CTF Skyline

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
In a large rocky mountain, a base lies concealed. Two large laboratories, inadvertently merged, the owners of which now fighting to the death over the control of the base - and using the opposing company's plans against them.

(there are a few visual issues - I'm currently trying to fix them)

(the intelligence briefcase is black because I'm using DX Level 81. My computer isn't too good at running games)

TO DO:
Fix visual glitches in the hallways around the center area.
Fix HoM effect when noclipping inside an unreachable room.
Change some horrifyingly ugly lighting.
Remove error model.
Make the map less corridor-orientated.
Lower the metal textures used.
Remove some excessive detail.
And a bunch of other things.

Last edited:

Jimmy Nicholls

L2: Junior Member
Feb 15, 2011
I have a feeling Skyline is the name of another map I've played. Might be just me. It looks nice, but I'll reserve judgement until I play it. :D

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
It looks generally cool, but there are some texturing oddities (floor textures on walls, and places where you'd expect trims etc. Plus detailing props are thin on the ground. Unless you've thoroughly playtested it though, dont add any more: deatiling is sparse for a beta (detailing version) but above the usual for an alpha (playtesting versions, probably what this should be)

Looks pretty good start though.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
at first I thought it was
ctf_sightline and I thought that was a bad name/idea for a map.

but then I check out the pics and wonder where the 'skyline' is. I don't see clouds or Nissan's.

------
You have some decent looking work in there, but it needs windows to make it feel larger maybe. I find the 2 bases in one compound thing kind of odd too, not that it hasn't been done before (cough_nucleus).
Maps just have a better feel imo if the bases are separate and there's an area in between. It mixes them up some, so they look less boring, and it helps players remember it, remember where they are, all that.

frdwrdpnz

L1: Registered
Feb 15, 2011
good job

looks cool. i am working on my first map, i was either thinking of making a KOTH or a payload. I do have one question. do u use the clipping tool to make the ground sloped and such? if u dont, what tool do you use? thank u and such

:clippingtool:

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
I do have one question. do u use the clipping tool to make the ground sloped and such? if u dont, what tool do you use? thank u and such

Probably not the place to ask it, but it depends on what you're doing, for a ramp, clipping tool or vertex manipulation tool, or make stairs. For something like dirt or grass, use a displacement. Never ever use the carve tool... ever. Also, any particular reason you asked here, I can't see much use of sloping ground in the pictures, and there are other parts on the forums for questions like this.

Anyway, back to the map, it looks pretty nice, and it would be interesting to see how it would play out, though there are some weird things with detailing (e.g. corrugated metal as walls and places where metal trimming should be used instead[e.g. inside of window in last screen]), otherwise, good job.

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
looks a bit large, and a bit overscaled, but overall, I like the detailing you've done. Though, there are a few visual things I see that are odd (just the way textures touch and meet)...

Can we get an overhead view to see the layout?
I'll get an overhead view when I've fixed up the middle part, since there is an epic chokepoint there. As for the over-scaling; you're probably getting that from the screenshots - the map itself feels well-scaled IMO - although I will take a closer look at that.
It looks generally cool, but there are some texturing oddities (floor textures on walls, and places where you'd expect trims etc. Plus detailing props are thin on the ground. Unless you've thoroughly playtested it though, dont add any more: deatiling is sparse for a beta (detailing version) but above the usual for an alpha (playtesting versions, probably what this should be)

Looks pretty good start though.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
... but then I check out the pics and wonder where the 'skyline' is. I don't see clouds or Nissan's.

------
You have some decent looking work in there, but it needs windows to make it feel larger maybe. I find the 2 bases in one compound thing kind of odd too, not that it hasn't been done before (cough_nucleus).
Maps just have a better feel imo if the bases are separate and there's an area in between. It mixes them up some, so they look less boring, and it helps players remember it, remember where they are, all that.
The Skyline part refers to the gameplay area being high up in the air. I suppose I should have shown more of that in the screenshots.

I might consider adding an open-air area in the middle, or some kind of bridge.
looks cool. i am working on my first map, i was either thinking of making a KOTH or a payload. I do have one question. do u use the clipping tool to make the ground sloped and such? if u dont, what tool do you use? thank u and such

:clippingtool:
I use the clipping tool mostly for splitting blocks into two, rather than creating slopes - but I still create slopes that way. I use wedges mainly though.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
vert manipulation only fails if you fail ;)

Trying to make slopes at angles, etc... is what makes the invalid (concave) solid. You can even see it in editor if you look close and know what to look for. Mainly making an angle in 2 dimensions is where it'll cause issues.
You can always fix it by cutting the brush diagonly and making it 2 triangles (from top), then you have 2 convex brushes instead of one concave.

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
Discuss vertex manipulations and clipping tools elsewhere... this is the discussion thread for my map.

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
UPDATE!

18/2/2011: B2
* Added two extra routes around the center area.
* Added two small buildings in the center area to narrow down sight-lines.
* Changed some textures.

I'd also like to mention I'm going on holiday tomorrow, so there will not be any updates before next Saturday (26/2/2011).

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
UPDATE!

11/3/2011: B3
* Eliminated major sightlines.
* Improved optimisation.

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
Good news: This map will be featured in today's Gameday! Have fun and send feedback.

Surtr

L1: Registered
Mar 12, 2011
the long hallways made me feel confused. i think you should maybe have more connecting paths to make the players take less time to just figure out the layout of it all. overall, very nice try, but i think some of the effort didn't translate well game play wise.

Good luck, and i hope to play it again.

Sep 1, 2009
Gameday opinion:
-Needs to be less corridory.....thats a new word I just made up
-Higher roof or my poor head will be covered in D00M D:
-You need to place respawnvisulaisers in the spawn entrances as a demo got into the spawn after he followed me in and I had to duel him inside the spawn D:
-No real sense of direction eally I ust ran around hoping to find the intell, needs some distuisghed landmarks for people to see.
-Over use of the x metal floor texture on everything. After a while I kinda got tired of seeing the texture everywhere.