KotH Montane

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
koth_montane

RED and BLU have set up both their bases nearby a major distribution site atop a desert peninsula nearby two rivers. (Betcha didn't see that one coming: look into the skybox, they're there) The two corporations each want control of both the rivers and the major distribution center, of course, but what they don't know is that the other is hiding a top secret technologic base inside the main façade!

Yeeup, that's so original.
It used to be dynamic, but it isn't anymore and it won't. Because I can.

Last edited:

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Alpha 1 released.
I'll get this tested asap.
No dl links because of a few bugs in spawns that I should have fixed.

Last edited:

MetalKev

L2: Junior Member
Mar 5, 2012
I always like koth maps where you can go beneath the point, like koth_ashville. I even tried to do it in koth_refinery, my first godawful map.
I'm sure you'll have implemented it better than I did.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
a4b updated.
I didn't bother updating between a1 and a4 because I don't know
I must test this so that everyone can tell me if the dynamic element plays terrible, is annoying, and/or is gimmicky

2012-07-01_00007.jpg

2012-07-01_00010.jpg

excuse my partial hud because apparently cl_drawhud didn't work for me at the time

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Not everyone can have a wonderful computer made for gaming.
I run Highframes config and DX8 and that's a little below average. Although, if I run just TF2 without any background programs I'll get 50 fps if I'm lucky. I was running Hammer and Chrome and others behind that.

You should see what I get for maps like Upwards.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Don't worry about it.
I've tested it with my friends and they all get fine framerates.
It's optimized, and plus when I took those screenshots I was watching Crash's and RaVaGe's 72h streams in the background. I'll get new ones out with cl_drawhud 0 out and with that fps bar gone.

But yeahh, I can see why 7 fps would scare you.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Alright, so from the recent a4 test I got back mainly positive results. I'm very happy with the way it went out.
One thing I noticed was the under-use of snipers and the apparent "lack" of good sniping positions. I purposely made the map without them but I'd like to know if people think it is a good or bad thing to not have any positions. Or maybe there was one and it wasn't apparent to me in the test.

Any feedback is welcome, and thanks!

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
While I didn't think the yards between the spawns and points were bad, I'd pay attention to see if they could be tidied up a bit in some ways. The fact that I can't give suggestions may mean I'm full of crap here, though.

Had plenty of fun playing on it, can't wait to see where it goes.

Edit: Gameplay wise, but whatever vague thoughts I'm having about this would be very minor in nature. I can't speak for the left side, as I (as usual for me) stayed mostly to the right.

Last edited:

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
... I didn't like falling down the gaps around the point.

Huh. Do you mean when the point is raised, lowered or moving? The reason I ask this is because I thought one could not fall in the gaps around the point when it was raised.
I'll have to check the demo. Thanks for pointing that out.

While I didn't think the yards between the spawns and points were bad, I'd pay attention to see if they could be tidied up a bit in some ways
Do you mean visual clutter or gameplay/building clutter? If enough people think it is a good idea I can alter the paths to the point.

I did forget signs in a4 but I don't think anyone noticed. They'll be in a5.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Okay, I've been tidying up.
One thing I have a question on --
Should this building be here or not?
building1.png

The circled building really serves no use except for blocking a sightline that would be able to see the exit pictured to the left.
Should I make it into a fence that wouldn't take up as much room?
Here's another pic for reference -
building2.png

I might have to get a test again for this but we'll see.