Fr0z3n's Map Start-up Prefab

[RESOURCE/PREFAB] Base Entity Map Prefab 1.0

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I assume a lot of people have something similiar to this, but I thought I'd post it for those who don't.

This is just a small, very simple, .vmf that includes (for both teams):
16 spawn points,
2 resupply lockers
respawnroom triggers
premade respawn room visualizers
default skybox entities (2fort)
general filters (red/blu)
env_cubemap, already set to 64hu high.

Everything you need for the start of a map, all in one place. Just add gametype!

All you need to do is move the entities around and build your map. Save yourself some time and hassle making all those pesky little things.

Last edited:

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
Probably the most useful thing ever invented.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
No problem. It is giving me much less trouble in mapping, no more pesky stuff such as placing the entities on the spawn. For every mapper, starter, fast, advanced even, this makes the whole "Last mapping part - set the spawns ready" much faster, and buy me loads of time.

Last edited:

Unh3lpful

L2: Junior Member
May 6, 2015
When I try to open the .zip it says it is an unknown archive or damaged. I've tried repairing it but then it doesn't have anything in it. It also says the .zip has not file size in winRAR.

Apr 14, 2013
That reminded me of something I wanted to ask for some time-
I know that not all the entities in the middle section, controlling the lighting and shadows, are necessary. The Shadow one, as well as the color_correction, are not really required.
I wanted to ask why did you still include them? Do they significantly improve the looks of the map? Should I change or remove them if I change the lighting? I don't really know what are the default settings in terms of color correction and shadows, and how I should change them according to my lighting and env. settings.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
That reminded me of something I wanted to ask for some time-
I know that not all the entities in the middle section, controlling the lighting and shadows, are necessary. The Shadow one, as well as the color_correction, are not really required.
I wanted to ask why did you still include them? Do they significantly improve the looks of the map? Should I change or remove them if I change the lighting? I don't really know what are the default settings in terms of color correction and shadows, and how I should change them according to my lighting and env. settings.

The environmental entities are for the 2fort lighting, many of those entities you'll need to make something the best looking thing as possible. If you don't like that environment, use the enviro prefab and choose another one to your liking. Or, edit what I have given you to make your own.

Apr 14, 2013
No, that's not what I meant... I know I can edit the settings. I was talking specifically about the entities that I usually don't use because they seemed unnecessary- the color correction and the shadow entity.
If those are 2fort's default entities, I obviously need to change them for my map if I use them. but I never really understood if the fact that 2fort has them, means that my map needs to have them as well.
In other words- are all those entities actually required to make a Valve-quality map?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The shadows one just allows you to change the direction of dynamic shadows in your map. So if you copy the ents from an existing map, or make your own, you'll want to use a shadow_control that also matches the sun angles etc. The shadows made by the light_env by default can be somewhat buggy in some cases and cause issues. light_env is really just meant for casting static shadows (or maybe none, actually).

You don't need to use color correction if you don't want to, but it can help set the mood of your map along with fog and etc. I believe 2fort uses it to make everything a bit more saturated. Many maps (even official ones) don't use color correction at all.

Both these things are easily found on the dev wiki though the color correction one is less useful.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Shadow_control
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Color_correction_(entity)

Fb||Ninja

L1: Registered
Mar 7, 2016
I assume a lot of people have something similiar to this, but I thought I'd post it for those who don't.

This is just a small, very simple, .vmf that includes (for both teams):
16 spawn points,
2 resupply lockers
respawnroom triggers
premade respawn room visualizers
default skybox entities (2fort)
general filters (red/blu)
env_cubemap, already set to 64hu high.

Everything you need for the start of a map, all in one place. Just add gametype!

All you need to do is move the entities around and build your map. Save yourself some time and hassle making all those pesky little things.

hello? do you know to make these accessible from the prefab menu? so i can just go to the side and add it?

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
"Prefab" sort of has two meanings, it could either be a placeable object from the prefab menu, or something you can copy-paste out of a separate vmf (as long as both vmfs are open in the same instance of Hammer). This particular prefab is one of the latter.

Fb||Ninja

L1: Registered
Mar 7, 2016
"Prefab" sort of has two meanings, it could either be a placeable object from the prefab menu, or something you can copy-paste out of a separate vmf (as long as both vmfs are open in the same instance of Hammer). This particular prefab is one of the latter.
how would i place a slidable door?