CTF cargobay

MajorGray

L1: Registered
Jun 24, 2012
This is a medium-large traditional CTF map based in a cargobay. Currently in very early beta, with a finished structure for the map.

Work at the moment is on ensuring that gameplay flow is ok, as well as adding extra props and decoration to bring up to a suitably finished level.

As this is my first map I've made and shared, all and any constructive advice/suggestions are welcome. =)

Note: While playable, this map is currently under "tear-out-and-replace-most-of-it" status. See my post at the bottom of page 1 for details/to add suggested changes.

Last edited:

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
looks very open in some parts

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
I can see some sizeable corridors in your map, particularly in the fourth screenshot.

MajorGray

Jun 24, 2012
That vent structure looks far too long. Fighting in the ducts on Turbine is already pretty bad, I'm sure that these would be worse.
Yeah, it'd be fairly easy to cut that down. I'd like to retain a way to drop onto the intel but I'll try playing around with a simpler vent system so that it's a risk/reward of a quicker route rather than a way of getting around.

Jeremy said:
I can see some sizeable corridors in your map, particularly in the fourth screenshot.
They look larger probably due to the angle of the right-hand wall. What's the usual width of a corridor in design?

Bakscratch said:
looks very open in some parts
There aren't too many open spaces, and what there is I've tried to provide a reasonable (but not over the top) amount of cover. Some of the rooms like outside the spawns look a bit sparse at the moment but that's more because they require decoration... I think.

Thanks,
Gray

MajorGray

Jun 24, 2012
Ok, so got a (hopefully better) fresh build up. I'm still having troubles getting env_soundscapes to function properly - currently it just seems to trigger the first one it sees and doesn't ever switch.

Also I'm aware that the harsh lighting/dark means that the reflections are annoying as anything but I haven't found a workaround for it yet. If anyone has any ideas it'd be great. =)

Otherwise I'm a bit stuck for where to take this next. Ideally I need to test it a bit more thoroughly gameplay-wise but I have no idea where/how to do this. Eternally grateful for any direction here...

Gray

MajorGray

Jun 24, 2012
Updated version to 1j:
> Better lighting in some corridors
> Correction to the logic_auto
> Some additional props/overlays in and outside spawn

Jetti

L5: Dapper Member
May 2, 2010
Now I'll be brutally honest here, and I haven't played it, so this might not be completely relevant, but some sections just look needlessly huge. I personally think a large majority of the player spaces could be scaled down, especially the areas with little to no height variation (EG: Screen 4.)

The Intel rooms strike me as a Doublecross remash; no very creative, but could still be fun to play on. The Decal present there looks completely out of place, as by that point the guise of shipping has been lost completely. ;)

The wooden huts in the first screenshot don't really make sense too much; they just seem to be blocking the space and making the moving of the shipping crates harder in a real-world kinda way. Other than that, the sightline in the first screen is pretty horrendous. Though I guess it's comparable to the bridge on Teufort, as it is essentially the same area.

The Vent system should, IMHO, be completely removed. I don't think many people enjoy fighting in Vents unless it's against headcrabs, if you know what I mean? Perhaps add a small Outside section to replace it - some form of parking lot or security checkpoint, or hell, even the truck loading bay?

Other than that, I believe this map has potential. Good job.

MajorGray

Jun 24, 2012
My thanks to Jetti for some incredibly useful feedback and all the feedback from the playtest yesterday. You guys are awesome. =)

Much to say I plan to tear most of it out and rebuild it, I'll put in the planned changes but If anyone has anymore suggestions thrown up from the playtest or whatever don't hesitate to mention them and I'll add them while I'm doing the rework.

Here's the main checklist of changes I intend to make:
> Lighting to be completely replaced from scratch to make the map more player-friendly. (Specific thanks to a wonderful lighting guide here on TF2maps.net, and the suggestion of using 3rd person to test colour visibility.)
> Main room to be slightly heightened (to aid rocket/sticky-jumping) and the central area to be completely reworked. This means removing the shelters, weird platform and rebuilding the upstairs to make it more involved with the rest of the map.
> The vents are to be replaced with rooftop access leading to the intel, the intel room itself is going to be completely replaced, in particular to reinforce the theme of the map as well as to make intel defence more difficult.
> Number of small changes in particular for the BLU spawnroom.
> "Moar skybox"

(Weirdly despite most early suggestions that it was too open/large, gameplay feedback was that it was too claustrophobic so I'll keep that in mind when making these changes.)

Last edited: