game, though you can add settings to individual map configs while playing (or via rcon).

l3eeron said:
Source mod for when I ban someone, it globally bans em on all our servers.

Beetlesmod has this too I believe. I remember seeing a section in the defaults.cfg for setting up servers to broadcast bans to. Both Sourcemod and Beetles work really well regardless, and usually when one gets a new feature the other follows suit shortly after.