CP Coal Mine

Feb 14, 2008
First new map for over a year, and it was a year in the making too. It's a 2 CP map in the style of Gorge, featuring lots of height-based gameplay and interesting terrain. Hope you enjoy it :)

PS. There was once an arena map called Coal Mine, I know this, and I'm not changing the name of my map.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
B looks almost too exclusively for soldiers and demo's. Will normal classes be able to capture that what with RED on the higher ground? I guess only tests will tell. I wanna say that that usually doesn't work out well, particularly for A/D maps. But that doesn't really hold up well with badlands 2nd. Still...

Feb 14, 2008
B looks almost too exclusively for soldiers and demo's. Will normal classes be able to capture that what with RED on the higher ground? I guess only tests will tell. I wanna say that that usually doesn't work out well, particularly for A/D maps. But that doesn't really hold up well with badlands 2nd. Still...

I hope so, there's a one-way door route you can't see to the right of the photo which goes up onto the bridge. Only testing will tell!

Whated

L2: Junior Member
Jul 23, 2010
I want to say when I looked the screenshots. I kind of feeled excitement. I wanna play that map in the gameday! =) I think the layout is interesting and fun looking atleast!

Feb 14, 2008
nice use of angled geometry - I'm looking forward to playing this :)

Glad you noticed it, it was one of the main things I was trying to push with the layout :)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The only issue is angled geometry doesn't really work well with TF2. 90% of gameplay is ambushes at corners or ledges. Replacing corners with circular/arched corridors and angled corners less than 45 degrees usually results in spammy corners that nobody likes using.

Everybody likes to see this kind of thing in layouts because nobody uses it, but nobody uses it usually because it destroys gameplay pleasure (or are too much of a nubcake with Hammer). Lets hope that's not the case here. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's a large gamble, if anything the map will fill a layout niche that hasn't yet been filled by a quality map yet.

Feb 14, 2008
I thought I fixed that, oh well, obviously not.

Feb 14, 2008
Added map properly to feedback.

Any post gameday thoughts, even though we played it only briefly? It felt like Red could too easily push out onto the bridge area and take it back, although that could have been due to team imbalance - the Blue team got steamrolled whilst defending that bit.