Mojave

CP Mojave rc

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
CP Mojave
By Hannes "Hanz" Tirez

Managing to pick up the 2nd place in the CP contest of TF2Maps, Mojave features an attack/defend control point map with 2 control points on both the stages it provides. All 4 control points offer different playstyles and strategies to make the map as fun and diverse as possible.
Mojave is set in a desert environment, inspired by Badlands and more. BLUE starts their adventure fighting through a small mining village, and works their way towards the RED underground basement, which is full of stockpiled stuff and... an elevator!

Mojave now also has an _event version which is basicly Mojave B2 with a halloween theme!

All feedback is welcome, and opinions as well!

Thanks to:

TF2Maps, Hampshire Heavies, The Cafe and 2f2f for playtesting
Selentic for setting up 6v6 playtests
And a big thanks as well to DaBeatzProject for letting me use his artpass_dabeatzproject skybox and for giving me lots of feedback and useful tips!
Ravage for helping me a lot with the _event version, without him I wouldn't be able to finish this version in time! So huge thanks to him!

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Okay in the first test it seemed that CP1 was fine I think, and CP2 too hard. But in the 2nd test CP1 and both CP2 were way too easy. :/

Now I don't really know wether I should keep it this way, change a little around CP2 or look for a new test?

Any suggestions?

Untouch

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 25, 2010
Alright I left some feedback on the feedback site, but to be more specific:
On the last control point there is only one way in, leaving a chokepoint and no way to "sneak behind" as a spy or something, make one of the sides a door.

Also one of the ladders near (blue I think) spawn needs to be clipped.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
First seems ok, if not that it gets capped a little quickly. It takes some skilled players do hold BLU back for an extended period of time, but i guess it's good that CP1 always caps. You wouldn't want it any other way, assuming this is a 3 stage A/D map.

Last was too hard. One thing you don't want is for RED to be able to defend multiple entrances from a single position, and this is exactly what you have.

Make CP2 cap time longer, although it's hard to cap, caps are ninja caps that don't satisfy anyone.

I'm not entirely sure what to suggest to make it easier for BLU/harder for RED. The space has some nice gameplay, but if i had to push you i'd say put a doorway where the windows are on the 2nd CP. Forcing players to come at the point from 1 direction is cruel, especially when there's an SG behind that rock that can't be shot at from range.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Well I guess I'll make CP2 a easier for BLU because it isn't nice that BLU get's stuck on a first stage. I might also make CP1 a little harder I think but well, I guess CP1 should be capped by all teams?

I am not sure wether the respawntimes were bad or not, I also don't know if I should make the capture time longer or not?

If you have any thoughts or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
04/01/2011: A2:

(Only 1 stage still)

- Minor layout tweaks
- Respawnwavetime for RED is shorter at CP1 now
- Changed health -and ammopacks around the whole map
- Bugfixes

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Okay I think I'm going to start with stage 2 as I don't think there are any major balance problems anymore in stage 1. I will probably just do the small fixes in stage 1you guys suggested with !fb on the server. If there are any things that you don't like in stage 1, please tell me now because making big layout changes won't be that possible anymore once stage 2 is connected to stage 1. :)

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
1) I disliked how hard it was for defence to counter-push once A was capped. There are only two routes, and one of them is one-way. All defense can do is hold the corner below the balcony, and hope nobody too competent takes the upper route.

2) Point one is a bit spammy. The approach is a bit bare, and the secondary route needs making less dagerous. Adding some angled rocks to make it harder to drop onto the side-route might help, i saw lots of soldiers trying to bounce people off the edge from comparitive safety. That route is unsafe, and the end is small, and it isnt hugely helpful, but more people used it than tried crossing the killing field.

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
reminds of minebrawl

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Figured I should post something in this thread to show it's not dead.

Just kinda finished stage 2 CP1, when stage 2 is done I'll release a new version with stage 1 and stage 2 included.

cp_hanzmap_a30005.jpg

cp_hanzmap_a30006.jpg

cp_hanzmap_a30007.jpg

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Well I think the map was a little too easy for BLU. Could have been because of the spawntimes (BLU always has 2-4 seconds, RED has 5-10 seconds on first CP, 10-20 on last), should I change these? Or was the layout unbalanced? Also I didn't see any sentry set up so maybe the map lacks good sentry spots or are the ammopacks set on wrong places. Could you give your opinion on this?

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
bump, anyone?

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
So we tested it and nothing main bugged me. Last round RED pushed BLU back a little bit so I will be adding a 1 way door at BLU's upper route. Other then that I didn't see any big gameplay problems. Any feedback?