cp_oreo

Soupstorm

L2: Junior Member
Sep 22, 2009
Last edited:

Urban

aa
Jul 27, 2009
Whats with all the crazy colours? Red and blue fine but bright yellow and green as well? In the tf2 pallate (spelling bad) you hardly ever see green, unless its an alpine map of course. I suggest to stop me (and maybe others) being confused you use the dev reflectivity textures instead of the zany new ones and red and blue for team specific buildings or something.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
The crazy colours are partly for contrast (red/blu/gray is boring to me), partly for communication. Browns are environmental, yellow is railings/other industrial obstacles, green is neutral building/obstacle, red/blue are red/blu, grey is concrete/other. I'm not going to begin thinking of a theme until the layout is solid.

I don't see what there is to be confused about anyway, as it's all placeholder visuals regardless of what dev texture set I'm using :p

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
From what I can see, you are really in the need for colour change, stick with blue, red, grey and white before you get into detailing so people can easily find there way around.

Also, a few large open areas that might cause some problems with snipers/wrangler engies.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Hah, coincidentally those were two of my favourite hobbies when I was a kid :D

I'm probably going to do another design pass before Friday's gameday. I think that the colours are going to stay, though, at least until the layout starts solidifying in theme and I can start placing legitimate structures. I'm keeping everything mildly abstract until the layout is balanced.

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
Here are the issues I see just from the pics:

In fifth screeny, you're forcing people to jump up a ledge in order to get health. Some people will probably find this a bit frustrating, and I'd just add a ramp somewhere if I were you.

In sixth screeny, it looks like you have 2 full healthpacks very close to each other, so I would consider changing something there. Also, I agree with absurdist about the mini-rails.

Finally, although you do have quite a bit of height variation, it's all in the form of floors and small ramps. I suggest you go ahead and add displacements to the ground and work on doing some interesting things with it. Playing on totally flat ground is much more boring than playing on areas that have been displaced well.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Alpha 2 is here. Significant changes to every part of the map. I've also started settling on a Badlands theme.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Alpha 3. Same deal as before, there are too many changes to conveniently list. But I'll do it!

[edit]I won't do it. Not right now. I'm super tired. Also, Alpha 3a. I added info_observers.

Last edited:

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
I changed my download link to a dropbox link. Is this valid for a testing gameday now?

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Can someone please respond to this thread? I put at least 20 hours of work into this so far, including pen-and-paper design, and it's incredibly frustrating when nobody offers any advice, or opinions, or help, or really any comments at all, all while maps that are barely more than a handful of blocks placed without any thought given to balance get dozens of replies and end up on Gameday.

What do I have to do? I've uploaded it several times, my game logic is complete (I even have cap-filtered observer cameras!), I have proper lighting, my texturing is reined in, I have directional signs, I've playerclipped everything that needs it, my sightlines are kept in check and also factor into more efficient visleafing, my itempacks are in semi-good places, my design is at least somewhat decent...

I really don't understand the lack of response.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
After the initial reactions, the only responses you're likely to get are to actual playtesting. Once your map gets played next gameday, you'll start to see feedback.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Thank you. Really, I mean it.

My only remaining question is, is my current (DropBox) download link valid for gameday submission? Last time I had a MediaFire link and that got me dropped from the schedule.

pet

L1: Registered
Jan 4, 2010
from running around on the map a little, it seems very unclear how exactly to get to one major area to the next, and the doorways and passageways between those areas seem pretty small and claustrophobic

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Yes, Dropbox is fine. We don't accept downloads that require a wait period.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Excellent. I'll be keeping an eye out for the next gameday thread.

from running around on the map a little, it seems very unclear how exactly to get to one major area to the next, and the doorways and passageways between those areas seem pretty small and claustrophobic

Yeah, my scaling is still off in various ways. I'm happiest with B so far, but it still needs a lot of work. (Which doorways do you think are the worst offenders?) Also, are the signs not clear enough? I decided to use the arrows to point in a general flow direction rather than a specific doorway/path that leads to the given point, but I guess that's not how most players will interpret them.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
According to Okrag, the second control point doesn't unlock.