CP Hexa

Soupstorm

L2: Junior Member
Sep 22, 2009
This is a six-point symmetric CP map. The middle two points start out neutral.

Spawns and Times
Neutral: 10s/10s, +3:30
Cap A: 8s / 10s, +3:30, attackers spawn forward
Cap B: 3s / 10s, +7:00, attackers spawn forward

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Protip: use cl_drawhud 0 while taking pictures.

Also, have you tried using Snark's gametype library to fix the capping problem?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
cl_drawhud 0

Just curious, what is the advantage to having a sixth CP as opposed to simply having 5 CPs?

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
I kept the HUD on to make the layout slightly more immediately apparent in the first shot, and then forgot to take it off, haha. And There's no advantage to a sixth point, I just want to see what happens when there is :D

I'll try just copying Snark's entity set. I was originally writing the values in manually to help me memorize the entities but clearly that isn't working. I cross-checked every CP and capture area's triggers and settings and they were all identical. If copying the entities works, I'm going to be convinced that my computer is haunted.

Last edited:

Jimmy Nicholls

Feb 15, 2011
cl_drawhud 0

Just curious, what is the advantage to having a sixth CP as opposed to simply having 5 CPs?

With 5 CPs there are 4 potential scenarios in the map (plus another for when the game starts and the point is neutral, but that doesn't last the whole game).

6 CPs there are 5 potential scenarios. In a 5 CP map one team will always have the advantage after the neutral point is capped. In 6 CP it is possible for the teams to be tying. That perhaps might encourage a stalemate situation a bit more, because for the game to be fair the "neutral" scenario of the game must be equally balanced, whereas once one team has the upper hand you can give them extra advantage through use of spawnpoints/respawn times to make it more likely they will win. Thus avoiding stalemate. So in a way I can see it being a disadvantage.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
First lighting pass is done, but I really, really don't know what the FUCK is going on with my map (pardon the language). I currently have 2 control points on my map. Both are set to be neutral, unlocked, and cappable by both teams.

I compile with point indexes at 0 and 1: the one with the lowest index is permanently locked
I compile with point indexes at 1 and 2: the one with the highest index is permanently locked
I compile with point indexes at 0 and 1: the one with the HIGHEST index is permanently locked AGAIN

though the game plays out normally otherwise (stalemate + Blu win-by-cap).

Also, my map likes to let you play in third person for some reason. Also, over the past 12 hours I've found at least four random "kill !self" trigger outputs on entities. So what the hell is going on?!

[edit] Okay... I set index-0 point to be owned by Blu, and index-1 to be owned by Red, and now it works fine...

Seriously. Haunted computer.

Last edited:

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
I filled my case with salt and crucifixes, and the capture points seem to be working properly now. Tweaked the design, fixed a few symmetry errors, put in some lights, and set the spawn times. Everything is good to go for a playtest.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Agreed, I'm just poking a stick at convention :p I want to see if I can make this map tend towards stalemating only at the center. However, that will rely on the game not stalemating on the final point, which I think will largely revolve around how easy it is for attackers to hold control of the flow gate room.

Snacks

TODO: Clever title
Oct 15, 2009
a1:

Spawn doors don't have respawn visualizer.

Long respawn times, wave is only ever 15 or 13.

Teams never get a forward spawn.

It's very easy to miss the 2nd CPs when going from spawn towards middle, and when going from middle towards enemy spawn if you take the lower route.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Alpha 1a is compiling. I added the visualisers, reduced spawn times across the board, and put up signs for the points. As for the lack of a forward spawn... I guess you'll need a teleporter or two? :p

[edit] Bah, screw it, I was holding off on the forward spawns until a playtest but they're in now. Alpha 1b is uploaded.

Last edited:

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Updated to Alpha 2, download link is there. Big, big changes.

Also, I can't buildcubemaps as per this error:

Gabe Newell said:
Current mod isn't in a subdirectory of "game"!
Cube map buffer size 2048 x 2048 is bigger than screen!
Run at a higher resolution! or reduce your cubemap resolution (needs 4X)

[edit] Turns out that a few of the cubemaps were set to a huge resolution... especially strange, as I shift-copied all of them. Anyway, that's fixed, and I move up to Alpha 2b:
- Cubemaps!
- Soundscapes! (but only one!)
- Spawn and capture time tweaks
- Additional refinements to: Center Building, A-to-B Farmhouses, CP B Area

Last edited:

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Achievement unlocked - Triple Post

Updated to A3C because I'm an idiot and released a2b twice.

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Thanks for giving it a run-through. I compiled as a2d now, and on the initial compile the filesize is 8265kb. But after I run buildcubemaps... the filesize is 7684kb. Is this normal? This can't be normal.

[edit] I've specifically NOT added .cache and .ain files with pakrat. I have not a goddamn clue why this map decides that everyone has a different version when a server loads it. :(

[edit2] A2G is up. If that doesn't work, could someone try compiling it for me? The VMF is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5822947/cp_hexa_a2g.vmf

Last edited:

Soupstorm

Sep 22, 2009
Updated to A3. It's mostly a name update. I tweaked a few signs, added a few more, and manually moved all map content to a new .VMF. It HAS to work this time.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
This map was pretty annoying to play. It kind of felt like you threw some noodles on the ground and then turned that into a map. What I mean is the amount of side paths, flanks, loops, hallways and rooms led to a very confusing map. To top it off, there were zero signs, except for capture point signs, and no clue as to when we were getting deeper into enemy territory. I came across the backside of the other team quite a lot. I only saw my teammates if we respawned at the same time, but we always took separate paths because there were so many and I rarely saw them again.

You need to do a few things. First and foremost is cut down on side routes, or close and open them as certain points are captured for use as shortcuts for the attacking team. Second is put up signs. This should aid both in fighting confusion and focusing fights in certain areas.

Also I don't think I saw any pickups...? Can't say I was looking too hard.

And you aren't copying the bsp from the sdk folder, are you? That could be related to your naming issues.

Edit: AND I just realized you never answered me about the advantage to a 6th CP. I think the overall layout is decent but I am not sure about the 6th CP.

Last edited by a moderator: