Compile Date: 3/27/2008
Development Cycle: Beta 1

================================================== ====

This is a REVERSE capture the flag map, the objective is to take your intel to
the enemy base and capture it there, on grabbing the flag, you have 2
disadvantages:

1: Your speed is reduced by 50%
2: Your jump height is reduced by 50%

On successful flag capture, you will get one point and will have 100% critical to
annihilate the enemy team until the next round starts. First team to six points
wins.

DEVELOPMENT:

Program: Hammer
Known Bugs: None
HDR: Yes
Compile PC: AMD Athalon 3000+ 3.0Ghz~, 2GB RAM

THANKS TO:
Shmitz - Help with displacements.
Dirtyminuth - Help with flag penalties.
Djive - Help with testing and suggestions.

INSTALLATION:

Extract the zip file to
...Steam/steamapps/$$Your Steam ID$$/team fortress 2/tf/maps

Create a server with ctf_torch_b1

All Rights Reserved

Team Fortress 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Software.

Last edited:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Played this the day before yesterdays on DJive's temp server, it is good, but a few things did stand out that need some work.

The outside is way too "hilly".
It's hard to traverse carrying the flag. Maybe lessen the displacements and add props.

R3dRuM

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
Well, the hilliness has to stay because its a remake of the old, and the old had hills

TotalMark

Feb 13, 2008
Did you really have to "xerox" the map?

I just used CTF_Push as inspiration, that's why it's not called CTF_Push. Certain elements are there that wouldn't be on TFC.

Last edited:

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
what kind of feedback are you looking for atm - everything (texture / props/lighting etc etc)? or specific areas (gameplay) ?

the real thing that puzzled me initially was the file size - for a small ctf map 55mb is kind of large, ive had a quick run around it but ill wait for your reply before i start making comments your well aware of or have already fixed.

R3dRuM

Feb 13, 2008
looking for gameplay, style, balance, fun and teamplay. Looks are still very WIP so, will be working on that during the next few betas to make it look more tf2 styled

phatal

Jan 8, 2008
what kind of feedback are you looking for atm - everything (texture / props/lighting etc etc)? or specific areas (gameplay) ?

the real thing that puzzled me initially was the file size - for a small ctf map 55mb is kind of large, ive had a quick run around it but ill wait for your reply before i start making comments your well aware of or have already fixed.

Did you possibly rename the bsp and rebuild cubemaps? This will increase filesize.

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
i had already had a quick run round the map prior to game day, the layout is pretty simple so getting accustomized early on is easy,

hopefully you gained a good insight into how a full server game plays out, in its current state i found the map to be tremoundsly frustrating - for a player actively trying to complete to goal,

i spent the first 5 mins stuck inside our base pretty much , the outdoor sentries placed on the hills are positively evil - they cover the upper windows - the lower doors and the resupplies outside, and with a engy perched behind the hill make them extreemly difficult to take out - i took the sewer route to the base and was promptly met with another sentry as soon as i exited the water :d

the upper levels where the snipers hang out seemed like a good area to try and assault from except i found it really hard a demoman to land in them - they are quite low meaning you jump over them but hit the upper area of the battlements and simply land back on the floor - i know its quite possible if you get the correct trajectory to get in there but as an example 2 fort is alot more forgiving in the range of rocket/demojumps that wil land you onto the battlements. either a small lip on the bottom ledge to make a viaable landing point - or some slight change to the outside walls to help being able to stear yourself into the holes.

The return ctf mode - it was quite funny watching various people carry the flag back to their bases, the run speed penalty made the gameplay really harsh, the game ended up 2-0 but i think if the teams were evenly balanced it would have been 0-0 - the general route for most classes takes them right into view of the 2 respawn room exits before they can get close to the upper capping level - so basically your having to try and combat a sentry farm alongside a stream of fresh spawned players with access to unlimited health and ammo,

i honestly think that the success of the gameplay aspect depends entirely on whether you are comfortable in changing some aspects of the original map - something needs to change - whether its the speed/jump penalty / the placements of the score zone / spawn room exits / the number of routes to the upper level. But after 30 minutes i found it to be a totally frustrating experience,