Switchback

PL Switchback a1

Hyce777

L3: Member
Jun 16, 2009
This map involves BLU pushing the payload cart through a series of switchbacks in order to gain altitude to blow up the RED base. Two of the capture points are capped in reverse, as the cart changes direction at each switchback.

Last edited:

Woobie

L1: Registered
Sep 10, 2010
Some really long sightlines still

http://i.imgur.com/hg6ec.jpg
In that image I've given a few suggestions to take away any really significant sightlines.
Green boxes are where I would put a little shack or an extension of a building
Yellow lines are where I'd put a tall, vision blocking, wall
The big red box is a place that I still think would be hellish to push up as the attacking team, no matter how reduced the sightlines were - it is just a LOT of track in a small space. Maybe reduce the length of the turn-around spots.

Really nice job on the buildings and layout, has a lot of pl_upward's feeling to it.

Also I really like the connectivity of it all

Hyce777

Jun 16, 2009
Woobie, thanks- I've actually already done pretty much everything you've said!
In the testing I've done so far that hill is hard but it's not super hard or impossible. It's manageable but if I need to make it easier I shall.

Hyce777

Jun 16, 2009
So according to the gameday test it sounds like I've got a hell of a lot of work to do. I think I'm in for a pretty big redesign here. If anyone could help me out with any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Nytillion

Jun 29, 2012
First and foremost, the flank route is way too huge. It takes too long to get across. Also, it's too open. When I was taking it as a Red player, someone on Blu noticed me and alerted their team before I was halfway across. Make it smaller and maybe give it cover or something to hide behind.

Secondly, height differences between areas.

Hyce777

Jun 16, 2009
The one on the left is gone now. That entire canyon is gone. The route is still there, it's just tunnels and much smaller.

Height differences... That was part of my idea for the map. I guess they're just hard to make work in TF2? I don't really want to make them smaller... is there some way the height transitions could be made easier?

MajorGray

Jun 24, 2012
Being critical:
The main problem I felt was the chokepoint. It felt like it was incredibly stacked against the attacking team at that point. The weird alcove that overlooked that choke was also very obscure from the attacking teams position (I didn't notice it for several minutes) and even then was difficult to take out due to it's depth.

Navigation from the defending spawn was convoluted, it wasn't clear how many or where all the exits went. On the occasion I tried a different 'exit' I'd commonly just double back on top of the spawn or back into it. Also, was the health kit in the pipe meant to be floating in mid air? It looked a bit odd.

The exposed flank route was fairly useless. The push at the top of the hill had a much more suitable flank point around the right and once you'd reached the choke it became useless. It was also much too long and exposed to be of any use earlier. (Also most people initially thought it was a skybox.) Maybe replace it with something just below the cliffline to avoid the length/exposure?

I did like the start though. Maybe against more snipers it would've been a nightmare but you'd set up a few pieces which blocked the major sightlines and added enough cover to give the attacking team a chance. Maybe the first hill was slightly too steep and favoured the explosive classes, but not in any serious way.

It's a reasonably solid map except the hairy choke and a few other bits and pieces. =)

Hyce777

Jun 16, 2009
New screenshots are up from alpha 5.

I hope I've made the chokepoint at CP 3 easier for BLU.
6iHIb.jpg

As seen above, I've made it so no one can hop down on top of the cart from above, and added more cover, as well as killing the sniper area and sightlines (albeit perhaps too much). In addition, the wooden building on the right has a one way exit on the non-visible far side, and the bottom left of the screen also has a one way exit from the metal building, to help blu push.

I'm a little conflicted about the map because of playerclipping... a lot of my friends who test on the server are sad about lack of stickyjumping ability because of the playerclip. I want to be professional but I also want my buddies to have some fun stickyjumping as well- obviously RED base is off limits but some of the buildings I don't want to clip, but balancing... urgh. I'm not sure what to do as of yet.

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Hyce777

Jun 16, 2009
We've gone into Beta!

It's been a while... reviving this thread. I worked on this map last summer, then quit for school and here we are again!

XdIkAgb.jpg

GXoMXiD.jpg

pwnDUPp.jpg

KUg9rR0.jpg

KMANBaJ.jpg

VK8uOqR.jpg

4NRdX5l.jpg