I was playing Bioshock a while back and noticed that Fort Frolic's atrium sort of reminded me of Offblast's center for some reason. And it got me to thinking... could it be worked into a decent Arena map?
So gameday was a failure, but we more than made up for it in the Cafe last night. Rounds lasted longer than normal for arena, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I noticed three possible hiccups:
People had a bit of a hard time finding the control point and suggested I either move it or add signage. I can't really think of a better place to put it, so I'm adding some more signs, most prominently one over the door itself. Hopefully people will at least see that when they're running around and figure out where the point is before it unlocks.
I noticed an engie camping the downstairs doors with a mini-sentry. Does this seem like a potential issue to anyone? I have no real problem just removing the doors (I'm honestly not sure what they were there for in the original game; I just left them in for authenticity).
I caught an uncloaked spy trying to hide in the space under the spawn room stairs, so I'm going to just fill them in for now. That whole area is going to be redesigned eventually once I get some theming stuff to play with.
Which brings me to my next point: Theming! I found a plugin that lets GMAX (a stripped-down, free version of 3DS Max aimed at game designers, like what Mod Tool is for XSI) open BioShock's models, and after changing the specified material to the TGA export of the base texture, discovered that the UV meshes are intact! Check it:
Problem is, what I have here still isn't good enough to actually turn into a Source-compatible model, since it's using a flat TGA file for its material instead of a VMT file. And... I'm not sure how to do that. I remember reading that Source's format includes some text files that can be edited; should I just try exporting what I have and then edit the files by hand?
Updated to A2, includes all the above changes plus:
Scaled down the roof in accordance with the source material (I had noticed that it was too wide, but couldn't figure out what I had done wrong until I flipped on noclip in Bioshock) and added metal arches
Added missing light fixtures, which I completely redid to better match the scaling in the real thing, and removed the remaining light entities from the hallways
Added two windows I had somehow missed
Removed nonfunctional water effect brushes; I'll figure that out once I actually get a 3D skybox in
Went to fix the cubemaps, ended up creating a brand-new version. Warmer lights, more accurate windows, a more complex dome, and posters courtesy of Umodel! I'm being held up on more changes because placing the original textures on the walls revealed some significant scaling differences that I'm now struggling to reconcile. In the meantime, here's some screenshots.