How do you silence the announcer?

Archmage MC

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2011
What entity do I need to add/change to silence the announcer for a map? I know some maps have it, but I'm not sure what entity it is.

Apr 13, 2009
Control point entities have an option to disable announcer warnings. Not sure if that's what you want ?

Archmage MC

Jun 17, 2011
Does that also silence her for round start/round end/countdown/ext? I'd like for any and all announcer sounds to be silenced.

Or at least a way to be replaced by some custom files, but I think the best way would be ambient generics around the map and silencing her normally.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
IIRC The announcer can be silenced through the team_control_point entities, which stops her from announcing point contesting. The time announcements can be disabled through the round timer entity.

I'm afraid you won't be able to silence her on payload, arena, or CTF maps.

Archmage MC

Jun 17, 2011
Ouch, since the map I'm making is Arena. Could I replace her sounds with custom ones and have that work? Or would that not do anything?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Archmage are you making a Fort Frolic arena map too and planning to replace the announcer with Sander Cohen? ;)

Archmage MC

Jun 17, 2011
Nope, making an Aperture map, and replacing the announcer with GLaDOS. :D. Lot of people I know wanted an Aperture map, but its just not Aperture without GLaDOS calling you fat/adopted :p.

Archmage MC

Jun 17, 2011
So, Silencing the arena announcer announcements, I'd just have to replace the files like I would any other sound files to make something custom?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
You don't actually want to do that. If you embed override custom content in your map it stays cached and occurs on all subsequent maps a user plays until the client is closed.

Archmage MC

Jun 17, 2011
Ah, guess I'll just have to gauge what people want then I suppose? I'll just put in the files that I can replace for now and hope I can figure out a way. Thanks Snark. If you can figure out a way to replace the 'first blood', 'victory', 'defeat', ext (Stuff I can't replace supposedly) let me know.

Archmage MC

Jun 17, 2011
Alright, Team_Round_timer and Team_Control_Point do not silence the announcer at all, but do allow me to play the sounds I want to play with no problems besides not silencing the announcer. What am I doing wrong?

Do note, this is for an ARENA map.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Valve's hard-coding shenanigans strike again.

The level to which we can customise TF2 maps/modes is incredibly low. Especially when compared to the level of customisation for TFC maps. Things that should be simple enough to execute simply aren't because the I/O's don't exist/the engine doesn't support it.

Archmage MC

Jun 17, 2011
Ah, ouch. Oh well, I can deal without editing any of those files then. Just need to rework how I want the custom voice over for the map to work. Thanks Grazr.