Curve is a payload map with a slight twist. It has one extra control point compared to basic Valve maps which makes it have longer track. There are also couple of obstacles on the track that are moving away once the cart is pushed near them. Plays just like normal payload map!
I usually do not list changes or whatever i have done during development progress but since i released public beta from the map, i think everyone should know the fixes i have made so that issues they have discovered in the earlier beta, might be already fixed.
- made shortcut route from C to B to be dead end for RED. "Jump" to high is now required to get through
- made path to C from high up to be one-way only. Door is now blocking access
- changed route at the entrance of D-point (to high area) to be more usefull
- changed capture point C location (moved it a bit backwards)
- closed down route near D from platform to high area
- added shorter way from D to upper E door by changing circling path at the walls and making that route more usefull to BLU
- added more clips to areas so that players are less likely to bump into some small corners and such
- added missing frame to window near E, it is now harder to shoot stickies, rockets, etc through it
- added additional arrows and signs so that players can easily navigate where they need to go
- added more details, changed some textures, optimized the map more
- enhanced BLU first spawn area to look more better
- fixed global shadows angle
- fixed nodraw crack at RED spawn 2
- fixed missing collision to empty cable reel near D
- fixed BLU spawngates (number 3 and 4) opening through the floor
- fixed detail props appearing through floor near first BLU spawn (door number 4)
- fixed shadows appearing through ceiling in BLU first spawn (they are no longer visible in low cellar level ceiling)
- fixed teletrap possibility inside alternate route to D (coal area)
- fixed last traintrack casting shadow through the pit wall
- fixed RED spawn 2 from blocking players inside the spawn. They now teleport to next spawn correctly when C is captured
- fixed few spots high up on parts of the map where players could access to
- fixed small crack in the floor near B and very small bumpable crack you could get stuck to near D point
- fixed several props, overlays and models fade distances
- fixed sentry being able to shoot through fence making it nearly impossible to destroy (D entrance)
- fixed BLU being able to enter final RED base if someone opened door for them (one door was missing func_respawnroomvisualizer)
- fixed BLU spawn door 4 resupply cabinet shadow
- improved framerates around the map in all areas where it was still possible
Thanks for everyone who contributed in bug reporting and playtesting.
Improved map due to playtesting extensively. Released pl_curve_b7.
Changes from B5 to B7
- Closed useless route near D to make map play more fluently and to guide players forward instead of sideways
- Closed a sidepath that had health and ammobox at left side house near B cap. Moved them more near the staircase
- Moved route near D (right side) to be more direct. It now goes straight and not around the corner at right (less sideways movement)
- Moved C point little backward
- Enhanced left side route (upper way) from D to E to make it more usable. Now the one-way door is more forward than before
- Enhanced last points buildings and layout (changed some textures, added some details and such)
- Adjusted spawn times for both teams
- Adjusted health and ammobox places and sizes a bit
- Adjusted last BLU spawn positions
- Fixed engineers from building on the pit doors
- Fixed RED last base door issues (door had same trigger names and simultaneous use caused problems)
- Fixed issue where players could get stuck between a building and a rock (x2)
- Fixed exploit where engineer could build teleport and get players stuck with it
- Fixed some props and models from hovering
- Removed custom decal that didn't fit the game. It was there merely as a placeholder but i gave up the idea
- Improved lighting near D point and in every dark corner of the map (especially under some staircases)
- Added additional signs to guide players throughout the map
- Added additional clips so that players cannot get stuck into some small corners
I have _b8 in the works. Hopefylly it will make it to the contest but if not, the development of this map continues after the contest. Right now the area around D-E is somewhat confusing and needs to be dealth with. How - i'm not 100% sure as i have many solutions to choose from.
I have extensively playtested this on the community servers i run, with 24 player server and 30 player servers and it has given me valuable feedback. The players have been extremely helpfull and cooperative. I need to make changes that will make D-E area more clear and that will contribute to the map instead of having running around too much on pointless errands.
- Added another same type dynamic element to the D-E area of the map with a little twist:
- Door will now close upon triggering last dynamic element, making RED to take a longer route to battlements
- Improved pathway from D to E (left side up) to be more clear and usefull
- Added "door blocked" to forward blu spawns untill the spawns are enabled
- Fixed being able to shoot through BLU setup gates on beginning or burn through the windows
- Fixed BLU from spawning directly in front of Closed B door in spawn
- Numerous other improvements and fixes
There are some minor things i want to fix in this map before i call it done so there will be atleast 1 beta and i am waiting some additional feedback from this current version. Also this needs more playtesting as i'm not 100% sure if this is too easy to attack at the end or too hard. I might add a slight uphill to the end with a roll backward zone, just near the pit. Waiting input on difficulty at the end. Also point capture time will be changed to 4 mins instead of 4:50 like it is now. I will run this more at my servers in the coming week starting today and adjust things that are in the need of it.
I guess "stuck" isn't the best word. I was hitting a plank of wood when I was pressed up against directly outside of the first BLU spawn. I was standing on a sort of bridge of planks. Sorry about the confusion.
Ah ok, i can fix that. I also have some other fixes while i plan ahead. Just have been waiting to find more issues to fix for the next version that should be pretty much the one before (hopefully) making it final.
I will release RC1 later today. I have been extensively gathering feedback and improved the map based on that input. These are the changes, enhancements and improvements done before RC1:
- Fixed the last BLU spawn lower door from opening when RED team went near it
- Fixed the pit from having nodraw surfaces under it's edges and re-aligned some displacements near it
- Fixed generator sound playing after explosion (near moving minecart #2 at E)
- Fixed last RED spawn door from opening after D point capture (only when RED player went near it, sound was heard)
- Fixed one surface from having seethrough effect (nodraw)
- Fixed grass growing through concrete by alphapainting displacement under it (i wish func_detal_blocker would exist in TF2)
- Added some more clip brushes to prevent bumping into small corners/walls/etc
- Added some more detail, wooden beams and changed couple of wall textures
- Nodrawed some last remaining surfaces in the map and optimized it here and there to more compile friendly
- Adjusted point capture time from 4 mins 30 seconds to 3 mins 30 seconds
- Adjusted initial round time - now 30 seconds less than before when setup gates open
-- Map is now more competitive than before
- Adjusted some brush faces so that textures are properly aligned
- Adjusted some brush sizes so they fit better into the TF2 world
- Adjusted props and models fade distances
- Disabled some shadows from some props
- Improved lighting in some areas
- Slightly changed D to E sideroute that previously opened when D was capped. It is now always open and easier to navigate
- Removed smoke-effect from moving minecarts. They now only have sparks from wheels during movement
Note worthy: this may sound weird but i put the light on the cart blinking when players pushed the cart. However, this seems to break the roll-forward & roll-backward zones within the map.
Blinking light works on goldrush and badwater but these maps do not have those zones at all. On newer Valve payload maps, the light doesn't blink either. So, i had to remove that to get the zones working. I suspect this is known bug for Valve and they also go around it by leaving the light inactive.
Expect RC1 to be released later today. I will make another post when it goes live.