SD ArrJay

Ruben

L1: Registered
Sep 3, 2011
Oh look, a first post from a first time mapper. I've dabbled in hammer before, but this is the first time things look like they might actually be going anywhere.

The layout is blocked out and everything seems to be working. The flag return time has been reduced to ten seconds, which should hopefully make it change hands a little more often and keep things exciting. Maybe I'll make the lift a little faster to balance that, who knows.

All lighting and signing and such is temporary - when I decide on a theme and start detailing things will get a lot prettier. The name will also be changed when I am struck with a moment of genius or something.

Comments and criticisms on the layout would be much appreciated~

Last edited:

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
I can't help but feel that having a direct line of sight between the Australium and the rocket may not be a good idea since soldiers can just take the briefcase and rocket jump straight onto the rocket in the blink of an eye.

Mar 20, 2012
I can't help but feel that having a direct line of sight between the Australium and the rocket may not be a good idea since soldiers can just take the briefcase and rocket jump straight onto the rocket in the blink of an eye.

This was patched since STAR released his video on doing this. At least now, the elevator needs to be at the top for the rocket cap to remain open.

I do concur though - sightlines is currently what ruins Doomsday for me now. Having one from the Austrailium all to the way to the rocket? Doesn't sound like an effective layout.

Also, the area around your rocket looks quite cramped. Perhaps consider opening that up a bit.

Ruben

Sep 3, 2011
There are slopes that mean you can only just see the very top of the rocket from the Australium area, but I agree that the sightlines could probably be reduced (the roof of the Australium building could be a nasty sniper spot when people are around the rocket).
I have some ideas for breaking it up without compromising the choice I was trying to create - A risky bee line to the rocket vs. a slightly safer but windier route through the buildings - so we'll see how it goes.

As for making the rocket zone less cramped, those buildings could probably be moved out a little which should help. Will probably get the map tested first to see how difficult capturing is, and whether any more breathing space is needed.

TheKongNinja

Jul 22, 2012
I agree with the thing about sightlines, but it's looking good so far. Far better than the map I'm working on right now.

Ruben

Sep 3, 2011
Updated to A2, with a central tower breaking the bee line between the case and rocket, along with a bunch of minor things~
M9Q3.jpeg